ground control + koni strut + aftermarket pillowball setup

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
hungryjoseph
Car: s13 with rb25 and s13 with s14sr20

so who on here uses a ground control sleeved koni strut on here? any commments on them? what spring rates did you go with and why? i see alot of the subbie guys going with this, but i have rarely seen this in 240's.

hungryjoseph

balls

scole

I'd be interested in anyone who has experience with this setup too. I'd like to do the same thing this winter.

adrianfromthecastle
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx

ground control on 240s suck.. or any other coilover sleeves for that matter.

get real coilovers where the spring rates and shock dampers are evenly matched

hungryjoseph

how exactly does ground control on 240's suck? they seem to be one of the best for alot of other cars. not attacking what you said, i just want proof on why they suck. i've been reading everywhere they suck but no one ever says why

boznuttz
Car: MS13

adrians_s13 wrote:ground control on 240s suck.. or any other coilover sleeves for that matter.

get real coilovers where the spring rates and shock dampers are evenly matched
I'm guessing that you have never really owned a set. I currently run the Megan/ Koni Yellow setup, but when I had my GC setup, I was simply in love. I just ran into some money issues (needed cash to snowboard) and had to part out. I used spring rates similar to the RSR racing springs, but with Konis, I could have easily gone higher.

If any of you guys worry about any adjustability issues....just give Eibach a call! You can order any size springs with any diameter/ length/ spring rate/ etc. They have amazing service. You can bet that I will have another set on my car before summer.

I've driven Megan Street and Track, KTS, and several of the lower Tien coilover setups. None of them came close to how much I LOVED my Koni/ GC setup. The Megan coils would start to feel progressively sluggish throughout the day and lap times up at Limerock started to steadily become longer. My friends and I have tested several setups, and we just all fall in love with Koni each time. Not to mention Koni has a lifetime warranty. Blow a set and they send you a new set for no charge......can KTS or Megan come close to that?!

Most people that have bashed on Koni have either not driven with them, or are a little too concerned with asthetics, but when it comes to performance, Koni has most coilover setups....well.......raped.

The amazing part is that you can keep your stock roll geometry and save a ton since you really don't need to invest in RUCA's/ tie rods/ etc etc etc.

boznuttz

Feel free to even look into other Koni and GC options...who says you need to use the OEM strut housings to use Konis?

http://www.sr20forum.com/240sx....html

The only other issue most people have when it comes to Konis, is that they think they are a PITA to install......

......Check my writeup....they really aren't.

adrianfromthecastle
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx

bozz... your probably right... for some reason, I was thinking of some other coilovers sleeves that had a similar name.. in regards to GC, my old room mate had them on his ek civic and liked it..

either way... I still don't understand the purpose of coilover sleeves. why not just get lowering spings?

hungryjoseph

adrians_s13 wrote:bozz... your probably right... for some reason, I was thinking of some other coilovers sleeves that had a similar name.. in regards to GC, my old room mate had them on his ek civic and liked it..

either way... I still don't understand the purpose of coilover sleeves. why not just get lowering spings?
ride height adjustability? its a couple inches but it's still adjustable

thanks for the info boz, i'm def going with this. any spring rates you suggest? i was thinking about 400f/350r

boznuttz

Oh, you won't regret it a bit! F*** asthetics for me! 2 inches at most is perfect as you can still benefit from your stock suspension components.

I used a 5kg/mm and a 4.5kg/mm setup for my first set. I loved it, but could have definetely gone a little stiffer. I wish I got to test them out longer as well as adjusting the rates of my Konis as I would see fit. I had the rears on the lowest setting and the fronts on 2 out of 5. It could be why they felt slightly softer than they actually were...but when you turn up the bump dampening on them, and you really can see the quality of how these things perform as a strut.

I believe you can call Eibach and trade some? ~ not sure on that, but you could certainly order each new spring individually from Eibach for decent prices. That way you could also mix and match.

Since I'm sticking with the KAt setup on the coupe and making new mounts to drop the motor an inch and a half or so, I think I'll go with an 8kg/mm f 6or7kg/mm r and adjust my under/over steer with the bump dampening on these things.

