Grinding engine sound at 3,000 RPM's....anyone else?

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
Silver08Coupe

I have a 08 altima coupe and at exactly 3,000 RPM's it makes a grinding sound for like half a second. Really weird...

I posted this before, but nobody seemed to have the same issue. I brought it into the dealer and they said that this happens on every 08 Altima (sedan or coupe) and that they are going to issue a recall to have it fixed.

Is this just a Nissan service department BS'ing me??

I'm going to another dealer tomorrow to check on their story...

SHIFT_2.5S
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S

No grinding noise here.

AustinTexMan
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5 SE Winter Frost Blond Leather Premium Pkg Technology Pkg

No grinding noise at all for me. I would like to know what another dealer has to say.

adidas2go
Car: Cycle through all kinds of cars, trucks, motorcycles, and boats 🤙
Once upon a time: 1st turbo Altima Coupe

None for me either. you should ask nissantech06 hes almost a master tech for nissan, he should know

Silver08Coupe

adidas2go wrote:None for me either. you should ask nissantech06 hes almost a master tech for nissan, he should know
I just went back this morning. They said the flexible hose between the manifold and the exhaust was loose or not fused right...so they ordering a replacement part.

You guys think I should ask for another car, being that it has less than 200 miles and already has engine problems...?

jdshift
Car: 2019 Nissan Altima/ 2015 Nissan Altima 3.5/ 2014 infiniti qx70s 5.0

You could ask, but seriously doubt they would give you another car. How many miles did you put on your coupe?

shift_mikey
Car: 2008 Altima 3.5SE Coupe w/CVT

jdshift wrote:You could ask, but seriously doubt they would give you another car. How many miles did you put on your coupe?
I'm pretty sure the car would have to be considered a lemon before nissan would GIVE you another car.

jdshift
Car: 2019 Nissan Altima/ 2015 Nissan Altima 3.5/ 2014 infiniti qx70s 5.0

shift_mikey wrote:
I'm pretty sure the car would have to be considered a lemon before nissan would GIVE you another car.
Right, and agreed. 200 miles on the car with one issue won't get you another car. But, it never hurts to ask............you never know, but unlikely.

SHIFT_2.5S
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S

Silver08Coupe wrote:
You guys think I should ask for another car, being that it has less than 200 miles and already has engine problems...?
You're not the first person with problems. Take a look at a thread by prlwhtcoupe...that guy has so many problems that he should be given 2 free cars!

Silver08Coupe

SHIFT_2.5S wrote:
You're not the first person with problems. Take a look at a thread by prlwhtcoupe...that guy has so many problems that he should be given 2 free cars!
Yea i remember that guy, still sucks that I just got this thing and it already has engine problems...

Smoktout
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5 S

I noticed this on my coupe too. It's not so much of a grinding noise as it sounds like a vibrating piece of metal. Probably what happens is at 3000RPM the harmonic frequency of the engine and that piece of metal coincide so that it vibrates. If the dealer says its only the flex pipe of the exhaust system, that is easily replaceable and does not mean you have "engine problems" . They will probably just swap out the exhaust manifold or the downpipe depending how many pieces the exhaust system comes. I thought this sound was the exhaust mainfold heat shield, but i will listen harder to see if it sounds like flexpipe.

Silver08Coupe

Smoktout wrote:I noticed this on my coupe too. It's not so much of a grinding noise as it sounds like a vibrating piece of metal. Probably what happens is at 3000RPM the harmonic frequency of the engine and that piece of metal coincide so that it vibrates. If the dealer says its only the flex pipe of the exhaust system, that is easily replaceable and does not mean you have "engine problems" . They will probably just swap out the exhaust manifold or the downpipe depending how many pieces the exhaust system comes. I thought this sound was the exhaust mainfold heat shield, but i will listen harder to see if it sounds like flexpipe.
Yea I think your right about it being more of a vibration...interesting you have the same problem.

29Lives
Car: 2008 m35x

Silver08Coupe wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:10 am
I have a 08 altima coupe and at exactly 3,000 RPM's it makes a grinding sound for like half a second. Really weird...

I posted this before, but nobody seemed to have the same issue. I brought it into the dealer and they said that this happens on every 08 Altima (sedan or coupe) and that they are going to issue a recall to have it fixed.

Is this just a Nissan service department BS'ing me??

I'm going to another dealer tomorrow to check on their story...
I have the same noise! It's under load between 27ish to 3000. Even briefly buzzes again as the rpm transits downward through the same rpm range post shift (2008 m35x automatic trans). I've been doing my best to convince myself that it is a resonance based annoyance but im not entirely convinced. Honestly I've been envisioning this PERFECTLY tuned manifold shield zinging sweet perfect little nothings...

Has anyone actually found out what the noise really is??

Return to “Altima General Discussions”