Glove Box Dampener Cord Broke

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
gavnator
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35X Obsidian Black, Bourbon Interior, Journey, Navigation
2013 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring

I replaced the cabin filter in my 06' M35x yesterday. I was reattaching the dampener cord which attaches to the right side of the glove box and the cord broke. The point of the dampener cord is to slow the opening of the glove box when you push the button to open it. I assume the cord was attached to some type of recoiling mechanism. Does anybody know what involved with replacing dampener cord. The glove box opens and operates fine. Its just that I will have to hold the glove box when I push the button to open it as the dampener cord is now not operating to slow the opening of glove box. Anyone dealt with this issue? :confused: :confused:

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

It's pretty hard to break that cord, you must've really put a number on it. That being said, I don't think I've ever seen one of those for sale so you may have to scour eBay and/or cross reference the part number from one of the many OEM Infiniti parts stores online.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

^ This.

You can look up the assembly in the FSM (infinitiservicemanual.com), but I'd just go hit a wrecking yard and get one out of a comparable car.

EdBwoy

Add me to the list of those who've not actually heard of anyone breaking that cord. The clip maybe, but the cord is pretty tough - were you pulling at it with a tool like pliers?

Anyway, the replacement isn't too hard. You have to remove the glovebox again, then remove the entire panel the glovebox attaches to. The damper cartridge is attached to the back side of that panel. You can replace the cartridge with a little finesse, or just replace the whole panel.

I have a spare if you want it.

gavnator

Guys thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I've replaced the cabin filter every year since I bought the M off lease in '09. I've always been careful not to put a lot of tension on that cord when removing or attaching it for fear of something happening to the cord. The cord looks frayed where it broke. Anyway, not knowing the difficulty, I'm not sure I have the skills to pull the whole panel. Having said that, It looks like there are just 2 phillips head screws attaching the cartridge to the back of the panel. Correct? Edbwoy what's the cost for the spare cartridge you have and do have any idea what Infiniti labor costs would be for replacing it. Thanks.

EdBwoy

If you'd be paying for labor, I think it would be faster to just replace the panel as a whole. The panel has to come out to access the damper anyway.
So 15 minutes tops. The dealership might have a minimum charge for an hour of labor or might charge half an hour. Call around

Since you have the capability & confidence to remove the glovebox (sounds terrifying at times, you'd think you broke something), then I don't see how the panel would be a challenge. It only requires removing a few screws & pulling it out.

You can have the part(s) for free, just cover the shipping & handling costs

gavnator

EdBwoy thanks for your support. I agree. If I can remove the glove box I can pull the panel. Thanks for the parts offer. If it works for you, Email me a message to [email protected] regarding shipping costs and I will mail you a check or how ever you want to do. Thanks.

EdBwoy

The gear is enroute to Georgia. Have fun with the process Gav.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”