Good T2 Sized Turbo Options

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
eazye2000
Car: S13 KA-DET

I wanted to see if anyone else had some good experience with the T2 turbos.

I've always been the guy to go against the grain in the KA-T world. And I've always been a sucker for the T2 turbos. So I got this turbo since it was the biggest one available in a T2 platform.
I wanted to see if anyone was interested in it, since I've thought about getting rid of it for a larger setup. Nothing wrong with it, but I would sell it if someone wanted it so I could fund a new setup. If not, I would keep it.

But I've always had good luck with T2 turbo's. All have been .86ar turbines. I've had a 2860RS, a 2871R, and this 3076R. I've spent like 3,500 bucks 'playing' with them, trying to find one I liked. Honestly I like them all. Fast spool, great power. And if you externally wastegate the manifold like I did, you don't have the issues that the T2 internal gate see's. Like crazy manifold pressures, or blowing gaskets. What's nice is all the exhaust going through that little T2 flange at that point, spools the turbo. No more "ALL of it has to go through, then get wasted out the gate". Really wish I could explain it better.

The 2860RS was a crazy little turbo. Damn near super'charger'ish... I had 10psi at 2,200 rpm's, and it shot like a rocket to like 18psi by 2,800 or so. But wouldn't hold anything over 18psi up to redline.
With the 2871R, and the 3076R, the only difference is the 3076R can go with higher boost and not fall on it's face. Same power at the same boost levels between the two. 2871R went to about 22psi before it couldn't hold it's own to redline. The 3076R went to 28psi and held until redline. But obviously spooled just a tad slower than the aforementioned 2860RS.
The 3076R at 18psi netted me 1/4 mile runs in the low 12's, at 120 MPH on average. This puts the car at 330-390whp at the crank. As I said before, I ran as much as 28psi with race fuel, but never ran the car with sticky's due to not wanting to grenade a transmission or rear end.

With some supporting modifications, and some homework, you can make a T2 a fun daily driver. And you can also blister some a** on the street, as well as the track. I really want to get the people who have never had such turbos, to quiet down and stop spreading the nonsense around the net about T2 turbos sucking for the KA, or any other medium/large displacement 4-cyl.

So this thread is to share my love for the T2 turbos, and to have others consider putting a T2 on their car if they want a decent daily driver that's quick. I'm not saying it's perfect, cost effective, or the smartest. But it sure does work.
Don't let others dissuade you from doing it. But if you plan on keeping a low key KA, or not plan on going over a certain horsepower goal, then I say give it a shot. But after 5 years, I'm going to try something different. I enjoyed it. And I enjoyed smacking peoples e-weiners down when they came on trying to put some negative, or misleading information about the setups.
If you read this, I appreciate it. Please discuss any questions you may have about the T2 setup. I've had quite a few of these setups, so I hope to have some insight and will try to answer any questions you may have.

E~

Here's a video that a buddy got for me from last year with the 3076R.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GQ_4ZMT ... r_embedded

motoman399
Car: 98' wrecked (RHD coming soon) 240

pretty good info. not my style personally, but a boosted KA is a boosted KA. cant beat that!

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Unless you spend 1200+ on the turbo, the T2 is too small. That's just fact homie. I suppose if you want to run 8-10 psi at the most, then you'd be ok. But if you want to run more then that you'll need a GT type turbo, like the ones you've had experience with.

A simple T3/TO4E will flow as much as the GT type T2 turbo's on the compressor side and outflow them on the exhaust side...and do it for about $700 less. For $700 you can get injectors and a ROM tune. Hard to argue with that line of thinking.

I would rock a 2871R, hell I'd use the 2860 disco potato you're so fond of. If I remember correctly you loved that turbo and shouldn't have upgraded. If you want power, you use a T3 or better turbo. It just makes more sense unless you're willing to spend 3500 bucks screwing around...lol.

Now that we have several T3 manifolds that are affordable there isn't much of a reason not to go T3.

eazye2000

You pretty much nailed it WD. With so many more options out there now, than there was 5-6 years ago, it's almost dumb to not go with a T3 setup. There are so many T3's that are as small as a T2, but then go as high as a T3/T67; so there is plenty of room for upgrade or screwing around.
Not to mention, with the discovery of the Holset turbos and aftermarket housings, it's so much easier sourcing a cheap turbo that is capable of 500whp in it's original form even.
But my goal in the thread, was to encourage people who are hell-bent on going T2, to not be discouraged and go for it. I was touching 500whp with my T2/3076R, so I was happy.
And yes, I spent quite a bit of money on turbo's d!cking around trying to find one that suited me. But, I only had 140 bucks in a T2 manifold and turbo elbow. I felt, at the time, like it was a good trade-off in money.
I've had my T2 manifold for over 5 years. Never cracked, and it's had a few different turbos on it, as well as has been on and off about 5 times with each turbo. I'm actually going to use it flipped over, and weld on a T3 flange so I can put my Holset on it.
So yeah, the nay saying about T2's being too small, and the manifolds always crack; it's just a bunch of hoop-lah, unless you've owned them and put them through hell like I have.
But you have to remember to watch the compressor maps on the T2 turbos. If you go anywhere outside of it, it's so easy to turn the thing into a heat pump since they spool like a dremel... I think that's the worst part about them.
So yeah, a little bit more information out there. I'm glad to discuss anything about them. Maybe WD or another moderator can figure out a better title for the thread than what I originally picked.

WDRacing

Changed the title :dblthumb:

eazye2000

I guess that lasted longer than I had thought.

I'm getting rid of the 3076R if anyone is interested.

motoman399

i just made a sr20 t2 manifold fit on a ka. kinda related to the topic...

