Global warming, results and best plans for survival

For discussions pertaining to science and engineering and science-related topics.
themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Alright, first, let's not turn this into a politically-polluted pissing match. It's a thought exercise, not a debate. In this scenario all the things that have been suggested by global warming proponents come to pass. To my thinking the following are some of the things that will happen.

Sea ice and glaciers melt almost completely.

1. Unreflected solar rays heat the planet yet more. If its cold here, soon it's not. If it's temperate here, soon it's hot. If it's hot here, soon it's potentially life threatening. Human population has built up where it has because of several factors, the average temperature being one. Migration to the shifting temperate zone could be expected which will lead to later to be discussed factors. Additionally, the hotter air will play a part in changes in weather.

2. Sea levels rise significantly
The height of the rise will determine to what degree, but all coastal areas around the world and many inland areas that actually reside very close to or below sea level, but are separated by higher elevations of land will be lost. A significant amount of human population centers are located in these areas. Whatever could not be moved from these areas will be lost and need to be replaced. The residents of these areas will be displaced, either chronically in a steady organized movement over a few years or acutely in a disorganized evacuation during a serious event ala hurricane Katrina. Those people will have to go somewhere.

3. Sea salinity and temperature will be changed. This influx of large volumes of fresh water will change the very makeup of the water that sea life need to live and the soaking up of solar heat will raise the median temperature. This will reduce the amount of food that can be gleaned from a dying ocean which will definitely impact humans in the form of decreasing food supplies and higher prices for what is still available. Additionally, this change in salinity and temperature will influence ocean currents which plays into the next issue.

4. Weather becomes erratic. Of course you have the leading antagonists of hurricanes, blizzards, and tornadoes, but I think the chronic effects of serious changes to a locale's average weather is more important. Weather is arguably one of the most persuasive factor after economics for the location of human settlement. Certainly, there are people living in places with terrible weather, but there are the exception, not the rule. If precipitation changes to a great degree some areas can become increasingly more difficult to live in. We can, again, expect population movement. We can also expect local food production to change. Crops and wildlife don't like large veers from weather norms and there will be a constriction of food supplies in an affected area. Since we call it "global" warming, that means everywhere.

5. Now we have disease. Changing realities of average temperature, humidity and precipitation can be expected to allow disease that was previously unheard of in an area to take root. Malaria in Kansas? Maybe. Couple this with large groups of people on the move as a result of other factors of this phenomenon and you have the beginnings of waves of pandemic disease. This factor, bred through exodus will accelerate more as people who have thus far been able to avoid serious impact on their lives by other factors are now displaced by the fear of spreading disease. Inland cities, safe from rising water and able to offset food supply problems become increasingly dangerous due to disease spreading amongst people crammed together in a small space.

6. Civil unrest. Now the real panic starts. People have been displaced by all these factors. They are desperate, they are hungry, they are sick, they radiate out into the countryside and the ripples are felt at every corner of the world and somewhere, someone decides it's time to stop being nice and take what they want by force. While we live in a country where guns are readily available, I don't think that really has a bearing on the level of violence. Desperate people do desperate things and we have seen enough examples to suggest if they don't have a gun, they will use a knife, if they have no knife they will pick up a brick. The tools are immaterial here, the systemic breakdown of our modern society is. This is a really complex subject and could easily occupy a voluminous discussion of what this single factor would look like. Let's just paint it with a broad brush and say society is a lot more dangerous than it used to be.

Alright. All that was leading to this. Here you sit, wherever you are, August 2012 and you have decided that this scenario is going to play out. You don't know exactly how it will unfold or how quickly, but you are confident all these things are coming at whatever speed and style they choose and you want to position yourself for this future.

What do you do?

What is the likelihood friends and family will share your feelings and be willing participants in the evolution of your lifestyle?

What changes will you make immediately to establish the foundation for your long term plans?

What skills, tools or other things do you need to acquire to better prepare you?

If you have decided you must leave your current location, what is the influencing factor and where would you go?

Regardless of if you stay where you are or leave, how will you prepare your living spaces?

How would you evolve as conditions deteriorate? Do you take measured steps or take a dramatic move at a certain point? If the latter, what would trigger it and why?

Do you have more faith in pulling together as a community than going it alone? if so, why and what size of group do you think is best?

If you have more confidence as an individual, why?

Discuss

bigbadberry3

Just some FYI, sea levels will rise because of thermal expansion, not really due to the melting of land covering ice.

