Getting Error Code 43

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
cbh148
Car: 2000 Civic Si, 1993 240sx Hatch CA18

This should be pretty straightforward, just figured I'd run it by you guys.

My CA18DET has been pretty good, and feels like it's got good power in boost, but the last thing I did to it was switch out my KA-DE tps for a CA18 tps since the KA unit doesn't have an idle switch plug, and I've been slowly trying to figure out why my CA refuses to idle like stock (tried setting the idle according to the FSM and it just wants to die anytime I'm off throttle).

Since the TPS swap, I've been getting code 43, which I know is TPS related. I clear it off every time I see it, just to make sure that it's consistently coming back. I'm not too good with a multimeter, but from what I could gather, my CA18 tps reads pretty inconsistent. It's like I'd dial in the resistance at closed-throttle, then move the throttle and return it to closed, then I'd get a vastly different reading.

Also, since swapping to CA18 tps, the car will sometimes backfire on decel if I tap the gas, and it's extremely loud since I've been running open downpipe (too low to fit the Apexi catback; waiting to get a custom one made that tucks up tight).

Should I just bite the bullet and get a brand new KA24E TPS? And while I'm at it, a brand new air regulator cold-start-idle valve for an SR20DE Sentra?

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

Yes and yes.

s13 Jrock
Car: 90 s13 Hatch
CA18Det

pretty old thread, but just a shot in the dark, did you end up purchasing a new tps and air regulator and did they resolve our issues? I'm kind of in the same boat where i got the motor to idle but its sputtering during and doesn't sound smooth, and some what hiccups while building rpms.

sjbsuperman1425
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx
CA18DET

KA24E TPS interchanges with the CA TPS. For your other issue, does it only do it when cold and is it fine after warm up? I would also start with checking ignition timing.

s13 Jrock
CA18Det

nope. engine was at operating temperature and timing is at 15*. just idle isn't as good as it should be

sjbsuperman1425
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx
CA18DET

what is your idle at?

s13 Jrock
CA18Det

idles between 590, 650, and 970. usually fluctuates around there. also noticed that one of the pins thats going into my tps has a little exposed wire, not sure if that would cause the issue or not since was getting for the most part the right numbers while checking continuity. also read some where that any time you adjust the tps, it needs to be unplugged for 20-30 seconds to recalibrate. not sure if thats correct or not. and another question, can someone clarify how to correctly check the voltage? am i checking it from the connector coming from the tps itself or from the harness connector? i looked at the FSM and I'm thinking its saying from the tps connector but I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly or what, and i keep reading diff answers from other forums. pretty confused. slight background on the motor. ran fine, bent a valve, tore it apart for stock rebuild with arp rod hard ware and bearings. put back together. brand new harness everything was in working order before tear down and stored properly and check out still in good order now. just can't figure out this slight idle/ bog issue. timing is good, fuel pressure set accordingly. pretty frustrating! :gotme haha i just Wanna DRIVE!!

PS. threws code 55 when cars off, and throws 43 while cars on.

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”