Going from synthetic to mineral and then back to synthetic engine oil.

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
Andy_V35Sky_350GT
Car: 2003 Nissan Skyline 350GT

I had my car serviced a few days ago and I stupidily didn't specifiy what sort of oil I wanted them to use. Being that I take my car to this place all the time, and they are a high performance shop, I thought they would just use the best oil for my car (they previously always used either Mobil 1 or Castrol EDGE full syn). This time they use Castrol GTX3, which is a mineral based non sythetic. I took my car for the first 'proper' drive today since having it serviced and noticed that the car didn't rev as hard, was slow and unresponsive. Feels like I've lost about 10-20% of power over the previous EDGE oil, even though it was over 6000 kms old. It also seems to change gears earlier than previously before when in auto, and definately doesnt rev as quickly as before.

So, I'm not very happy and am going to get them to change the oil over, even if I have to pay for it. Question is, are the problems with going from a syn oil (which I had been using for about 20 000 kms and I'm assuming the previous owner was to) to a mineral for a bit and then back to a syn? Would going from a syn to mineral effect engine performance/create problems?

Jacko3

I doubt you will have major issues if you have not driven it for too long with the regular mineral oil. Just go back and get it changed quickly to synthetic. Don't try to over revv the engine during this period. I think you will be fine, if you change back to synthethic as quickly as possible. Just my 2 cents. Others may see it differently.

tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

Is there an issue of going from regular to synthetic ever?

BrandAidDesignG35
Car: G35

I contacted Infiniti to find out if switching would void warranty, and they said it's fine to switch, but the mechanic said that's BS, I would tend to agree, especially after try Mobil 1 in my car,.... What a difference...

My advice... take it in, say WTF is this about?!? Change it free or I'll take my business elsewhere...

Get that crap out of there ASAP, good luck M8!

Grant

tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

I've been running a synthetic blend...

You've been liking the full synthetic then?

Tampa G35 Sedan 6MT
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT Black w/ Premium & Areo Pkg
1989 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 Lifted and Old School!

I use Full Mobil 1 SYN Extended Preformance. I love it! It gives the car so much more power over the regular oil!

No you can't just go back to regular oil after using syn. The regular oil is good for the first 15k miles to ensure that the motor gets broken in and the piston rings seal properly. After that the syn does a better job at keeping the motor lubed. The Syn does something to the piston rings that doesn't allow them to seal if you go back to regular motor oil!

regular to syn

Regular to syn back to regular :

DJ

Andy_V35Sky_350GT
Car: 2003 Nissan Skyline 350GT

Thanks for the info guys, its definately getting changed, i just don't want it in the car.

SVTCOBRA
Car: 2018 Q60 AWD 2023 F150 4x4 5.0 FX4

Andy_V35Sky_350GT wrote:Thanks for the info guys, its definately getting changed, i just don't want it in the car.
Good!! I would get it out also! Your engine will thank you!!

BrandAidDesignG35
Car: G35

tollboothwilley wrote:I've been running a synthetic blend...

You've been liking the full synthetic then?
Mobil 1 5w30... nice power gains, and it really runs a lot smoother as well

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”