GPS

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
drWaLLs
Car: Nissan Rouge 08 / Altima 08

Anyone have a GPS unit with their Rogue? I was looking at getting a Garmin 650 or 750.. Any recommendations? I was also asking to see where most people where putting their unit at.

kk
Car: 2008 Black Wicked Fully Loaded SL AWD with Premium package, Leather Package, Moon Roof Package & Nav

i would be getting fitted by the dealer - directly on the dashboard...

no more any need to fix the gps on the windshield... sounds so cool....and neat...

kots

drWaLLs wrote:Anyone have a GPS unit with their Rogue? I was looking at getting a Garmin 650 or 750.. Any recommendations? I was also asking to see where most people where putting their unit at.
built-in Garmin for <$650

philipa_240sx

That would be the Kenwood DNX5120 pictured above.

Personally, I like Garmin's nav systems. The fiancee owns a no frills Nuvi 200, and it's great. The Kenwood unit uses Garmin's nav system... it should be just as good.

drWaLLs

Nice idea but I was thinking of going the external device route so it can be used in my wife's car also..

I have built in blue tooth and XM - not looking to lose those
Modified by drWaLLs at 10:14 AM 7/6/2008

philipa_240sx

The Kenwood unit pictured could be optioned up with bluetooth and SAT radio. You can also get an aftermarket adapter to enable the factory steering wheel controls.

Anyway, a portable Garmin unit would be more practical esp. if you have multiple vehicles. Even the basic Garmin Nuvi 200 will give you basic turn-by-turn voice directions and the same detailed maps as the higher end units. The more expensive Garmin's add spoken street names, bluetooth, MP3 player, and bigger screens. Mounting can be done via the dash mount supplied with all Garmins. It's basically a flat disc with adhesive tape. Stick it on the dash and attach the suction cup mount.

Roguemeister

I have the TomTom One XL-S. I like the portable unit since I have two vehicles. Got it off eBay for $200 including shipping. It is a good little unit with the 4.3" widescreen and text to speach. I also have a beanbag dashboard mount coming. I don't like the idea of the windsheild mount or the disc dashboard mount, as those leave evidence that you have a GPS and theives may break into your vehicle. With the beanbag mount, you just take it off the dash and store it and your GPS in your huge center console or glove box.

Bacon
Car: 02 Spec v

^^ I have the one xl-s as well.. no complaints..

Goblin
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium Pkg.

I have the TomTomOne 3rd Edition and love it.

Or look here since my pics don't want to work... http://picasaweb.google.com/dendaniels/Rogue
Modified by Goblin at 10:36 AM 7/8/2008

drWaLLs

Well I ended up picking up a Garmin Nuvi 650 - Went on sale at amazon - and had enough gift certificates to cover the cost..

bill875
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Indigo Blue / Premium Package / Fully Loaded

I have the 650 and it works great. Enjoy your new purchase. Be sure to obtain the North America NT 2009 Maps from Garmin. This will add new residential areas and updates some POI's.

Enjoy!

Roguemeister

Got my bean bag mount. Works great! It is heavy (about 2.5 pounds) and GPS sticks to pad on the mount. Spot to the far left works real good and the mount does not slide around due to its weight and the bottom of the mount "grabs" the dash.

bill875
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Indigo Blue / Premium Package / Fully Loaded

Looks good Roguemeister. Which brand of beanbag did you get? I think I will pick one up or order one as I would like to put my Garmin in the same place you have your TomTom.

Roguemeister

I ordered mine from Mountguys. Here is their website:

http://www.mountguys.com/

boooey

Roguemeister wrote:Got my bean bag mount. Works great! It is heavy (about 2.5 pounds) and GPS sticks to pad on the mount. Spot to the far left works real good and the mount does not slide around due to its weight and the bottom of the mount "grabs" the dash.
i was also looking to use a beanbag mount in that spot.. but isn't there a defroster vent right there under your beanbag?

there is a vent there, but i am not sure what it does..

Roguemeister

You are correct; there is a vent there. It is a defrosting vent for the drivers window. Not needed for summer weather unless it gets real humid and your window starts to fog up. I will need it in the winter when it gets cold and there is ice and snow on the window. If need be, the mount can just slide over a bit to the right (there is room) to allow the vent to be used.

denrama

MountGuys.com?

HGS
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD / '97 BMW 328ic

kk wrote:i would be getting fitted by the dealer - directly on the dashboard...

no more any need to fix the gps on the windshield... sounds so cool....and neat...
The dealer's mount looks good but it is a signal to thieves since it remains in place and visible,even when you remove the nav unit. GPS units are a target for break-ins because they are so easy to grab and to resell. Leaving a windshield or dash mount in place, even without the head unit, is a mistake since thieves just assume that the head unit is in the center console or glove compartment.

Garmin makes a great bean bag mount that works perfectly with any of their Nuvi units. I just move it to the floor in front of the driver's seat when I'm not using the GPS and that removes the unit, its mount and the power cord (plugged into the outlet in the center conslole) from sight. I got the beanbag mount at amazon.com for about $25.

Return to “Rogue Forum”