gear oil preference please

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
counterfeitxerox
Car: 95 altima

General ? would an older transmission do better with heavier weight gear oil?

95 Altima Manual Non-Locking 5 speed 240,000 miles

Just did trans swap for a used transmission from same year car dont know donors milage just had decent looking color residual gear oil.

Is adding Lucas or other additives a good idea? More so in an older transmission?

thanks
matt

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

I have found, through trial and error, that the cheap stuff at Autozone works great. It's something like "Coastal" brand gear oil. It's all I've used since and I've not had a grind, hum or hot shifter. This last project I even decided to use it in the differential (different weight than the tranny). I use the factory recommended weight and I do not use additives.

What does any of this have to do with NISMO? Seems like the incorrect sub-forum...

counterfeitxerox
Car: 95 altima

I thought it was a very fitting sub forum given the options. But thanks for the advice. I am using the cheap stuff and everything is working great! factory weight as well and its the autozone brand n the black jug.

Return to “Altima General Discussions”