general questions

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
dfeicke
Car: 2000 Nissan Frontier 2003 Dodge SRT-4

2000 Frontier, 4 cyl., auto, 2wd. Just curious what kind of gas mileage others are getting. This is a club cab with an aluminum cap (small)and some minor tools normally in the back. I'm hard pressed to get over 20 mpg on the highway. Is this normal for a 4 cyl?

Also, at times, when backing or turning, I get a sharp crunching noise from underneath....seems to be in the torsion bar area. Is this a common problem? Is there a fix? I've heard it from other similar vehicles also.

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

Are the noises coming at near or at full lock? Steering stops might need some grease on them if that's the case.

Otherwise, get under the truck and ensure the bolts holding the front Xmeber on (at the front of the lower control arm mounts) are torqued down tight, as they can loosen a bit over time.

That mileage is not unrealistic for that truck. These things are geared to have a little bit of power left at the expense of some higher cruising RPM's.

Gingerly driving might get numbers in the 23-24 range, but probably not any better than that.

My 4 banger gets about 16-17mpg on the highway (of course, it's 4wd, has a crapload of steel on it, and I'm running 33" tires), but these are not high MPG trucks.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”