Growling sound below 40mph

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
nands7

Guys, two issue with my 2010 may be CVT or idk.

1.Making growling noise when coasting , speed at around 30~35mph from 40mph, once speed falls below 30mph no noise at all..this happens when i brake slowly...feels like from CVT..the noise last 3 to 4secs.the sound is similar to propeller shaft vibration, i can slightly feel at gas pedal.

Changing from D to N doesn't stop the noise.just to isolate the noise.

But when i apply moderate brake (say at stop light) from 40mph going down to 30mph, growling becomes crunching sound lasts 2sec ,if i come to stop with slightly harder/faster brake, no sound at all!!

no whine, no clunk, jerking juddering ,accelerates normally... smooth on freeway. Its 10K mile since CVT fluid changed.

Is it CVT engine breaking? feels like a tooth fell off CVT and TCM makes it grind at 30~30mph

Driving since 2 years with this "feature"..please dont say that my Tranny is done.

2. Engine RPM goes high coming down a ramp without applying brakes or gas.Is it normal to see RPM goes up.

Hope you guys came across this issue and fixed it...please help

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Does it feel like rumble strips? Mine went away after cvt drain fill, transfer case drain, diff drain.

I know changing theses cured my rumble strip feel at 30-40 mph.

But I also had shudder, hesitation, and jerking, UNLIKE you. So I don’t know. :gotme

Rockhoundrob
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL

Just a suggestion....
Is your car a AWD? Could it be the u-joint on the drive shaft?

Otherwise, change fluid like Casper suggested.

nands7

Its kind of rumbling..grinding..not sure, it gives very very slight vibration to gas pedal(unlike CV axle vibration).
Its AWD, i did D&F 10-15K mile back (do not remember exactly) and looks good now,not dirty.

How can i check CVT overfill or not?

I never had a vibration jeddar or jerk except one slight vibration at 5mph while accelerating(not coasting) ,which i believe is from right side(pass) Trakmotiv A/M CV axle,left side is new OEM CV axle (replaced Value adv nissan junk CV axle ,which is a markt'n rip off..caused a lot of vibration..at last dealer agreed...YES!!).
The A/M CV axles don't come with middle dampers,so not balanced & safe to drive..they rust very fast, rubber boot is like 2% fat free .....not sure how they can sell these things.
AWD drive shaft is fine per dealer when i replaced driver CV axle.

I plan to do dealer D&F with proper equipment after 5K run (20K miles in total).
I do not have any DTCs set, so root cause is unknown.

if no other choice, CVT replace is the last thing to do , but root cause/clue data could buy some more time , plan, save some money for a new one:)

No YT videos on this issue except typical high pitch whine or just CVT RPM slip....

what do you guys think? please help.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

First step is to drop the driveshaft and drive the vehicle. That will tell you immediately whether the problem is in the front or in the rear, and you can inspect the U-joints while the shaft is down. If the vibration is gone with the shaft removed and the U-joints are good, the problem is in the viscous coupling or the rear end.

nands7

The sound is coming from front driver side.Its loud and very easily reproducible. It happens only at 30~35mph while decelerating at slow speed (mild brake), not accelerating.

Yes i still have the rear differential viscous coupling (TSB ,not recall) grind at <=5mph esp at half circle turns, which can be easily isolated.
Also per dealer drive shaft is fine ,they checked all corners/ends and found VA Nissan CV axle culprit for the wobble issue.

But i understand a bad UJ can cause vibration ,but here i don't have any noticeable vibrations..very strange.

Return to “Rogue Forum”