Getting a window tint on a Rogue S model

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Direwolf
Car: Nissan Rogue

Hey all..

So Im planning on getting the windows tinted on my Rogue S after vacation in August. I just checked NJ laws and it appears we can get any level tint on the back and rear windows, but none at all on the front windows.

I was thinking about Huper Optik but the nearest dealer is in NY (we are in South Jersey). Any suggestions on Philadelphia/S. Jersey area? What level tint comes with the factory tinted Rogues? Thanks for the input!

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

I am thinking about getting the front windows tinted.

Did anyone already do it?What is the tint percentage of the rear windows to get them matched? 20, 35 or 50%?

Is it difficult to do it yourself? What needs to be removed to do it?

philipa_240sx

Pescakl1 wrote:I am thinking about getting the front windows tinted.

Did anyone already do it?What is the tint percentage of the rear windows to get them matched? 20, 35 or 50%?

Is it difficult to do it yourself? What needs to be removed to do it?
My two front windows were tinted by the dealer. Cost was $160 CDN for both windows. A bit high IMHO... there should be better deals out there. I do not know the tint level, but it matches fairly well.

IMHO, I would not tint the windows yourself. It's tricky to get the tint on the window without any air bubbles and cut it perfectly so you don't see the edges. I have first hand experience and I can pretty much guarantee you will junk the tint film the first 2 or 3 times you do it. In the end the material you waste will more than pay for a pro install. Just get a reputable shop to do it and guarantee thier work.

FYI: I had my Altima tinted (4 windows + tricky curved rear window) for about $350. The tint never peeled or bubbled and looked like factory.

MadMontie1
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD in Gotham Gray

That's seems high to me too. I had the front two windows on my SL model for $95 USD.

The rear windows on the SL are factory tinted at around 20%. I tinted my front at 35% which you don't really notice is different unless you are looking right at it on the side.

AND, 20% on your front windows is asking to get pulled over. 35% on the front is perfect.

And to anyone thinking of tinting windows yourself....don't. You'll look like ghetto trash after a few months.

rjuarezjr915
Car: ROGUE

I got 20 % to match the rest of the car and it looks great. I paid $40.00 for the front windows with a lifetime warrenty and commercial grade tint.

philipa_240sx

The $160 CDN was from the dealer. Quite honestly it was a convenience issue. I knew I was overpaying, but I could not take even more time off work to get it done.

redroguegal

I am getting quotes of 80-$100 for 20% tint. My car is soooo hot. The dash could fry an egg. It heats up while I am driving even with the air on on sunny days. I hope the front window tinting helps. It stays in my garage and I use a window shield when I park. The part over the speedometer that is flat black just absorbs heat and radiates it back at me. I realize it is 95 degrees but geez!

fleur

what is with the heat? Not only does it throw off so much heat when the a/c is on, a person can't really stand near it...after it's parked for a while, it seems superhot to the touch and inside wow!

I don't remember my pathfinder ever being so hot...my Rogue is black but I can't imagine that's what's making it heat up! I would like the front windows tinted for privacy but I have to check NY laws, back ones came tinted (SLAWD).

jmbones

Drive 1.5hrs up the turnpike to Lehighton. There's a place called Mobile Edge. They do excellent tinting. http://www.mobileedgeonline.com

Call before you go, as they require appointments.
Direwolf wrote:Hey all..

So Im planning on getting the windows tinted on my Rogue S after vacation in August. I just checked NJ laws and it appears we can get any level tint on the back and rear windows, but none at all on the front windows.

I was thinking about Huper Optik but the nearest dealer is in NY (we are in South Jersey). Any suggestions on Philadelphia/S. Jersey area? What level tint comes with the factory tinted Rogues? Thanks for the input!

philipa_240sx

fleur wrote:I don't remember my pathfinder ever being so hot...my Rogue is black but I can't imagine that's what's making it heat up!
My 240SX had an all black interior. Heated up like an oven... and the car didn't have A/C!

Tint the side windows and use a sunshade when parked. It helps alot.

