Gear Shifter Squeak

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
DCAB136
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

So I picked up my new Rogue about two weeks ago and just about last week a started hearing some creaking around the gear shifter. I hear it more when I'm taking sharp turns and especially when its cold out. I brought to the dealer they determined the noise was coming from the silver plastic trim around the shifter. It seems to be a little lose and you can hear it by moving slightly to the left and right. They ordered a new one but I wont be getting it put in until next week due to the holiday. Has anyone else experienced this type of squeaking in their Rogue?

Derango
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD w/ Premium Package

I'm also experiencing that. I think I'm going to be taking mine into the dealer next week because it's getting seriously annoying.

Same thing as you. Sharp corners when it gets cold causes a plastic on plastic squeak sound.

I too bought my rogue a little over 2 weeks ago.

jaywhiz21
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue Gotham Gray SL AWD

Me too! Exactly the same, under the same conditions. Thanks for bringing it to light.

-Jimmy

DCAB136

yeah...it's definitely very annoying!

Derango

Make sure you let us know if the repair fixes the problem. I'd be interested to know.

desiguy

I have the same problem. When I had my ABS module replaced, the sound went away. About a day, the same squeks came back.

Kinda glad to know that I am not the only one.

Beagle_Hauler
Car: 1996 Suzuki X-90 & 1944 Ford GPW

Our Rogue started doing it this morning too. It was a whole whopping 35F outside and we took the first few corners and there was a very fient but audible squeak from the gear shifter area. One thing I have noticed, is when I have a fast food drive through cup (IE: wax reinforced cup with thin plastic friction fit lid) that is half full or less in the front cupholder, the engine at low RPM's makes the lid vibrate (louder than the cold temperature gear shifter squeak..). It freaked me out at first and thought I had a bad dash rattle but after touching nearly everything to test for vibrations, I finaly narrowed it down to the cup lids! I've also noted the same low RPM vibration that another owner has commented about, it's right at about 1,200 to 1,350 RPM's when the vehicle is at cruise (not speeding up or slowing down, and it can be at any speed) and I'm not sure if it's one of the CVT's pullys trying to make up its mind and pick a "higher" gear or the engine balking at having to push the Rogue forward at a lowly 1200 RPM's. The vibration is there, and noticeable but not annoying.

Rogue Man
Car: 06 Civic EX Coupe FG1

Could it be the cold weather doing this? just wondering because usually in cold temps the transmission and engine isn't heated all the way yet until a few mins. Does it squeak even when everything is warmed up?

Derango

My squeak (which is definitely coming from the gear shifter silver plastic ring thingy) started when the weather got cold, but when it warms up inside the car, it still squeaks.

DCAB136

The squeak is more noticeable in colder weather but still exists even in warmer temperatures.

PUGrad
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

This has been driving me CRAZY! Has anyone figured out what the problem is yet? Mine went away for a few days and now it's back again. I'm not sure about the cold weather theory... mine seems to do it completely randomly. Sometimes there's no sound, sometimes it bugs the hell out of me.

killercross
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD

Haven't heard that yet. But there are a few rattles at low rpm that are bugging me.

jlsatt00

Mine started doing it too! I honestly didn't notice it until my husband pointed it out and now it drive me crazy too!

I plan to get it to the dealer as soon as I have the chance. Please let us know if their fix works!

YGBSM F-4G
Car: Nissan Rogue SL AWD

The noises are very common in cars during cold weather. I've had it in previous Nissan and current Toyota, but have yet to hear it in my Rogue with 30 degree weather in the mornings here.

It has to do with expansion. When your interior warms up, the plastic expands to make tighter fits. Some cars have it worse than others. The cars I've had it happen in only have it for about 5-10 minutes until the cars interior warms up. Nothing that was bad enough to take it to the dealer. I doubt they'd be able to fix it unless it was really serious and didn't disappear after car warm-up.

Derango

YGBSM F-4G wrote:...and didn't disappear after car warm-up.
Bingo.

DCAB136

I just got my Rogue back from the dealership and I am happy and relieved to say, the squeak is gone!! They replaced the sliver trim around the gear shifter and I could instantly feel a difference. The trims seems to have a better fit and barely moves when taking corners.

I drove the car for about 20 minutes on my lunch break and I couldn't hear a thing. Hopefully this lasts!!

Derango

Yeah, waiting to see if it lasts a week or so before I consider taking mine in for it. Mine was fine from the dealer for a bit.

Good to hear they fixed it. Mind giving us an update in a week or so?