WDRacing

Ghey...just sayin :chuckle:

neverlift

WDRacing wrote:Ghey...just sayin :chuckle:
:facepalm:
I have a t2 manifold for sale.. probably cost less than the hacked manifold cost to posses and modify.. IDK good luck with the manifold might work.

Still strongly feel a t3 is the minimum flange size for a ka :inout:

motoman399

neverlift wrote:
WDRacing wrote:Ghey...just sayin :chuckle:
:facepalm:
I have a t2 manifold for sale.. probably cost less than the hacked manifold cost to posses and modify.. IDK good luck with the manifold might work.

Still strongly feel a t3 is the minimum flange size for a ka :inout:
i did it for a guy. not for myself. and i only charged 75 and his setup looks completely stock. im gonna have to agree though, i think the t2 is too small. thats why i went with a t4!

eazye2000

Well, I think I've had the most experience with the T2's. While most stock T2's that come on vehicles from the factory, are too small; The GT series (especially ball bearing) are a formidable turbo. I loved having 10psi at 2200rpms, and could just touch 500whp when I wanted. Not a lot of people can say they did that. Not even the rich kids who have all Full-Race and twin scroll hybrids.
This thread was for people to get facts, and detailed information about setups with T2 turbo's, not for naysayers that haven't run them. Also, for the people who want a mild upgrade in power, and mostly bolt-on parts. The worst I had to do in the beginning, was lengthen the turbo outlet 2 inches since the KA sits a little higher in the bay. Everything else was bolt on.
I guess there is always going to be people who disagree with things they aren't familiar with. I guess I'm that exception that likes to try and help other people, when some people wont.

s13drifter88
Car: 93 S13 Coupe CA18DET (Money pit)
1996 D21 Hardbody (Work truck/daily)
!993 Del Sol (Daily)
1987 Pontiac GTA (Drag project, other money pit)
1989 SOHC S13 Buzz Car

WD, I remember talking with you once and you telling me to experience a t3 .48ar and compare its spool to any t2. My friend Ricky just moved up from his 2871 .64ar to a Comp Turbo CT3 5556 .48ar and he said he hates it. I rode with him and I did notice that it seemed to make boost (12 psi) a little over a thousand rpm's later (about 3800) than his 2871. I dont drive the car on a regular basis like him to judge the difference but to quote him, "I cant tell a bit of difference in power, It spools slower and It feels like it doesnt have that instant torque surge like my 2871 did." Now I dont doubt you at all on it out flowing the t2 by any means, Compressor maps dont lie... but for a his little drift car/ play toy the 2871 sure made it a lot of fun to drive and drift. I really think it all depends on what exactly youre doing. If you want INSTANT spool for almost a "supercharger effect" just to make a spunky play toy/weekend drifter the t2 may be your gravy. If you want to smash those 400's numbers, t3 all the way

motoman399

^^ new you would be in here soon lol

3800... something is wrong there. i have a t4 turbonetics with a .58ar and it spools 7 psi by 2800ish... i dont know didly about compressor maps, so maybe im just clueless, but a turbo that small (even in t3) should spool much faster.

s13drifter88
!993 Del Sol (Daily)
1989 SOHC S13 Buzz Car

then that is strange cause his hot side is smaller than yours. your 7psi by 2800 would be say... 12psi by 3-3100ish im estimating. IDK, either way its not my car and not my problem lol.

motoman399

ya i agree. by low 3k i would see 12ish. it is pretty weird. maybe he has some huge restriction, or bought the turbo used and the blades are messed up?

i understand your logic lol

eazye2000

^ Damn, a Super 60 would spool faster than that... Seems odd, for sure.

On my recent interest in road racing, auto cross, and other forms of grip stuff; the people who run the KA, more often than not, they run a T2 turbo. Even as small as a 2560. I haven't verified it yet, but it looks like it's due to the max HP limit of 250whp.

I almost wish there was someone with a Disco turbo who wanted to trade for my 3076. I miss the spool.

I'm going to get some of the tunes, and what few dyno charts I have together so I can have someone host them and post them up. Try and help out with the T2 guys.

WDRacing

My T4 with a .81AR makes 9 psi by 3800 the flashes at about 4200. Your buddy must have an issue. What type of manifold is he using?

Also, for the record, I don't think there is anything wrong with the 2870 size turbo's. I just think they are to f*** expensive. If I wasn't going to run more then say, 12 psi and had 1200 bucks to burn I'd use a 2835r.

s13drifter88
!993 Del Sol (Daily)
1989 SOHC S13 Buzz Car

JGY log i believe. He got the turbo new in box too. His setup is just Nismo 750's, lightning maf, mishimoto fmic, 3"turbo back ex and a JWT ecu. His 2871 made full boost around 26-2700 which was 12psi on his HKS adjustable wastegate.

sunnys14
Car: S14

T2 3076R with 44mm WG turbine housing <3

kentuckyslider
Car: 02 IS300 manual/03 G35 sedan auto

sunnys14 wrote:T2 3076R with 44mm WG turbine housing <3
The best T2 turbo regardless of money.... 3071R or 3076R in this turbine housing with an external gate..... http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mv ... y_Code=GTH Now ur talking about $1600 with the gate and the turbin housing!!!no mani

The best for the money hands down.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MHI-TD06 ... 1094wt_939

Will make 450whp/400wtq at full tilt for $750.00

Now my prefereance is still a custom T3 mani and a Holset HX35 or HX40 with a BEP turbine housing for less than the price of a GT2871R. :yesnod If you can weld.

eazye2000

The 44mm wastegated housing defeats the purpose of putting the wastegate pre-turbo flange. Getting rid of the backpressure on a T2 is the key. That's why I could touch 500whp with my T2/3076R. I doubt that housing would help, if any. But what do I know...
Now a 44mm on the manifold would be dope. Might work better than my 38mm that I had on mine. But again... lol

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”