Good Floor Jack for Rogue

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
RCH
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SV

Any suggestion for a good floor jack for 2016 Nissan Rogue?

Is 1.5 Ton good enough?

Thanks!

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Harbor freight has affordable ones. I personally used 1.5 ton because I didn’t know better.

Anyways, it might struggle. I usually like to use a wood block because it’s low to the ground.

I can still raise the front end and both tires at same time too. Just make sure you use jack stands.

KoiMaxx
Car: 2017 Rogue SL AWD

The curb weight of the Rogue is around 3600lbs distributed 57% front / 43% rear. So, for example, if you intend to lift the front end, that's around 2000lbs. You'd need typically 2-2.5x safety margin so that's least a 2 or 3ton to be safe. A 1.5ton would only be safe lifting a corner -- using it for lifting the front end will work, but I honestly think that's a bit risky.

The nice thing about the bigger ones is they usually have a higher lift range so you typically won't even need to use blocks anymore.

RCH

KoiMaxx wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:38 pm
The curb weight of the Rogue is around 3600lbs distributed 57% front / 43% rear. So, for example, if you intend to lift the front end, that's around 2000lbs. You'd need typically 2-2.5x safety margin so that's least a 2 or 3ton to be safe. A 1.5ton would only be safe lifting a corner -- using it for lifting the front end will work, but I honestly think that's a bit risky.

The nice thing about the bigger ones is they usually have a higher lift range so you typically won't even need to use blocks anymore.
Thanks for the nice reply. It made me think twice in getting a 1.5 ton floor jack.
I am considering the 3 ton Daytona from Harbor Freight. But the size will occupy a lot of space in my garage. It can lift 19+ inches. I think that's more than enough space to work under the vehicle.

I am currently searching the web for coupons. LOL.

It's good I found my 7 years old Harbor Freight jack stands because I am planning to return them for the recall.

localTradey
Car: 2015 Qashqai 2.0

I am not sure if this is common in the US. The Aus/NZ standard requires the legs to have support. i.e. it should not be sharp ends. This is to spread the pressure and doesn't sink if the ground is soft.
Of course, it is better to have the one with a support pin as a secondary measure.

another safety feature are these:
1. once the bar is raised, the lever should stay close to the body (see the picture), this is to prevent accidentally snagging it
2. to lower the bar, you need to momentarily raise the bar before the whole bar can be lowered by the lever. This means if the bar is supporting a car, the pressure from the weight would not allow the bar to go up, which means it cannot be lowered. But this also means you need 2 hands to lower the bar(one to pull up the bar slightly and the other hand to operate the lever). i.e.only one hand needed to raise the bar but two hands required to lower it.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/kincrome-18 ... lsrc=aw.ds

IN Australia, if a business does not use a compliant tool and result in serious injury, the business owner gets jail time (not just a fine). But homeowners can use what they want.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

^ You're referring to jackstands, and those rules apply to US-market stands as well.

A 1.5-ton jack is absolutely fine for lifting a Rogue. You're not lifting 2000 lbs by lifting one end of the car.

Karona
Car: '99 Infiniti QX4 (R.I.P)
'08 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

AZhitman wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:26 pm
^ You're referring to jackstands, and those rules apply to US-market stands as well.

A 1.5-ton jack is absolutely fine for lifting a Rogue. You're not lifting 2000 lbs by lifting one end of the car.
If the weight was evenly distributed, you'd pick up half the weight by lifting the front or back, no?
With most of the weight being in the front, it's fair to assume that it's at least 2000lb, I feel

RCH

I just got a new floor jack from Harbor freight. I decided to get the Daytona 3Ton Low Profile. I used it to changed my front brake yesterday. Together with my new Dewalt Impact wrench. So far so good. I will be doing oil change tomorrow but I know I will not jack the car by then. Next time, I will be using it for the tire rotation. I will rotate my tire on my second oil change (I just used 2200 Miles from February to August, because of COVID-19). Now I am in a looking for some good and sturdy Rubber Pad for floor jack as well as the jack stand (rubber pads for the pinch weld of the Rogue).

Perf-Em
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue SV, 118k miles

Years ago as I was installing a large vertical air compressor in my garage, I needed some good isolation mounts for the feet. Ever driven down the highway and seen fragments of a semi's tire scattered along the shoulder? Those typically have a lot of tread and are reinforced with steel cables! I pulled over on my way home from work and picked up a piece about 2-3 feet long. I cut 6 pads out of it and installed them under the compressor's feet, tread sides together, leaving the steel belted sides to rest on the floor and support the feet. A dozen years later, no deterioration and they still absorbed the vibrations like I wanted them to.
If they can work in that application, they won't even notice your jack stands or pinch weld! Price is right, too. Cutting through the steel belts will take a bit of doing if you try it with a hacksaw, but a nice thin cutting disc on your angle grinder will slip through them with ease. (Just keep a fire extinguisher handy when you do it. Rubber is flammable!)

Return to “Rogue Forum”