Edit:

My lunar bachelor pad will be in full swing suckers!

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

I knew you were'nt building a 240 in the barn!

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

One big problem will be that much of our agriculture (globally) exists in flat lands. These tend to be at lower altitudes. One example of this is the central valley of California. If sea levels do rise, this area will be flooded with sea water. I can imagine many places of the world would be facing a similar problem. So even if we could move everyone away from the coast, we would lose a large chunk of capability to feed everyone. I'd suspect we would expect to see internal conflicts within various nations in the struggle for food as well as international conflicts. Conflicts over oil would seem trivial compared to those over food.

carloslebaron
Car: 95 Nissan pickup XE

What do you do?

To adapt.

What is the likelihood friends and family will share your feelings and be willing participants in the evolution of your lifestyle?

No one will care for you, in such scenario of yours, will be any family member first, later only closest family members, and finally you are on your own... so forget about "lifestyle" unless you mean "the good, the bad and the ugly" life style.

What changes will you make immediately to establish the foundation for your long term plans?

Need more amunition and probably another gun...hey! I have to defend myself..won't you?

What skills, tools or other things do you need to acquire to better prepare you?

Night vision googles, matches, good knife capable to open hard skin of animals, water filters, a map...

If you have decided you must leave your current location, what is the influencing factor and where would you go?

Where food grows.

Regardless of if you stay where you are or leave, how will you prepare your living spaces?

A good dog will keep the alarm, in your scenario sattellte guided house alarm won't help due to the chaotic situation, probably countries will invade other countries... the dark era is the best example where Europe suffered attacks from all sides, the Saracenes, the Moors, the Vikings, the Bulgars, the Magyar, even in Italy rival popes killed one to another and their entire families for power...a monk Glaber wrote that incest, adultery etc increased..and even cannibalism became part of the problem,,, There must be a weird relationship between climate change and humans, because due to climate change was also the rise of the invasion to Europe by Muslims...

Today we live in a different era, but when starvation hits your place...

How would you evolve as conditions deteriorate? Do you take measured steps or take a dramatic move at a certain point? If the latter, what would trigger it and why?

I ususally don't answer a question with another question, but, who the heck told you that we evolve?

Do you have more faith in pulling together as a community than going it alone? if so, why and what size of group do you think is best?

You must be kidding. Just give another look to what happened in New Orleans days after Katrina and help didn't arrive on time... dudes started to attack people in rich houses to steal food, the owners were even killed if not injuried... in the stadium, women were raped, people became aggressive, it was a chaos... I guess one or two more weeks and most of the people there should split looking for a better place outside that stadium. If communities are built, they must have good arms to defend themselves, because when there is no food or water, survival makes people to do wild things...

If you have more confidence as an individual, why?

You can say community or individual today, but such is not a choice until the scenario you are portraying happens. You yourself will never know what you will become when no food is available...you can let it go and be starving until death...or you will fight for survival... who knows if you might need someones around you or if you better do it alone... the moment when it happens will tell you.

s0m3th1ngAZ
Car: 96' Miata
2014 Focus ST

I'm throwing my lot in with these floating cities...once they work out all the kinks of course.

stebo0728
Car: 1993 300ZX, White, T-Top

I like to imagine our far out ancestors, living on Europa, going to church where they learn that God created Europa in 6 days, that Jupiter revolves around Europa, and that there's no way life could have ever lived on that desolate rock 3rd from the sun.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Wow what a great thread+intro.
It deserves a lot more discussion IMO.

1) One of the marks of a climate challenges Planet like that are climate refugees, for example nearly 90% of the population of Bangladesh will be in the water even with moderate melting/warming.
They will try to flee somewhere.
yet India has ALREADY built a guarded wall for just this eventuality over the past few years.
And they shoot , sometimes, w/o warning and sometimes to kill.
When Billions of people will flee their now inundated or desertified lands ( yes Billions) every country that hopes to maintain a decent land/resources to people ratio will have adopt similar policies or perish.

2) As food production is under pressure, housing and infrastructure get damaged for trillions of dollars, living standards will plummet for nearly everyone, but some will still be better off than others. (When I leave the Army, or get RIFed, I hope to retrain as a petroleum engineer which will assure me good money flow no matter what). Some jobs will always be well paid even by today's standards; Petroleum Engineering, Nuclear Engineering, Chemical Engineering and to a lesser extent Chemistry, and other STEM fields.

