Got a wicked idea.

V8 240sx? Sure! If either the chassis OR the engine is non-Nissan (i.e. SR20 in an RX-7 or LS1 in a 240sx), we've done it.
PantherRacer
Car: 1992 Nissan Skyline R32 RB20DET Sedan

Wicked as in, all that "blasphemy" and "bastard car" type of stuff.I've been thinking of an upgrade from the 180sx to something more reliable and mature, either a 350Z or a Skyline(V35). I'm gonna decide which myself, but I'm open to suggestions lol.

The wicked, "evil" idea isn't throwing a turbo on the VQ, but rather, taking out the VQ, and swapping in a 20b or a 4 rotor Mazda engine. Then mixing in some turbo power on that.

Got the idea from this vid, http://youtube.com/watch?v=LdrpwrN9daM originally I was going to put the rotary in the 180, but why not something newer, classier, more mature, and sexier?

Sad thing is (for me at least) if I want a cheap one soon, I'll have to get a LHD from the US, cuz the Japanese ones are muy costoso.

But I guess I really want to find out what the difficulty would be on this swap. And some opinions to yay or nay .

And don't think I won't do it either, might take a while, but just like I said I was getting an S chassis, unless I stick with the 180 for some strange reason, I'm getting one of the 2

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

I'd rather put the VQ intot he 240SX

the rotary has a lot of pwoer potential, but talk to the guys that build and race them, you'll find out how ofter they need a rebuild and that you have to learn to do it yourself or buddy up with one of the hardcore rotary guys because a norman engine builder won't touch one

if you got the rotary skills have at but i think I'd use a lighter platform, most rotary swaps go into reletively light cars, sucka sa 510's corolla's, spitfires etc

evildky

and does someone want to move this to the new hybrid section? I got now powers here

SR20Essex
Car: 1989 Nissan 240SX, 2007 Infiniti G35 Coupe

20b over a VQ?

Sure rotary motors can rev like mad, but if you put one in such a large/heavy car, I'm sure you will be thinking you need more torque/displacement once it’s done.

PantherRacer

well yeah I was calculating the rebuilding, and difficulties along the way.I mean I still have the idea of putting the 20b in the 180sx. And it seems like a VQ would go nice in a 240, hmmmm I have some thinking to do lol.

But seeing it in the 350 making ~550 @ 14psi and how it smoked the tires and moved like that @ 6psi just got the gears in my head turning. I mean, you could enlighten me to the full potential of the VQ, but I've seen rotas go quite far, and blazingly fast.
evildky wrote:and does someone want to move this to the new hybrid section? I got now powers here
There's a hybrid section now?

whiterps13
Car: white LE hatch

evildky

woot, someone moved it !

Joe

ok im gonna be very blunt and honest

see all those RX7's where people put OTHER engines in there? why do you think that is? rotaries are great in theory. BAD in application.

you are removing a GREAT powerplant for something that is notorious for breaking, being unreliable and having a bad track record. im all for bastardizing cars and doing cool **** if its an upgrade.

this is like putting a SOHC KA24 into a skyline. its the wrong direction.

rustbucket
Car: '90 s13 RB25DET SII

I agree with Kamin.

Do something crazy like a v-12 from a jaguar (assuming it may fit with some banging) or an LS7 or a T700-GE-401!

evildky

the Jag V12 is uber sexy, been a few swapped into S30's, the Datsun V12 would be the ultimate but me thinks they made no spares

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

One thing I like about the rotary, it should be noted that I'm a rotary hater by the way, is the amount of room they DON'T consume inside the engine bay. Leaving ALOT of room for creative plumbing for the IC and any turbo configuration your heart desires.

With a good set of APEX seals and the best cooling money can buy you'll be in a decent position to make good power. My fear is also the same as Joe's, you'll have no balls at all off the line. However, I helped tune my buddies 3Rotor over in Japan, he made 755WHP with the SDS Standalone and hand ported plates. With the ability to rev to 9000rpm...things are fun. But until you hit say 4500...the Honda Fit will be passing you...LOL.

How about an Ole School 454? I've been dying to see someone install one of those. I've seen them in junkyards for $800, rebuild is about $1200 for good parts, or under $500 for a basic rebuild kit. These are the fuel injected versions by the way...just begging for a big single.

Now that my friend....is ALL THE WAY EVIL.

WD

Repo Man
Car: '15 RAM 1500, 4x4

I guess I just want to know what you mean by "more mature". Am I immature because I put an SR in my 240? Or immature for other reasons?

WDRacing

Thats an easy one, you're immature for BOTH reasons...lol.

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

WDRacing wrote:One thing I like about the rotary, it should be noted that I'm a rotary hater by the way, is the amount of room they DON'T consume inside the engine bay. Leaving ALOT of room for creative plumbing for the IC and any turbo configuration your heart desires.
Although they are very tall and have a high center of gravity due to their eccentric shafts. Which is why you can stuff ANY engine in an RX-7's bay... and not have to cut or flare the firewall.

