Gran Turismo 5 (Official Thread)

PC, Game console and Online gaming discussion forum
biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

Damn I hate you people who aren't at work.

RCA

Possible spoiler

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J59oFt8PgEw[/youtube]

Some how I managed to win the first NASCAR drafting challenge with a .000 split! I had no idea what I was doing and some how won. I also unlocked an achievement for winning in one thousandth.
Last edited by RCA on Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ProudNissanFreak
Car: 2005 Imaginary WRX STi, 2003 Civic

I watched the opening. f*** epic. I have a Civic Type R, Miata, and FC right now. Love the way they all look, especially since they're premium. Took some shots, will have pics later. The races are a lot of fun too. :D

ProudNissanFreak

takethewall wrote:Best day of my life!

I love it so much. Lapping the Top Gear Test Track in an M3... what a joy :)
PSN ID so I can add you

RCA

Um this is pretty awesome!

Birthday Login Bonus!

ProudNissanFreak

NO way dude. Happy birthday! And nice gift!

RCA

Not my birthday...

That is some one on a GT forum. I'm Oct 4

Uncle Dat
Car: 96 240sx, 78 280Z

I'm so excited but the installation time is crazy!!! I'm still waiting, jumpy like a overdued crack head

alms24sebring
Car: '97 Nissan 240sx. First Nissan. First love. Sold.
'04 Nissan Sentra SER SpecV

RCA wrote:Um this is pretty awesome!

Birthday Login Bonus!
Well thats pretty cool

RCA

Hey guys if your having a hard time leveling up and accumulating money, try the GT Karting Experience (Intermediate). I collected almost $70,00 and over 5000 xp by finishing both races in 1st!

EDIT:
this applies to any of the GT Special Events. They give you boat loads of XP and cash!
Last edited by RCA on Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

takethewall
Car: 1994 300zx n/a, 1998 I30

PSN: GTP_takethewall

anyone on here add me please :) just lmk youre from nico

f1seb

The car shadows in this game are so bad it boggles my mind on why they decided to implement them in the 1st place. Guess they didn't work on that area for any of the almost 6 years this game has been in development.

RCA

f1seb wrote:The car shadows in this game are so bad it boggles my mind on why they decided to implement them in the 1st place. Guess they didn't work on that area for any of the almost 6 years this game has been in development.
Yup. I almost laughed. I figured to myself, "Maybe this is what the shadows look like on a hot track"?

There is A LOT about this game that upsets me. So far I am level 13 A-Spec and Level 6 B-Spec and I have logged in some thing like 10 hours or so and I have to say, Forza 2 is better. GT hasn't impressed me yet. It seems WAY too unpolished for a game that took almost 10 years to develop.

takethewall

Forza 2 is in no way better IMO, (unless you are in to livery editors...) but to each their own.

The driving is by far what's most important to me, but yes, the shadows are disappointing. I assume it will get patched eventually. But in my opinion you are getting way more game here than any Forza game released so far.

And GT4 came out in the US in Feb of '05... so 5 years, 9 months. Even assuming they started on GT5 before GT4 was out (which I doubt they did, that's hardly 10 years ago.

RCA

takethewall wrote:Forza 2 is in no way better IMO, (unless you are in to livery editors...) but to each their own.

The driving is by far what's most important to me, but yes, the shadows are disappointing. I assume it will get patched eventually. But in my opinion you are getting way more game here than any Forza game released so far.

And GT4 came out in the US in Feb of '05... so 5 years, 9 months. Even assuming they started on GT5 before GT4 was out (which I doubt they did, that's hardly 10 years ago.
The modifying is miserable.

Try putting a "Stage 3" turbo kit on a Civic Type R (or on any underpowered car):
- Any underpowered car with a more than capable engine sees a percentage increase in power.
So an SR20 with a "Stage 3" turbo (which costs $20,000) will go from 210hp to 250hp. This is insane! This goes for ALL power modifications.

The driving experience is the same as Forza:
- The only difference is that in GT the game is rendered in 1080p and in Forza the game is in 720p. Every thing else is the same. I don't understand what you mean by when you say:
Forza 2 is in no way better IMO...

The driving is by far what's most important to me

No promised damage:
- Even in the commercial they mention life-like damage and I see none. You might get some scratches here and there on a premium car, but that's it. Hit a wall at 100mph and your car is fine, it might have a ding... Maybe. It seems that all the damage is in the rally portion of the game.

The driving lines are very misleading (Not a huge issue, but annoying):
- The driving lines are very hit or miss. Some times they are dead on the money but other times they scream BRAKE but it isn't necessary at all! Parts of the track the CPU AI will be accelerating mean while I am suggested to brake so what ever reason. I am sure I will memorize these tracks eventually but until I do these lines are my guide.

