GT28R without internal WG?

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
Spring Break '92
Car: S13 Chuki

5 years ago I bought my KA-T S13 from an acquaintance. It has always had a bottom mount setup with a GT2560/GT28R. The turbo started making a different sound under boost, so I plan on investigating the root cause, hoping the turbo is still OK. In the event that its not, I want to stay with the same turbo because nothing else will have to be changed around to accomodate it and they are relatively cheap. I have only taken the turbo off once to replace the gasket, and I run an external WG.

The thing is, all of the GT28R turbos I see online to buy new and used have an internal WG. My turbo has no such provisions, it looks as though it was bought new without the internal WG. Either that, or the guy I bought the car from welded the flapper door shut. I have never removed the turbo elbow to see. I cannot find any of these turbos that do not come internally gated. Mine is a genuine Garrett, from around 2004.

I want to stay with the external WG, but wouldnt mind having my next turbo internally gated for the quietness. Could I install an internally gated turbo and not hook up the actuator, using my external WG instead? I dont want to weld the door shut, because I want to have the option of using the internal WG at another point in time. Were they ever offered with no internal WG? What do you guys think?

D-UNIT
Car: a 91' S13 (15.014 @ 94.56mph NA) KA-T

If you buy a T28 from these guys , you can choose any turbine housing on the right. Maybe this is where yours came from. You can also buy the housing out right , without having to buy a turbo. You know , for your future plans.
http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mv ... y_Code=GRT

I personally would love to buy this one -- Speicial turbine housing T25-EWG-44
http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mv ... gory_Code=

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”