GROM VLite Question

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Big_Tone
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56x (White w Java interior; Tech Pkg)
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Custom 2 1/4” exhaust with Jones Exhaust X-Pipe
Infiniti Sport mufflers

Question for those of you who bought the VLite system from Grom... did you still buy the GPS antenna? Also, anyone know if they're doing a discounted group buy this year? I missed out last year.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

What are your goals? If you plan to just use your phone, you don't need it. If you plan to use the stand alone apps, then you may want to.

Alternatively, and I think it's available, look into the VLite which is strictly Car Play and Android Auto with no ability for standalone apps. I have both (VLine in my M56x and VLite in my wife's QX60). I prefer the VLite if I'm being honest. The only thing I use the VLine for or would is for the OBDII reader app like Torque to be on screen.

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

Ilya wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:38 pm
What are your goals? If you plan to just use your phone, you don't need it. If you plan to use the stand alone apps, then you may want to.

Alternatively, and I think it's available, look into the VLite which is strictly Car Play and Android Auto with no ability for standalone apps. I have both (VLine in my M56x and VLite in my wife's QX60). I prefer the VLite if I'm being honest. The only thing I use the VLine for or would is for the OBDII reader app like Torque to be on screen.
Yeah, I'm leaning toward the Vlite. I remember you sharing your comparison between the two awhile back, but couldn't find it in the forum. I did check out your review on youtube and it was vewry helpful. Thanks!

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

What's the difficulty on replacing the heater core? I learned from an earlier post that mine probably needs to be replaced (thermostat goes from A/C at 60° to heat at 61°. Since I have to remove the dash to do the Grom install, how much more work does it take to get to the heater core, and is it simply removing the old and installing the replacement?

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

Big_Tone wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:18 pm
What's the difficulty on replacing the heater core? I learned from an earlier post that mine probably needs to be replaced (thermostat goes from A/C at 60° to heat at 61°. Since I have to remove the dash to do the Grom install, how much more work does it take to get to the heater core, and is it simply removing the old and installing the replacement?
Nevermind. I just saw a clip of what has to be removed to get to the heater core :ohno: Won't be doing that. Would a flush help at all?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Have you ever removed your knee panel on the driver side? I remember that when I removed mine to do my remote start, I didn't plug something in which resulted in a 60* Cold, 61* Hot condition.

But yeah, Heater Core is a PITA for sure lol.

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

Ilya wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:59 pm
Have you ever removed your knee panel on the driver side? I remember that when I removed mine to do my remote start, I didn't plug something in which resulted in a 60* Cold, 61* Hot condition.

But yeah, Heater Core is a PITA for sure lol.
No, I don’t think I ever removed it, but the thermostat has been like this since I owned the car. Do you know what was disconnected?

Ilya

If I remember correctly, it was the white tube on the right side of the kick panel near the center console. Or the electric connector near by.

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

Ilya wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:26 am
If I remember correctly, it was the white tube on the right side of the kick panel near the center console. Or the electric connector near by.
Just checked and both were connected. Are there still companies that will flush it? And if so, would that even make a difference?

DoN_BLaZe34
Car: 2007 M45 Sport - Sold
2006 FX45 - Traded
2014 Q70S 5.6 - Sold
2017 Q70L 5.6 - Current

Ilya wrote:

Ilya why do you prefer the VLite?

Ilya

DoN_BLaZe34 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:04 pm
Ilya wrote:

The standalone apps are a novelty on the VLine - using hotspot makes my phone run hotter than using wireless AA (currently using a Pixel 8 Pro but also happened with my Pixel 7 Pro and Pixel 6). Plus, if I start Maps or Waze on my phone, as soon as I connect to the car, it's on screen on the VLite. Where as on the VLine, you need to do that stuff on the system which can take a minute or two extra if you are trying to get somewhere quick - like from one TJ Maxx to the other with the wife before the 2nd one closes :facepalm: . Those minutes count haha :rotfl .

