Grinding noise, front end, while shifting, slowing down

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
Hynes1987
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback, 1.8L 6 speed manual

I have a 2008 Versa hatchback, 6 speed manual, just under 150,000 km and am getting a grinding noise while upshifting from first to third, then goes away, and reappears when coasting in gear, at low speeds only. Sound only seems to appear in gears one through three. Sound appears when engaging clutch as well, again only from first through third. Flushed gear oil and replaced with proper nissan gear oil (cant remember weight but for the 6 not the 5 speed). Haven't taken it to a shop to have it looked at but figured I would try to get some info on here. I have been avoiding driving the car to prevent it from getting worse. I usually do all my own work because when I did have an issue, I didn't have time to fix myself, so I took it to nissan (fuel pump change), and had to repeatedly tell them, after continuous phone calls and chats, to ONLY change my fuel pump and return my car. Anyone experience this or have any idea what the issue may be?

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Welcome to NICO! Hopefully we can help you get it sorted out.
I don't suppose there is any way for you to take a video is there?

When you flushed the gear oil, were there any metal chunks/shavings?
Have you ever had the trans out/replaced anything?

Sometimes throwout bearings can make a bunch of noise when they go bad, but I wouldn't really call it a grinding...

Return to “Versa General Chat”