Gear shift hesitation at higher speeds

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
mx6bfast
Car: 08 Rogue SL FWD

It never fails that nearly everyday when I drive home from work this happens.

I get on the interstate which has a somewhat flat entrance onto it. Once on the flat interstate I get to about 60 mph (not gunning it) and it can take up to 30 seconds for the rpm's to drop down. I even try to let off the gas to help it drop but it doesn't always take at first. So I'm sitting there going 65 mph with rpm's getting up in the 4k range. Sometimes, like today, I have to get the car up to 80 close to 5k rpm's for it to finally drop.

I did a search but didn't find anything about this. Has anyone else experienced this or know what could be the cause? Do I need to contact the local dealer? My car was 4400 miles.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

That definatley doesn't sound normal. The only time your vehicle should rev up to between 3 and 5000 rpms is under really heavy throttle accereration, and/or when hitting really steep grades, and even then I don't think I've ever had mine even close to 5000 rpms.

My Rogue up-shifts to its highest gear ratio immediately when I reach highway speeds, there is no delay, and in your example I would be down to around 2000 rpms right away. I'd definately mention it to your dealer. My Rogue never makes it to 4000 rpms no matter how fast I drive, not even close, it barely gets to 3000 for that matter, unless I gun it for fast acceleration around town or passing on the highway, and then it immediately drops back to low rpms the moment I left off the throttle.
Modified by kerrton at 8:55 PM 12/2/2008

philipa_240sx

Keep one thing in mind: The CVT will not go into overdrive as quickly when cold. I have noticed this during city driving esp. during the cold winter. This is a feature of the CVT programming, presumably to help engine and tranny warmup.

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

mx6bfast wrote:I get on the interstate which has a somewhat flat entrance onto it. Once on the flat interstate I get to about 60 mph (not gunning it) and it can take up to 30 seconds for the rpm's to drop down. I even try to let off the gas to help it drop but it doesn't always take at first.
Did you try the other way around?

Usually, when I drive on the ramps, I stay at about 1500 rpms which will give you a nice and constant acceleration and bring you to about 50 mph. And then I start opening the gases a little bit more to reach 2000 rpms and get about 62-65 mph.

Like that no need for your car to move to overdrive, you are already in overdrive mode.

If you find that 1500 rpms is too slow, choose the rpms you will be at cruising speed and stay at this rpm (for example, 2000 rpms if you drive at 62-65 mph on the highway). Don't let the car go above your selected rpm while accelerating.

mx6bfast

philipa_240sx wrote:Keep one thing in mind: The CVT will not go into overdrive as quickly when cold. I have noticed this during city driving esp. during the cold winter. This is a feature of the CVT programming, presumably to help engine and tranny warmup.
This on ramp is less than a mile from my parking spot at work. I first noticed it a few weeks ago when it was still warm in Memphis.

mx6bfast

Pescakl1 wrote:
Did you try the other way around?

Usually, when I drive on the ramps, I stay at about 1500 rpms which will give you a nice and constant acceleration and bring you to about 50 mph. And then I start opening the gases a little bit more to reach 2000 rpms and get about 62-65 mph.

Like that no need for your car to move to overdrive, you are already in overdrive mode.

If you find that 1500 rpms is too slow, choose the rpms you will be at cruising speed and stay at this rpm (for example, 2000 rpms if you drive at 62-65 mph on the highway). Don't let the car go above your selected rpm while accelerating.
I usually try to just merge in at a steady speed without gunning it. I'll check again today.

Return to “Rogue Forum”