P.S. A lot of the E1 hillclimb guys loved the Konis. When they blew them they would simply dial them to their softest setting and send them in to be replaced without any questions. They loved the customer service, performace, and reputation.

Jgrand03
Car: 1989 240sx

get the koni 8611 setup they are dual adjustable both in rebound and compression a local guy here makes the housings for them and then the ground control setup with 450f/375r handling is amazing and it is still very streetable

scole

Jgrand03 wrote:get the koni 8611 setup they are dual adjustable both in rebound and compression a local guy here makes the housings for them and then the ground control setup with 450f/375r handling is amazing and it is still very streetable
How much is that guy charging to make housings? What are they made out of and do you have pictures?

smocan

Jgrand03 wrote:get the koni 8611 setup they are dual adjustable both in rebound and compression a local guy here makes the housings for them and then the ground control setup with 450f/375r handling is amazing and it is still very streetable
Yes, that guys knows his stuff. He makes awesome stuff, i might be buying his custom pieces in the near future. Ground controls and konis will out perform almost all of these "jdm" all in one coilovers. Until you get into the 2k plus, which is a grey area with most people.

Its really worth the money. Better performance, more comfort, and adjustable.

boznuttz

Or you guys can check out the DIY article I have on how to make them yourself out of your old oem struts!

smocan

eh hes got some sweet powdercoated pieces, top notch... i would rather not mess with the stock ones, i've read the article awhile ago and would rather not even deal with it.

Kouki 2.4

Where can you get the housings?

scole

patrickm1587
Car: 1990 240sx- SR20 swap and a turbo that's absolutely too big, spools around 4,400 and I love it!!!

I'm bringing this back from the dead, but I've got a question. Why can't you just use the stock strut tube and use Koni's? I was planning on getting the GC coilover sleeves but I'm a newb here so bare with me.

poshatch
Car: p.o.s. 1990 240sx hatch

lowering springs on adjustable sleeves = honda

coilovers = nissan

come on guys were better than thattt

nifares240
Car: 1993 240sx Black-Project Car, 1993 240sx Red-SOLD, 1994 Sentra, 2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R SPEC V-Daily, 1999 Toyota Camry

coilovers all the way. I've owned the GC and Koni set up on my Honda days. the lower you go on those, the less suspension travel and equates to s*** ride. the higher you go, the more preload it will have and becomes too bouncy. coilovers are rebuidable as well.

flohtingPoint
Car: 2004 Z16 Corvette Z06

There is just an atrocious amount of ignorance in this thread.

First off, there is no "real coilovers". Coilover just means coil spring over shock. Your "real coilovers" are just really cheap struts in a fancy painted casing with threadings for perches on it. Your springs on your "real coilovers" are trash more often than not, and come with a garbage rating of 7/5, 8/6, etc. Ground Control sleeve over a Koni shock with an Eibach/Hyperco spring on a perch is a coilover.

Worrying about what "honda people" do might do you some good. If you dont know, Honda has been dominating amateur motorsports for the past two decades. There is a certain Honda Civic EX owner in the DC area that I should talk to about coming to the next NICOfest.
lowering springs on adjustable sleeves = honda

coilovers = nissan

come on guys were better than thattt
No, you're not better than that. I used Ground Control sleeves over some crappy KYB strut inserts I had laying around (because I didn't want to beat up my revalved Koni's) when I brought my Corolla to NICOfest this year. As archaic as my suspension geometry is on the Corolla (and believe me, it's down right paleolithic), my setup was better than everyone else using Tein/HKS/Greddy/(insert other heavily overpriced garbage from Japan).

Fact of the matter is, Koni and GC is the combo of champions. Countless SCCA national level winners used this setup. It's honestly one of the no-brainer parts to designing a car unless you have the money to get Penske to build you your setup.

Jah1mon
Car: s13 coupe

Is there any options to have a 300zx rear shock fork setup to use the aluminum uprights with this GC/Koni setup?

Maybe using the rear shock housing of a 300zx with a 240sx specific housing and GC sleeve?

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”