Quote »With a good set of APEX seals and the best cooling money can buy you'll be in a decent position to make good power. My fear is also the same as Joe's, you'll have no balls at all off the line. However, I helped tune my buddies 3Rotor over in Japan, he made 755WHP with the SDS Standalone and hand ported plates. With the ability to rev to 9000rpm...things are fun. But until you hit say 4500...the Honda Fit will be passing you...LOL.[/quote]This man speaketh the truth. My FC couldn't beat my Versa, until the 5th and 6th ports open at 4k (non-turbo... but acts like a turbo). Then it's a whole different beast.

And cooling is always a fun problem. I swear the body of the FC acts as a heat sink, because after driving it for an hour or so it gets really hot inside the car... even in the winter with the heater turned off. And the gearshift knob gets pretty darned hot too. Rotaries get HOT...

That being said... If you want power and to make a rumble that makes V8s look like kazoos, get a Rolls-Merlin engine. You know... the ones they used to put in Unlimited hydros before they used turbine engines?

(ok, so that would be longer than the car itself... but hey..) (and a link for those who don't know what I'm talking about... http://www.82atlas.com/82Atlasenginetest5.mov)

JustinStrife
Car: '99 FRC. 402, Vortech T-Trim @ 12psi = 706rwhp/621rwtq

Kamin wrote:ok im gonna be very blunt and honest

see all those RX7's where people put OTHER engines in there? why do you think that is? rotaries are great in theory. BAD in application.

you are removing a GREAT powerplant for something that is notorious for breaking, being unreliable and having a bad track record. im all for bastardizing cars and doing cool **** if its an upgrade.

this is like putting a SOHC KA24 into a skyline. its the wrong direction.
This man speaks the ultimate truth.

You can go backwards and put a rotary in your car Panther. No one is stopping you, but you're doing the opposite of evolution man.

As for maturity and all that crap you spouted in the first post.. I guess since AZhitman runs a 240sx convertible, KA-T style, he doesn't fall under that category? Remember he didn't get the G35 until a little while ago... Watch your words Daniel-san.

dark_munchkin

My T2 pulled from like 3.5k and up. Boost would spike to 20psi (didn't make much more after 15psi, turned into a heat pump) on a hybrid turbo. It was untuned but it was probably at 250whp or so. Was completely gutted as well. It was a fun car....until it broke lol. You couldn't boost in 1st if you wanted traction but it pulled like a raped ape in the other gears.

My friend has been trying to get me to throw a 360ci in my coupe as it needs a motor. If I had more fabrication experience I'd do it.

mtcookson
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX
1992 Iinfiniti Q45
and much much more

JustinStrife wrote:

You can go backwards and put a rotary in your car Panther. No one is stopping you, but you're doing the opposite of evolution man.

As for maturity and all that crap you spouted in the first post.. I guess since AZhitman runs a 240sx convertible, KA-T style, he doesn't fall under that category? Remember he didn't get the G35 until a little while ago... Watch your words Daniel-san.
I personally think Mazda already knew this... that's why there is so much room in the engine of the rotary vehicles... so you can put something better in there.

I have a rotary pickup (with a bad rotary naturally) and I'm probably going to be putting a VG30ET in there. What's funny though is the engine bay is large enough for the VH45 to fit. That's one over excessive engine bay for a rotary.

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

evildky wrote:the Jag V12 is uber sexy, been a few swapped into S30's, the Datsun V12 would be the ultimate but me thinks they made no spares
neato, I've never seen one, but that's gotta be awesome looking under the hood.

hannibal
Car: Red Line to Glenmont

^ I'd rather use a BMW V12. But I guess theyre a little more costly...

Logan76
Car: Junk

Id keep the VQ, but just speaking, if your considering buying a newer car, do you really have the cash to go and rip that new motor out? not saying you dont just curious, but If I was to do anything It would be a TT ls7 powered G35. mmmm

thomasjamal
Car: 93 coupe

doesn't 4 rotor = $$$$$$$$$$$$$

PantherRacer

JustinStrife wrote:

By Mature I meant (to me) the 350 is refined and more high-class than the S13. I'm not saying anyone who has a 240 is immature, hell no.I'd say the S14 is more mature than the S13, and the S15 is more refined than both of them.

I can imagine someone in a suit stepping out of a 350 or S15 and it not being awkward at all. just like you could see someone in a suit stepping out of an aston martin.

Anyways, if I end up with a 350 and some cash I'd try to throw in a VK or LS....But my fantasy is now an S14/S1x.5/S15 with an RB

KATwo40
Car: 1993 240sx KA-T

I wear a suit to work...and step out of my S13 just fine. People are like "Damn, that dude drives a 240! He must have a HUGE pen15!"

Anyhow, toward the topic: Rotary engine = the 2-stroke dirtbike equivalent of cars. Welcome to rebuildville...often.

Ever seen a road course car toss a rotor out the hood? Yeah, that's always nice to see. Damn things blow OUT of the top of the hood and over the car. SWEET.

For the love of all things automotive, please don't do this.

WDRacing

KATwo40 wrote:I wear a suit to work...and step out of my S13 just fine. People are like "Damn, that dude drives a 240! He must have a HUGE pen15!"
If only they knew huh buddy. Ever since you had that operation things just haven't been the same. Let me know if I still need to "come over" and help out around the house

Return to “Hybrids”