Greetings to all

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
firedane
Car: gearhead, restore old houses, computers

Just a hello and an update on my 92 Q. Pulled the plenum back off, pulled the valve covers back off and found no problems. As you will recall, I had no power, and the pass. side bank sounded like hell! Rattled like bad timing, or the worst case of pre-ignition I have ever heard. I pulled the front off and inspected the chains/guides. All were of the new style. Tension guides are worn, but are intact. All other components look ok. I am going to check the chains for stretch against the new ones tomorrow. It looks like this trip into the engine is for education and maint. purposes only!! I also removed the A/C compressor and condenser to do an R-134 retro. The compressor is a reman unit marked for 12 or 134 so I am lucky. I was not going to do this until I saw the sticker. I have all components out except the evap. unit so I might as well flush and convert. Once back together I guess I will see if the problem is still there. I even used a borescope to look inside the engine at the valves. No bending etc. So onward and upward. Next thought is replacing the injectors as I work my way outward. Any thoughts form on this would be appreciated. Also thinking of EGR and the Air control valve. HOW DO YOU CHECK THE TIMING ON THE CAM SENSOR!!! I have an inductive timing light, several ohm meters and an old fashioned dwell meter in my toolbox.

Firedane

Mayhem_J30
Car: Ummm...My Car

wish i had the guts and know how to pull off the plenum and go deep. good luck and congrats on your work

Professor_Mike

There is an adapter for checking the timing, you will have to pull the coil pack off and install a plug wire inbetween to clip your timing light on. Sometimes the pickup can be laid on the #1 coil pack and will pick up the signal.

juiceman

I wondered about this because I did not have an extension and everyone local looked at me funny when I asked. Trying to get some used wires because I do not want to spend $50 for a complete set I wont use. Maybe I will replace my wifes van wires and use one of those

Do you know where to get the extension?

Also I set my timing via the power transistor but you have to multiply the number you wan tby two to get actual because it firs twice. I do not think this is the most accurate way.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”