GRM $2008 Challenge 300ZX

A home for 1983–1989 300ZX owners!
evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

if you're not familiar with the Grassroots Motorsports magazine Challenge series go to their site and read up, I'm a 5 time veteran and placed 10th overall in $2005, instead of building another S30 requiring a lot of body work and rust repair, I kinda stumbled into a deal on an 87 300ZX N/A Auto, runs and drives I bought it on ebay, the pic's looked good, it was local and the seller said it was rust free, i won the auction for $710 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...&rd=1well I went to pick it up and found it looks far better in the pic;s than in persone and had a pretty serious amount of rust in the floor behind the drivers seat and this car stank like it had been sitting in a junk yard rotting for years with no t-tops, the rear cargo area was green with mold, I decided I could not honor the auction with the rust being so close to the structural mounting point for the rear suspension, here is the hold once I removed the carpet and deadening materialwell the seller agreed and was just eager to get rid of it and offered it to me for $200, I figured it was worth that in scrap metal so I drug it home, I then went and found a donor 5 speer turbo 86 model at a local junk yard, and bought the whole car for $450, it was stated to have a bad motor and a good trans, most importantly it had all the donor turbo parts a well as the 5 speed donor parts, as well as plenty of other good parts to sell off to offset my budget here are the 2 cars in my garageafter tearing the turbo motor down i found out why it was badsolved that mystery

my goal is to run a low 12 or high 11 in the quarter, I expect to have the car down to 2700lbs with me in it! everything not needed to make the car stop go or turn will be removed, this includes deadening material, hvac, power steering, bumpers etc

the suspension, I plan to slot the rear crossmsmber and strut towers so I can adjust between events, add the fattest set of sway bars I can find cheap, and the stiffest springs I can find cheap and most likely tokiko blues, with whatever cheap or free used autocross tires I can find

body, the car will get a respray of single stage in the stock color which I'll have to check the tag but I believe is aztec red (AG2)

motor, first thing I need is a bigger turbo, this one someone had swapped a T25 into, I'm thinking HY35, or maybe a more tame T3O4E or maybe a T3/4 60-1, gonna home make fuel rails using billit stock and run DSM injectors, once I got to that point I'll figure out what kinda of I/C I can fit in, and what managment is most effective and cheap, romulator? Megasquirt? other? and I might do the pathy intake just to clean up the engine bay, I have a coupla ideas tha might allow it to clear the hood without spacers at the hinge

I'll try to keep this thread updated with my progress, mostly just dismanteling right now, if anyone turns up a deal on used performance parts post up, remember this is a budget limited race so price is key!

and oh yeah I need a bigger fuel pump

nsrZ32
Car: 90 300ZX TT, 78 280Z, 71 521 Pickup, 98 Sentra 2.0 SE, 02 Altima 3.5 SE, 01 Focus s2

awesome project!

Good luck with it and I'll be on the look out for parts for you

Have you considered hitting up a couple of our importers on NICO and see if they want to sell you a nicely sized turbo off of a clip for very cheap?

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

i cna't wait til it gets a little more time in it

ZXR_KiD
Car: 1979 Datsun 280ZXR (yes a real ZXR)

FYI If you want more parts theres a wrecked '87 300ZXT out at the Amen in Bagdad that the guy says still ran perfect when it got wrecked...

might be worth lookin into.

evildky

ZXR_KiD wrote:FYI If you want more parts theres a wrecked '87 300ZXT out at the Amen in Bagdad that the guy says still ran perfect when it got wrecked...

might be worth lookin into.
hmmmm....

ZXR_KiD
Car: 1979 Datsun 280ZXR (yes a real ZXR)

was out there today messin around with a few scout stuff... after looking @ that Z again its a 5 spd car so u know what that means... was on the ground so I couldn't see the diff, and the battery I took with my was aparently too dead to attempt to crank it .

just supplying a lil more info

they also have a pretty cool Gul winged Kit car with an old school L4 in the rear that someone had turbo'd... could be a fun project/toy

evildky

lol, I don't need anymore projects but a better donor with a usable bottom end would be a good thing, currently thinking of harvesting the thrust bearing from the bad motor to out into the good motor and them turbo'ing the n/a motor and hope it don't pop, gotta keep it under budget

Return to “300ZX (Z31) Forum”