AznJohn22
Car: 08 Nissan Rogue

yea man! my car gets super hot! i put a shield for the front windows but only helps soo much. Anyone got their window tinted in the Brooklyn area? If so, how much? Thanks!

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

I got mine tinted yesterday, paid CAD$100 (+tx) for the front windows (another one quotes me $225 tx incld for the same work ).

I chose the 35% on the advice of the dealer as tinting the front windows are illegal in Quebec (in fact, you can only have 88% which is like having nothing).I was debating between 20% and 35%, he was talking about 50% or 35%, so we chose 35%.He is a nice guy, he told me right away:"You know it is illegal".He told me 35% is more discrete, you can still see a small difference with the rear ones so I should have less trouble with the police.

As I don't like bug deflector but am a little worry about paint quality on nissan's cars, I made him put a clear protection film on the hood (18" large) and the front of the fender. Cost: CAD$200 (+tx), Ouch!!.In fact it is an external contractor who did the job and he wanted to charge me CAD$100 for the doors sill ($25 per door). For that, I said no way, I will do it myself.Unfortunately, my local CT doesn't have the 3M or GILA film, so I am still searching locally before resigning myself to order it online and pay the extra shipping.

Interesting thing, he told me that I was not the first Rogue owner to ask him for that.

SquiggyFreud

I got 35% on my front windows today $60.00 even. I wanted to do a strip across the windshield, but he agreed on what I had read that it would look like crap with that dot matrix stuff around the rear view mirror.

Direwolf

jmbones wrote:Drive 1.5hrs up the turnpike to Lehighton. There's a place called Mobile Edge. They do excellent tinting. http://www.mobileedgeonline.com

Call before you go, as they require appointments.
Emailed those guys for some prices/info on the tinting and never heard a single thing back.

jmbones

That sucks. I get all my stuff done there. From experience, usually a full tint job is about $225-250 depending on which type of tint. I'd call them and see what the deal is. Going to be taking my wifes in soon for the two front windows and remote start.
Direwolf wrote:
Emailed those guys for some prices/info on the tinting and never heard a single thing back.

shavimusha
Car: 2008 NISSAN ROUGE SL AWD / 1998 NISSAN MAXIMA GXE

don’t get your self in trouble I did tint my windows on my maxima and I heave to pay price every time they pull me over its $ 150 for each front window so every time they pull you over you would pay $ 300 and it could happen every day and in ny ticket is undisputable that means you cant go to court I tried and they told me in dmv I cant dispute this kind of ticket so just do rear windows and plus I think when you take your car for inspection they would not do it they would ask you to remove tint first I always go to same guy in questionable shop in Brooklyn I don’t let them touch my car in any other way just inspection and I pay him $ 20 more and I just drive in and get stickers they don’t actually do inspection but one time I tried other shop and they told me they wont do it unless remove tints ! For me its worth to keep tints my car is registered in ny but I keep maxima in Philadelphia and in different state they cant ticket you for equipment violation so think before you do it

jmbones

Direwolf wrote:
Did you have any luck calling them yet? My wife stopped in yesterday and is getting her two front windows completed this Saturday to match the factory rear windows. (20% electronics friendly non-metalized tint)

Rocket J Dawg
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD Premium Package

I just got my front windows tinted locally for $79.00 at 35%. The installer put a meter on the rears to find out what the % was and it turned out between 25 & 30% so we agreed 35 was best for the fronts. The installer also told me that there are no laws in Ontario with regards to window tinting so long as the Police officer can see a silloette and distinguish between male and female.

mstrmstr
Car: Venom Red ROGUE 08...and 4 others

HI,Here in INDIANA,USA, front door window tint is limited to 35% legal.

I had 20% put on. I have a sunlight restriction prescription for my wife from my Opthamologist which is allowable here. I do have to carry the prescription. ( kinda like a get out of jail free card.)

Many squad cars now carry light transmission meters.

It is advised you become familiar with the laws and ordinances in your area.

Have a professional install the tint for about $50 usd.. get a warrantee and if they screw it up- they fix for free. They also use a better product than we get off the shelf.

Return to “Rogue Forum”