Go Outside and Look Up!

For discussions pertaining to science and engineering and science-related topics.
nissangirl74
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

http://news.discovery.com/space/venus-j ... pgn=emnws1

The two brightest planets in the sky, Venus and Jupiter, will likely draw attention to the western sky as darkness falls this week.

Planetariums, observatories and perhaps even weather forecast offices might get a number of inquiries about what those "two bright lights in the sky" are.

On Monday evening (March 12) they'll appear to line up side-by-side, and on Tuesday evening (March 13), they will be separated by just 3 degrees (about the width of two fingers held out at arm's length), with Venus standing just above and to Jupiter's right.

S133P3R
Car: 1989 S13 240sx

Bah! California and its cloudy outside! Tomorrow I'll check again.

nissangirl74
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

I wish I had a camera that took good nighttime pics

alms24sebring
Car: '97 Nissan 240sx. First Nissan. First love. Sold.
'04 Nissan Sentra SER SpecV

I saw this in Gen chat. Its raining tho :(

Encryptshun
Car: 2005 Xterra

I've been fortunate enough to have tremendous views of this event for the past 3 nights. Glorious!

carloslebaron
Car: 95 Nissan pickup XE

The view is fantastic. I used a telescope and I also saw three stars lining up behind Jupiter. With naked eye they should be on the left side up Jupiter, but with the telescope they appear going to the right side. And there is a four star almost in the same line after the first three stars, but it appears to be like going down when following their line position.

Where they stars or planets?

I missed the view yesterday because I just saw your message today... :facepalm:

alms24sebring

I saw this last night, they were still close enough together. I dont have a good telescope but I have some good strong biniculars

S133P3R

carloslebaron wrote:And there is a four star almost in the same line after the first three stars, but it appears to be like going down when following their line position.
Arent these directions to neverneverland? i dont have them memorized, i just follow peter.

carloslebaron

S133P3R wrote: Arent these directions to neverneverland? i dont have them memorized, i just follow peter.
I swear that I tried hard to laugh about your joke...I guess that the joke you have made fills up the required sarcasm to make fun, but reveals the work of an amateur instead.

Perhaps if you get into college first and have enough credits to get into a circus later and learn how to be a clown will help you a lot in the future...because when your words refer to "nevereverland"... what is that? ...neither children watch Peter Pan anymore unless you live inside Disney world...

I can give the credit that your intention of making jokes has an "initiative" , and that is a good start...please don't spare and keep learning the art of being sarcastic...

Cheers.

S133P3R

carloslebaron wrote:
S133P3R wrote: Arent these directions to neverneverland?
Perhaps if you get into college first and have enough credits to get into a circus later and learn how to be a clown will help you a lot in the future...because when your words refer to "nevereverland"... what is that? ...neither children watch Peter Pan anymore unless you live inside Disney wIorld...

I can give the credit that your intention of making jokes has an "initiative" , and that is a good start...please don't spare and keep learning the art of being sarcastic...

Cheers.
LOLWUT? Great college level come back. Can you see Uranus from where your heads at?

alms24sebring

Please dont blow this thread up either (^pssst, that last line was pretty funny).

Lets keep it simple here guys. Still cloudy for me... :(

carloslebaron

S133P3R, I own a telescope but know nothing about celestial bodies...if I look up or look at them in a book, I think that the only one I might recognize is the star of David... :facepalm:

S133P3R

these planets look so great thru a telescope. it really makes you feel tiny knowing your magnifying something 100X and its so far far far away. fingers crossed for 1 more clear night before "the storm of thea year" hits southern cali.... hahah, well see how much rain we get!

carloslebaron

The only view I would like to have and film is the changing of colors of planet Venus. One night coming home I noticed it changing colors from yellow to red, green, blue...it was fantastic. I tried to use my telescope but clouds took the view away. That night on TV it was told that such a view was caused by the pollution in the earth's atmosphere.

Still, the view was incredibly fantastic.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

I can never find sh1t with my scope....

alms24sebring

Calibrate your finder's scope. Mine is sort of cheap but what I do is just point it in the general area and slowly move it around until I spot what I am looking for lol. Planets dont really focus so I usually just look at the moon or a star cluster.

skydragoness
Car: 03' 350z Touring 6spd
92' 240sx 60k survivor :)

I've been looking through Craigslist for a telescope to hook up to my DSLR.
Also, this is the first time I've posted in this sub forum. This is an awesome idea Bex!! :D

carloslebaron

alms24sebring wrote:Calibrate your finder's scope. Mine is sort of cheap but what I do is just point it in the general area and slowly move it around until I spot what I am looking for lol. Planets dont really focus so I usually just look at the moon or a star cluster.
You are right, when I bought mine years ago I tried to watch everything in the sky and was very disappointed. I moved the telescope fast from one side to another and got frustrated because I found nothing like the view promised by the cover box. Later, when I finally decided to "read the instructions", I found out that I needed new and more powerful lenses than the original one coming with the device, so I can watch better the details of the Moon and planets.

Until today I went no further that the craters of the Moon because they are an easy target. I live in the city so I can't see much anyway, so I used my telescope to take pictures of far away objects in hills or of blocks away bird nests, etc.

This hobby of using a telescope requires of lots of patience, something that doesn't go with my personality, so I have used my telescope in rare occasions, like the recent view of Venus and Jupiter close in the sky.

Cheers.

alms24sebring

^^ Dam I didnt think about craigslist. One of my teachers made a homemade telescope where you could see Jupiter and a few red rings and the 4 major moons. It was awesome and almost threw up looking at it lol

^ I live sort of just outside the city too but there are those lucky nights where its really dark outside and most people have turned off their lights (like a Sunday night), and a clear non humid night. Try traveling out like 15 mins. There are a few places here aeay from lights where the night sky really blows up.

snwbrdr435
Car: 85 VW Westfalia, CBR F4i, SV650s, 1988 Honda Hawk(race)

carloslebaron wrote:The view is fantastic. I used a telescope and I also saw three stars lining up behind Jupiter. With naked eye they should be on the left side up Jupiter, but with the telescope they appear going to the right side. And there is a four star almost in the same line after the first three stars, but it appears to be like going down when following their line position.

Where they stars or planets?

I missed the view yesterday because I just saw your message today... :facepalm:

Neither they were jupiters moons. Well the ones you can see.

alms24sebring

Ooohh hahaha I didnt know what he was saying. You should have seen up to 4 of them, that being incase one or more are in front or behind the Jupiter

Return to “Science!”