Got a clunk in the front end and I'm not sure what its from, look what I done so far

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
lbrowne

Hey guys,

89 240sx. I have a clunkity clunk clunk in the front end of my car.

I've checked for bad ball joints, they seem good, checked for bad tie rod ends, they seem good too. I've replaced the TC Rods, and put in Whiteline swaybar bushings, still got the clunk.

She doesn't hit hard on bumps, or keep bouncing up and down after i hit a bump or dip in the road, I jsut get a clunking and it seems like its coming from the passenger side.

Any ideas? I get it all the time when I'm driving and hitting bumps, whether it be turning or driving straight. Most noticeable when hitting lil pot holes or cracks in the road.

pushing down on the front fenders a few times and letting go to see if she still bounces for a while...she doesn't, shes rock solid.

your help is appreciated.

lbrowne

Dori Dori
Car: Cars of course

Could be your springs...the coils may be hitting. Do you have aftermarket springs?

Edit: also, make sure your strut tops are bolted down tight too.

lbrowne

as far as i know they're straight from the factory. this car was bone stock when I bought it. could be the originals on it for all i know ;)

i'll check those strut bolts, i'm assuming you mean when you pop the hood, the ones right on top of the strut tower...

Dori Dori

OK, so the car's stock...then check out those strut tops.

big jon's 240
Car: uh....football, cars, and um, cars!

This is one of those "have to hear / see it" to better figure it out. Sounds like you have something loose. If everything is till stock, could be worn out shocks / struts and you cold be hitting the bumps stops. How low is your sway bar? ive heard of some people have clerance issues with aftermarket sway bars. And did you make sure everything was torqued to spec after you installed the sway bars?Do you maybe have a blown strut?There is a lot of things that can cause a "clunkity clunk clunk" when it comes to suspension.

lbrowne

i only replaced the sway bushings in the front, and its not low that its hitting anything. I had the sound before I did the TC Rods and bushings.

Its rattling type clunk it way that it clunks very fast, and you only have to hit the slightest road imperfection to recreate it. She has just over 100k miles so maybe those struts are needing replacin anyways ;)

these vehicles use a strut/shock combination right? :) I believe the spring is separate from this unit though.

tupac03602

i highly doubt this but have u checked out ur wheel bearings??

lbrowne

nope, i've never checked those before on any vehicle, whats involved? :)

ayjay

well this ain't expert advice or anything, but i'm pretty sure wheel bearings are easy to replace...

take off your tire, and you'll see a metal cap on the end of your hub/disc... pry that cap off with a screw driver and i'm pretty sure you can get at it from there... you'll need wheel bearing grease too, cause you'll need to fudge pack the new one before you stick it in there...

i suggest you go buy a workshop manual for your car... it'll tell you everything you need to know to fix almost ANYTHING on your car, as long as you know what the problem is of course :D

ayjay

BTW... i'm havin a similar problem where i get this clunking noise from the left front as low speeds... i'm also runnin stock shocks which desperately need to be replaced...

but let me know if replacing the wheel bearing solved the problem...

peace

lbrowne

i got a chilton's manual but its at my gf's in her garage, i had it there for back up when i was doing my timing chain kit. :)

ayjay

hey i was just goin to tell you that the chilton one is the best.. coo coo... aight, let me know if you fix the problem cause mine might be the same

Dori Dori

Wheel bearings squeek when they go bad...I've never heard of them clunking (and they shouldn't...bearings are pressed in the hub).

GandorE

the wheel bearings can clunk when they go bad, my 1993 MR2 wheel bearings clunked when they went bad.

Dori Dori

Really? I've never knew that before.

What does it 'clunk' on?:confused:

VRT Elektrique
Car: drift

Just because you checked your various bars, lower arm, caster/trailing arm, etc.. don't rule out the possibility of checking the parts where those parts connect. Like the brace that runs at an angle from where you bolt in the TC rod to the front of the car. There are 4 bolts on that brace that can and do break or come loose sometimes. I have seen it on a couple Silvias. You will hear a clunk sometimes but not know where it comes from, its tricky to spot.

lbrowne

Ooooo k, the clunk is now really bad. ANY road inperfection at all and it will clunk, and it will clunk with every wheel movement/pivot.

I can really feel it as well if i hit and bump while turning, almost like the steering wheel skips or juts very easily.

I'm not sure if this would be a bad ball joint or tie rod ends because I can be going dead straight and I'll get the clunk.

But its certainly getting worse and very annoying. She doesn't appear to hit hard on bumps, she doesn't keep bouncing in the front end if I hit a dip in the road, so I don't think its a strut. The top bolts look to be pretty tight..

Dori Dori

Swaybar attached OK?

Could be the ball joint...I doubt it's the tie rod ends (if it were, I'd expect some kind of steering problem, but I've been wrong before so who knows...).

Too bad you aren't local...I'd try to help you out.:-\

NISMOdrift240
Car: 1995 240SX AT 4-lug

go check out your struts. you know they need replacing. when i bought my 240, everything was stock, and eventually, i got the same noise youre describing. its definately not the wheel bearing, otherwise it would hum loudly on the freeway. once i got my KYBs, it went away. same noise came from my jeep cherokee, and my mechanic said it was the struts. check em out. sounds like its them.

ayjay

NISMOdrift240 wrote:...once i got my KYBs, it went away. same noise came from my jeep cherokee, and my mechanic said it was the struts. check em out. sounds like its them.

sweeet!! i have the same problem that this guy has, and i actually created a thread about it a while back...

but ya, SWEEET!! cause i just bought two new KYB GR2 struts, and i'm plannin on installing them on thursday, so i'll let you know if it fixes the problem...

BabyboyDeLa240
Car: Cars, Girls, and Money

CHECK~ i have probably the same problem but sounds a little different or not as bad as what you are experiencing. I get the grinding or clunky noise especially on dips but usually in the mornings when its cold and has been sitting there over night. Maybe my springs are tight or something not sure or could be my shocks/struts. So like it would be great to know what it is or was after you get it fixed. thanks i also have a '95 240

lbrowne

i'm pretty sure its my strut now, my freind's old civic was doing the exact same noise and it was the strut.

i lifted the front up and theres no play in the tire indicating a bad balljoint.

with the car on the ground if i start pushing and lifting on the fender i can already start hearing the clunking with the strut movement.

ayjay

YUP! it was the strut... but damn ball joints!! gotta replace those now too :(

NISMOdrift240
Car: 1995 240SX AT 4-lug

ayjay wrote:YUP! it was the strut... but damn ball joints!! gotta replace those now too :(

Sweet! good to hear man.

lbrowne

It was the strut.... :)

the passenger side, but i have bought 2 because I was going to replace both anyways :)

LE240

BRAKE CALIPER BOLTED ON TIGHT?

lbrowne

i did both struts for the hell of it and the car rides nice.

its good to do and its not a hard job.

SilGuy

What are some symptoms of bad ball joints in the front? Mine makes clicking noises, but not when i'm driving. Usually, when I start from the get go, straight or turning. When i'm moving, it seems fine. Could it be my ball joint? Thanx

lbrowne

well, mine made a clunk noise over the most minor road imperfection. and it was the strut.

driving along normally on smooth roads it wouldn't do it but if i was turning or anything and hit a dip or a crack and the like i was get a clunk.

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”