Grinding in Park and Neutral, Hard time engaging 1st and reverse

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
DougChungusJr.
Car: 1998 Nissan Pathfinder Auto 4x4

Hey everyone, forum newbie here! I have a 1998 Auto 4x4 Pathy. I've had it about 2 years now. Since I've owned it, I have done new suspension and a 1" spacer lift all around, manual locking hubs, new 4 season 31" tires, a bunch of interior clean up/repair, and regular tune up (I.e. spark plugs, oil/tranny fluid, air filter, etc.). Probably 2 months ago I was reversing from a parking spot, I heard a loud clunk when I hit the brakes to switch in to drive. From there I pushed the gas in and the vehicle didn't want to move until I pushed the throttle to a certain point (speedo also didnt move) and the truck seemed to smash into first gear (does the same in reverse). I drove it like this for maybe 1 km to get it home into my driveway and it has basically been sitting since then. Yesterday I fired it up to try to diagnose the issue and I hear a grinding noise with high idle in park and neutral. With a little messing around, it seems like the grinding is coming from the t-case, as I can feel and hear it from the 4x4 shifting lever, and the grinding changes/feels different when I wiggle it around in different positions. If anyone has had a similar issue or some insight, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm now driving a 98 civic as my dd but I'd really love to get my offroad rig back in action.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

Can you still shift the 4WD lever to 4H, N, and 4L? Have you drained the old and put fresh ATF in the transfer case as well? Your topic title reads like a possible transmission issue but you point to a possible transfer case issue in your description. While you are driving with the 4WD lever in the 2H position, does the transmission operate normally?

DougChungusJr.
Car: 1998 Nissan Pathfinder Auto 4x4

mdmellott wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:50 am
Can you still shift the 4WD lever to 4H, N, and 4L? Have you drained the old and put fresh ATF in the transfer case as well? Your topic title reads like a possible transmission issue but you point to a possible transfer case issue in your description. While you are driving with the 4WD lever in the 2H position, does the transmission operate normally?
It still shifts in to 4H, N, and 4L with ease. I havent had a chance to do a drain and fill yet, but I am in the process of cleaning out my garage so I can get her up in the air and out of the weather to start working on it. Transmission doesn't operate normally in 2wd or 4wd. Thanks for the reply :dblthumb:

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”