good deal for 350?

V8 240sx? Sure! If either the chassis OR the engine is non-Nissan (i.e. SR20 in an RX-7 or LS1 in a 240sx), we've done it.
BOOM_STICK
Car: **1987 Toyota MR-2**

i went to check out a re-manufactured 350 for a 72 chevelle. it has 0 (yes zero) miles on it and has never been started. the oil pan has been chopped to fit 7 quarts (ill probably just chop it up to make it fit in the 240). it's a long block with intake and water pump. i pulled the valve covers off and not a spot of rust. he's asking $1000, i think thats pretty good.

the problem: he said he bought the motor in '03, and it has sat in his garage since then. can that cause any problems in the cylinder or with the pistons and rings? like rust? he had all the openings covered up and taped off, so i would think there wouldnt be a problem.

is this a good deal? could there be any internal problems from sitting so long?

thanks

OutToWinPAHC
Car: 2015 Silverado, R33 GTST, R32 GTR, RB20 E46 RHD, 2015 Harley Vrod Muscle, 1990 Nissan Patrol

I cant see a reason for a problem. Al long as it was put together with assembaly lube its probably still greasy inside. But none the less I have a shop full of engines some are 40 years old and sould probably start and run. What generation engine? Gen 1 or 2? Find out if its a 2 or a 4 bolt main too, and what kind of heads are on that? Gen 1 350's come is many flavors.

BOOM_STICK

its a four bolt main. i cant remember what heads he said were on it, nothing special tho. how would i find out what gen. it is?

he also said that it had a "Z28" cam in it. any performance there?

pretty sure this is where he bought it fromhttp://www.rebuiltautoengines.com/

OutToWinPAHC
Car: 2015 Silverado, R33 GTST, R32 GTR, RB20 E46 RHD, 2015 Harley Vrod Muscle, 1990 Nissan Patrol

I dont know the specs on the cam. Its sounds just like a standard gen 1 SBC. Its probably only good for 200 horse to be honest. You might want to get something a little better if you want a Gen 1 swap. I would suggest a 4 bolt main, stock crank, dish pistons, high flow oil pump, 202/198's cast iron heads, long water pump somewhere arround a .500 to .525 lift cam and a 750CFM carb for a budget power build. Hmm I dont know to be honest just because its a 350 doesn't mean it has power. It really depends on the heads, and cam in there paired with the intake, and fuel system. Hom much horse would you like to have? Do you want FI or a carb? I would like to know that before I make a yes or no suggestion.

BOOM_STICK

im gonna go with a carb. it has a torker edelbrock intake manifold. it is a 4 bolt main. everything else is all stock as far as i know. im not looking to make a certain hp number, i just want something different that makes resonable hp. its just gonna be a dd and see the track occasionally on the weekends.

my budget is only gonna be about $3000. so right now i just wanna get a motor and get it in the car and running. performance will come later.

what i also need help with-1) what size carb to get: needs to have a good balance of performance and economy.2) transmission: i would like to get a 4 or 5 speed manual, but i hear of lots of people using TH 350/400's.

thanks for the help. i dont know to much about the good ol' american muscle.

Return to “Hybrids”