B-Spec
- I have a level 6 driver in B-Spec and he can't compete in the Clubman Cup (Amateur Series). He places 12th @ the TC Tsukuba Circuit.
My driver is using a Buick 62' Special vs these typical opponents.
How does a 707HP / 701 ft-lb 1254kg Buick get out classed by an 02' Audi S3?
It is soo strange when I enter this race, I have 0 problems overtaking the entire pack of cars, but my level 6 B-Spec driver get's out classed. Also the Buick Special '62 is an animal, it handles VERY well. So far the only problems I have had with it in terms of opponents have been 07' Dodge Viper GTS which has ~630hp and handles better than my Buick. But a 240hp vehicle? Something is broken here.

timay
Car: white 99' infiniti i30t

takethewall wrote:Forza 2 is in no way better IMO, (unless you are in to livery editors...) but to each their own.

You mean forza 3 right? It didn't take them nearly 6 years to make Forza 3, and it has better reviews across the board.

I am so happy I didn't spring for a PS3 just to buy this game.

Guess I'll have to get my 360 fixed and hang onto forza for a while longer. Or maybe I can get someone to get me PS3 and GT5 for Christmas, so I don't have to have buyers remorse after buying a s*** game.

RCA

Well I never played Forza 3, I think Forza 2 is better than GT5. Never mind Forza 3.

timay
Car: white 99' infiniti i30t

Isn't it sad that it took this long to make GT5...and they messed up something simple like shadows, and only gave 20 special cars full cockpit and damage.

I love how GT fan boys still stick up for the game to the death. Don't get me wrong, some of the screenshots I have seen have been nothing short of stunning...but seriously, graphics are only one part of the equation when it comes to a good game.

If this game had only taken say a year or 2 to develop, I wouldn't be damn near as critical....but over 5 years to develop...c'mon man.

alms24sebring
Car: '97 Nissan 240sx. First Nissan. First love. Sold.
'04 Nissan Sentra SER SpecV

wow, not looking great. I youtubed the shadow thing... yeah kind of obvious to miss.
Graphics are NOT the only thing but you can't tell that to a 360 user. I agree with your last point too Timay.

dasoupdude
Car: 2005 Z

uh, can someone tell me how to turn autosave off? i think i dumped wayyyy to much money into a civic

takethewall

Who cares about reviews? The press can think what they want, I'll make my own judgement

200+ cars have cockpit views, but I assume that was a typo.

But really. To each there own. Gran Turismo, TO ME, is more what I'm looking for in a racing game. That may be different for you. Thank God we have choice.

I agree, damage right now is lame, but I don't care because I attempt to not hit anything, and don't enjoy going backwards on a race track for the hell of it. The more advanced damage model is supposed to be patched in soon.

The reason for the shadows is because of the dynamic lighting according to digital foundry's technical analysis of GT5:
Implementing a time of day system requires dynamic shadows. The cascading PCF shadows GT employs can look pretty rough. Shadows are computationally expensive and it's hard to expect something beautiful when GT5 ideally wants to render an entire frame in just 16ms.
The article is an interesting read, it can be found here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... h-analysis

Few things about GT5 I'm disappointed in...

Shadows and damage as I said before.

The weather effects aren't stellar by any means. The blocky pixelation caused by the water spray looks awful.

AI is still pretty weak.

Also, pretty poor representation of non-japanese cars as far as premium models go. One Aston? Standard Bugatti? Where the premium RS4? Or a Koenigegg?

And for the record... I'm not a fanboy. I had Forza 3 and loved it for months before I sold my Xbox. I just prefer the GT Series.

ProudNissanFreak

I dunno about you, but the weather, especially rain shows up fine on my screen. Maybe it's my TV settings, but I haven't had any issues w/ blocky pixelation. I agree about some of the standards not being premium, but whatever. I love the game for what it is, the improved physics, its visuals on the track and premiums, and all the features (license tests, special events, online, etc.)

I love B-Spec. I can sit here and work on my essay while my racer kicks a** (or not on occassion, lol).

takethewall

Here's what I'm talking about. It's not super noticeable but it's there.

anti_flag_army
Car: 91 Miata, 90 240sx coupe

anyone complaining about the damage just needs to play more:
http://gamer.blorge.com/2010/11/27/gran ... e-reviews/

takethewall

Oh good, I'm glad.

dasoupdude
Car: 2005 Z

Level 40 for full damage eh, this is pokeman all over again :chuckle:

RCA

anti_flag_army wrote:anyone complaining about the damage just needs to play more:
http://gamer.blorge.com/2010/11/27/gran ... e-reviews/
Yeah I was just about to post that, I found out today.
takethewall wrote:Few things about GT5 I'm disappointed in...
Also, pretty poor representation of non-japanese cars as far as premium models go. One Aston? Standard Bugatti? Where the premium RS4? Or a Koenigegg?
DUDE, where the F' is my Porsche! :facepalm:

Also what pisses me off...
- Cappuccino (EA21R) '95 and Toyota VITZ RS 1.5 '07 are premium cars, but not the Lancer Evolution III GSR '95 or the Honda NSX Type S '99 wtf?

ProudNissanFreak

EA still has the license for Porsche, PD couldn't get it :(

takethewall

Yeah, Porsche thing is a bummer, but I understand the circumstances.

And I agree about the odd premiums... that being said... there are more than enough premium cars to keep me happy at the moment.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

Noticed there are still some "RUF" cars around, so pretty much a few Porsches are there. No telling how you have to get them though.

I've been addicted and going to play some more now.

Return to “Gaming”