DCAB136

So its been a week since I got the gear trim replaced. I am pleased to say that the noise has not returned as of yet. I've heard a few minor clicks here and there, but nothing like I heard with the original gear trim in place.

With that said, I'm sure that those little clicks I hear ever once in a while will become more frequent over a month or two. So this fix seems to be merely a temporary solution. I hope Nissan comes up with a fix for this annoyance.

Even with this minor issue, I'm still loving my Rogue!!

bibblesrogue35
Car: rogue sl

Thanks everyone...going to nissan un a week I will mention this post. Very annoying but love my rogue...

DCAB136

I spoke to the manager at my Nissan Dealership about how my replacement trim is starting to make the noise again. She asked if I could write her an email depicting details of the issue and when I went to the dealership to get it fixed. She then called me back saying she had forwarded the email to her bosses and that they were going to call Nissan to try to get a fix for this...

Will update with more info. Hoping to hear back from her later today.

DCAB136

Just an update...

I dropped off my car AGAIN this morning to have it checked out by the manager and a technician of my dealership. They were on the phone with a technician from Nissan to figure out what's causing the squeak. Apparently, it's not the trim that is squeaking but the actual shifter plate (the plate with P,R,N,D). The first time they fixed the problem they had only replaced the trim. Now the manager ordered the entire shifting console. Should have it in two days. Will update later this week.

Thanks!

jaywhiz21

THANK YOU for the information, and please keep us updated. My squeaking/creaking has gotten out of hand...Thanks.

-Jimmy

DCAB136

I picked up my car this afternoon from the dealership after they replaced the gear shifter console. So far, so good. The trim and plate are tight and haven't made any noises when I drove it around this afternoon. I'm really hoping this is the permanent fix I've been looking for. I will update in a week on the results of this fix.

By the way, it must be the smell from the new shifter console, but my car smells just like the first day I got it. Love that new car smell!!

Etch
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL - Phantom White

DCAB136 wrote:I picked up my car this afternoon from the dealership after they replaced the gear shifter console. So far, so good. The trim and plate are tight and haven't made any noises when I drove it around this afternoon. I'm really hoping this is the permanent fix I've been looking for. I will update in a week on the results of this fix.

By the way, it must be the smell from the new shifter console, but my car smells just like the first day I got it. Love that new car smell!!
New car smell...mmmmmmmmmmmm. Nothing like that smell.

DCAB136

So after I had the shifter trim and plate replaced last week, I heard the infamous squeak again over the weekend. This time, it was worse than before. Since my dealership was closed on the 24th and 25th (Christmas), this morning, I called the manager who has been helping me to tell her, it was back. I expressed how frustrated I was with this whole thing and she seemed very understanding due to the fact they must be frustrated too. So I brought it in during lunch time to have the technician who has been working on my Rogue, drive it with me. We drove and he heard the squeaking instantly and popped the gear shifter trim off. It was a little terrifying to see something popped off my new car like that. Anyways, I drove it without the trim and the noise disappeared. It was definitely coming from the trim. He then showed my what is exactly happening. The trim is contains a 'floating' design. There is a piece inside the moves with the car as your turning. The metal clips that hold the trim to the car is what's causing the squeak.

After he brought it to the dealership he said that he was going to add some felt to the contact points of the trim to stop the squeaking. Apparently the Quest had a similar problem and this fixed it.

When I drove it back, no squeak. Hopefully this is the permanent fix. Third time is a charm!!

DCAB136

Just an update...Its been about two weeks since I had the felt applied to the gear shifter trim at my dealership and I am glad to say the noise has not returned regardless of the cold weather.

Happy this little annoyance was solved!!

jaywhiz21

Thanks for the update. In your earlier post, you said that the dealer popped off the trim. Did you see that procedure? I tried to pop it off this weekend using a cushioned putty knife, but it didn't budge and I didn't want to put too much pressure on it. Can you describe how the trim was popped off??

Thanks.

-Jimmy

Derango

Yeah, it sounds like something one could fix themselves if they wanted to. I'm afraid of breaking something.

DCAB136

I don't think he had any type of tool with him but he had experience working on this issue with my Rogue, so he must have know exactly where to pop it off. I was kinda shocked at first when he did it so I really don't know how.

He told me not only did he add felt to the contact points but he also took apart the interior of the trim and added it to the floating part as well. I don't know how easy that would be able to do on your own.

I would probably just bring it in for safe measure. I brought my car in three times for this issue and didn't pay a dime. In fact, I received some free oil changes for having to come back for them to fix it!!

Hope this helps...

jaywhiz21

Ok. Perhaps it's best to bring it in. Thanks again for your insight!-Jimmy

Return to “Rogue Forum”