3) the social net will disappear. When we are old, the notion of even moderately comfortable pensions, or a livable social security will be considered an unrealistic and quaint expectation.

4) Politically when there is stress on a nation it usually turns to totalitarianism. I dont know if we will be able to avoid it in this country as some of the first turns for that have already been made in recent years. I belive in 100 yrs most countrys might be eithe ra Haiti, with no resources and desolation where people (literally!) eat dirt cookies or North Koreas where an evil elite rules with a cruel iron fist but manages to maintain a modicum of a functioning industrial society.

5) Locations, that will be best under global warming: the US north, Canada, Russia, Some parts of northern Europe maybe (BUT if the Gulf Stream collapses which it now looks like it's already slowly starting based on salinity measurements, it might get very cold there, ironic isnt it?)

The primary question posed in the thread is how does this affect our personal long range plans.

Here is my plan:

1) Convert to an Engineering degree after leaving (or being RIFed form) the Army.
2) Collect precious metals as their value seems constant . For example the same amount of silver or gold that bought a bushel of wheat in 1 AD , bought a bushel of wheat in 1000 AD bought one in 1500 AD and buys one now, plus/minus 10/20%)
3) Be well armed and be practiced in the use of those firearms you own (Just this week I shot my AR's 4 times, alternating between Irons, Aimpoint, Eotech, doing updrills reloads drills etc )
4) Stay in shape. I had some bad workout injuries 3 years ago n ot fully recovered yet . Back then I worked out 12 times a week (running, LOTS of weights, kick boxing, swimming). Too much for a 40 something it turns out. :blush: But I sure looked good while limping into the Doctors office :D. but I Learned my lesson and keep it at 6 careful workouts a week now.
5) Be resilient. I keep my teeth in perfect health, stash vitamin tablets and just had eye surgery done so I am independent of contact lenses now. Only one of my eyes had perfect results. Luckily its my shooting eye.
6) If we play our cards right, we might even be able to enjoy fine cars when many others are having trouble just existing. I am sure in 2040 they will make a Nissan Z and I intend to own it. :)

Of course much of the above only holds if a modicum of society still exists. but I think in my lifetime the lights will (mostly) still stay on.

In a TEOTWAWKI scenario, the answer would be to see if my resources (truck full of guns, ammo, food, silver) and skills buy my entrance/ membership into a resilient rural community. That's nothing to count on though..

The future will be exciting. I just wish I was a little younger so I could experience the upcoming interesting times more.

Recommended book reading: "Lucifers Hammer"

jbracy7
Car: 94 GTS TYPE-M in a dozen pieces

Go to my family's ranch in texas build giant bunker, save big breasted ladies,live off breast milk and goat meat. In a real shtf. family first i train my family the basics shelter,food,weapons training,and most important hiding in plain site my daughter is to good at a gily and sniping with paint balls

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

bigbadberry3 wrote:Just some FYI, sea levels will rise because of thermal expansion, not really due to the melting of land covering ice.

Edit:

My lunar bachelor pad will be in full swing suckers!
Antarctica Not Melting: Ice Levels At Record High
Climate change alarmists struggle to understand how ice can increase with global warming.
http://mrc.org/articles/antarctica-not- ... ecord-high

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

The secret environmental cost of US ethanol policy
AP study says making corn-based ethanol badly hurting the environment
Read more at http://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/AP-study ... T8xUhvC.99
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... 2-09-35-22

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Scientists and environmentalists trying hard to explain away 17-year global warming hiatus.
http://o.dailycaller.com/all/2013-12-20 ... ks-in-2013

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Global warming scientists forced to admit defeat... because of too much ice:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... cuers.html

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Humans are NOT to blame for global warming, says Greenpeace co-founder, as he insists there is 'no scientific proof' climate change is man-made
  • Patrick Moore has poured cold water on manmade global warming theories
  • The Canadian said that a hotter earth would actually be better for humans
  • He said that there's 'no actual proof' of manmade global warming
  • Moore was a member of campaign group Greenpeace for 15 years
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z2udn6JlBl

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

WEATHER CHANNEL Co-Founder: 'Climate change' proved to be 'nothing but a lie'...
The debate about climate change is finished - because it has been categorically proved NOT to exist, one of the world's leading meteorologists has claimed.
"I have studied climate change seriously for years. It has become a political and environment agenda item, but the science is not valid"
John Coleman, co-founder of the Weather Channel

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/52 ... el-founder

Return to “Science!”