Gen 4 ('97) Maxima needs left side driveshaft replaced

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
DrLou
Car: Nissan Maxima 97

...And I could use a few tips!

I do have the Repair Manual - and both it and others here indicate that the RIGHT side half-axle must be removed in order to remove the LEFT side.

First, is this definitely true? and Second: Though I do see the tap-a-screwdriver-from-the-right-side-to-remove-the- left-side method in the manual, could someone shed a bit more light on this (Before I get under the car!)?

Where exactly is the access window for this process?
How long a screwdriver is needed for this?
Are there any spline alignment or other gotchas to be aware of before I start all this?
Did everyone use the seal protector tool as indicated, or did we all make one out of lying-around plastic sheeting, as I plan to do?

Many thanks for any help/tips/pointers anyone - who's done this job! - can offer. Lou

MaximA32

You're going to need a pry bar. In all honesty, unless you have access to a lift, you're not going to be able to create enough leverage needed to get the axle out of the trans.

DrLou
Car: Nissan Maxima 97

Kenny, Many thanks for your response.

As it turns out, it was way easier to get out than I thought it would be (the manual seems a little misleading in this regard). Anyway, using a prybar, and a bit of patience, rotating the axle a few degrees with each 'pry', I was able to get the axle out in a couple of minutes.

Good thing, too. Outer boot is completely cracked open, with grease spun out all over it. Not to mention the tell-tale clicking sound...

Despite what some have said though, I did lose a small amount of trans fluid in the process. No biggie.

With a bit of daylight tomorrow am, I start the reassembly. Wish me luck! Lou

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”