The one downside is that if I want to watch Instagram reels while wife is shopping (see a theme here?) in the car with the car running, there is a 1-2 second delay which is annoying as it tries to put the phone audio on the car system (since it's a non-AA app).

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

Ilya wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:05 am
DoN_BLaZe34 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:04 pm

The standalone apps are a novelty on the VLine - using hotspot makes my phone run hotter than using wireless AA (currently using a Pixel 8 Pro but also happened with my Pixel 7 Pro and Pixel 6). Plus, if I start Maps or Waze on my phone, as soon as I connect to the car, it's on screen on the VLite. Where as on the VLine, you need to do that stuff on the system which can take a minute or two extra if you are trying to get somewhere quick - like from one TJ Maxx to the other with the wife before the 2nd one closes :facepalm: . Those minutes count haha :rotfl .

The one downside is that if I want to watch Instagram reels while wife is shopping (see a theme here?) in the car with the car running, there is a 1-2 second delay which is annoying as it tries to put the phone audio on the car system (since it's a non-AA app).
My Vlite came in Friday and I did the install yesterday. It went pretty smooth other than the two screws I have left and don't know where they belong :confused: :rotfl Ilya thanks for the tutorial and tips!

Ilya

Big_Tone wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:45 pm
Ilya wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:05 am

My Vlite came in Friday and I did the install yesterday. It went pretty smooth other than the two screws I have left and don't know where they belong :confused: :rotfl Ilya thanks for the tutorial and tips!

Welcome to the club! Solid choice going with the VLite vs the VLine. Merry Christmas!

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

Ilya wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:25 pm
Big_Tone wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:45 pm

Welcome to the club! Solid choice going with the VLite vs the VLine. Merry Christmas!
Thanks bro and Merry Christmas!

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

The mic my unit came with is defective, so I reached out to Grom for a replacement. They told me they have a new harness their testing that adds use to the built in mic and they're going to send that to me. Looking forward to that (even though I have to take almost everything apart again LOL. I'll post results when it comes.

Ilya

Big_Tone wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:15 am
The mic my unit came with is defective, so I reached out to Grom for a replacement. They told me they have a new harness their testing that adds use to the built in mic and they're going to send that to me. Looking forward to that (even though I have to take almost everything apart again LOL. I'll post results when it comes.
Oh interesting! I honestly have never used the voice capabilities in either of mine (VLine or VLite) lol.

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

Big_Tone wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:15 am
Meant "they're" testing...

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

So, I installed the harness this past weekend and the OEM mic worked perfectly, however the touch screen features were not working, so I re-installed the original harness. I took a look at it later and noticed that there was a wire that was not locked into the harness. I was able to get it locked in and will try again this weekend.

Ilya

Big_Tone wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:36 pm
So, I installed the harness this past weekend and the OEM mic worked perfectly, however the touch screen features were not working, so I re-installed the original harness. I took a look at it later and noticed that there was a wire that was not locked into the harness. I was able to get it locked in and will try again this weekend.
That's poor QA...but hopefully you fixed it! Reminds me of the iJDMToy LED fog lights that I bought which were HORRIBLY soldered. Failed within a month or so. Resoldered them myself and they haven't so much as flickered in like 5 years and I run my lights every time the car is on lol.

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

Ilya wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:35 am
Big_Tone wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:36 pm
That's poor QA...but hopefully you fixed it! Reminds me of the iJDMToy LED fog lights that I bought which were HORRIBLY soldered. Failed within a month or so. Resoldered them myself and they haven't so much as flickered in like 5 years and I run my lights every time the car is on lol.
Yeah, I was pretty annoyed. Each time I feed the wires through the back of the glove box I scratch my hands up pretty good. Having to do it again is frustrating. Have you noticed if your Grom doesn't turn off? Those green lights on mine stay on even after the car is off.

Ilya

I think it stays on for like 20-30 minutes or something like that in case you are doing quick errands. But it eventually does turn off, at least from what I've seen.

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

I reinstalled the replacement harness last night and it works perfectly. No need for the separate mic now.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”