good objective tests of ammo?

Hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, biking, travel and recreation-related discussion forum
themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

I'll have seven types of 6.8 SPC ammo to pump through my new rifle in about a month. I intend to have fun but the reason for the many types is to find one or two that work well so I know what to stock up on in the future as I will be back in Japan and unable to test the ammo at that point.

I am thinking some five round groups at different distances and barrier testing with cinder blocks and lumber if I can find a location to do it. I'm pretty sure the range wouldn't be keen on me lugging some 2x10s and blocks down range.

Any thoughts on a good series of tests to narrow down my choice of ammo?

I see having one round for interior bump in the night work, ie limited penetration through walls, and one you call that cover barrier punching round.

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

a box full of drywall sheets...water jugs...you can actually make your own balllistic gelatin if you want...there should be a few recipes on the internets via a search.

snwbrdr435
Car: 85 VW Westfalia, CBR F4i, SV650s, 1988 Honda Hawk(race)

I so want to do some tests like this

Urabus GodofTraction
Car: 2002 WRX Wagon, 2004 SV650, 1988 Land Cruiser, 1994 XR600R

Testing for weapon compatibility and accuracy, yes.

Penetration? Eh. If you must, soak phonebooks overnight in water then shoot them. See how many pages you get through.

Other than that, good luck with a 6.8 with "limited penetration."

themadscientist

I should be fun showing my wife how to shoot the LWRC. The damned thing is as big as she is. The Sig has no stock, I'm not comfortable with her plinking with that. I picked that one for the primary home defense piece. It's super short and I have several boxes of 55 grain Hornady TAP FPD rounds that will only be used in the halls of my house. They are supposed to lose a ton of energy when they hit a regular sheetrock wall.

Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

Wow, maybe I'm old school, but when testing ammo, you'd choose your bullet, and it's weight, then try different powders with different amounts. With one bullet, you may try 20-30 powder combinations. You can also try different primers, but ehh.

So you'd pick a bullet for varmints, large game (deer), targets (max accuracy), and watever else you want, and figure out the loads for each one that works best.

You gotta find the right tool for the job. Is there any other way of doing it?

If you want more penetration, get a heavier, more inert bullet and load it with more/faster burning powder. Kinetic energy and maintaining shape are key. If the bullet just explodes, it does you no good. Check out possible bullets out there (iron tipped ?) and see which one is made to go through dense objects.

*edit* And for home defense, I'd much perfer a pistol to a rifle. I'm not good at tactical rifle shooting/techniques.

snwbrdr435

^ You haven't seen his "pistol" yet lol

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

snwbrdr435 wrote:^ You haven't seen his "pistol" yet lol
Please don't tell me it resembles anything Dirty Harry would carry. My dad has a .44 S&W with an 8" and that thing is a pain to shoot. It'd work for hunting though.

Now I'm guna have to start going through threads to find his "pistol"

snwbrdr435

Pretty sure he got it.

themadscientist

Yeah, this is my "pistol."

Short as hell, very manageable recoil and creates one hell of a fireball.

And his big bro.

Mr1der

sweet.

I think I'm gonna get an AR pistol within a year.

as well as a Concealed handgun permit.

bobotech

That sig pistol isn't that bad looking but holy hell, I hate AR pistols.

They look just so stupid with that donkey dong sticking out the rear of them.

If I ever bought a rifle pistol, it would be an AK pistol. They look SOOO much better than the AR pistols.

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

I guess I don't get the use of a rifle pistol. They're too big and akward to hold like a pistol and there's no stock to tuck it into your shoulder.

themadscientist

I could slap a stock on it if I SBRed it but I don't want the extra scrutiny from big gov. The Sig doesn't look goofy like an AR pistol because the recoil spring rides over the barrel on the piston rod. I agree, that plumbing pipe hanging out of the the back of an AR pistol like a blued steel hemmerroid is a no-go.

Mr1der

bobotech wrote:That sig pistol isn't that bad looking but holy hell, I hate AR pistols.

They look just so stupid with that donkey dong sticking out the rear of them.

If I ever bought a rifle pistol, it would be an AK pistol. They look SOOO much better than the AR pistols.
Fair enough.

I agree the buffer looks tarded...but the ar is one of the cheaper pistols

The perk of the rifle based pistol is the added firepower and in some states, it's not legal to carry a rifle ready to rock.

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

The AR pistol isn't going to retain much through a wall, the 6.8 is going to be plenty lethal after one wall, and easily up to 4 - 5 walls.

Grain weight of the bullet determines lethality mostly, as the light bullets lack inertia so they shed alot of speed punching through things. That reduces their shock cavity and fragmentation ability, so it will act like a high powered .22 LR, especially out of the pistol length.

To give you an idea of the retained lethality; a guy cleaned his AR15 and it discharged a round through his wall, into the adjacent unit of his apartment (through the siding / sheetrock), through a 1" thick piece of wood and into the back of the person's skull, whom was sleeping. It had enough energy to travel through the skull.

Just about anything that is going to be lethal is going to penetrate, just account for your shots and don't go apes***.

4cefed
Car: 92 240SX Coupe
03 SRT-4
Various Dodge POSs

Good rehash here:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=62775

Scroll all the way down the post for the legend. Looks like my 84gr magsafes in the glock 20 win.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”