Gear Box Removal, any help much appreciated!!

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
impact240sx
Car: 1993 240sx Sr20det Gt2871R 2003 350z 1991 240sx Sr20det 2004 Land Rover DISCO

So my transmission broke. I had a whole warranty deal goin on, but I got scewed of course. Well the car is stuck in what i believe is 4th. Still driveable, but kills the clutch.

Now my plans are to remove the transmission, try to repair it, if not replace it. Now I've pulled 240sx motors/ transmissions like its my job, will pulling the z tranny be more or less the same? Also are there any helpful suggestions or hints?

Lastly, I'm going to also replace the clutch, throw-out bearing and maybe lightweight flywheel, are there any more parts suggested I replace when i get it that far apart? Also the car has 85k miles on it.

Thanks!!

zvr4
Car: 350Z/3000gt VR-4/Evo IX

Maybe you've already gotten it out by now, but I'll respond anyway. I've dropped the tranny on my Z a couple of times now, however not on a 240. I'm thinking both cars will be fairly similar as they are of course both RWD. It's fairly straight forward, but you will need to raise the car really high off the ground in order to pull the tranny out from underneath. So you might want to pick up some high rise jack stands. Make sure the bag and label everything. There isn't a lot of parts, but being you're first time on a Z better to be safe especially if your not putting it back together for a few weeks. Also if you're replacing the clutch, especially with a strong than stock one, you should definitely replace the clutch pivot ball with a chromoly one. The reason I had to drop my tranny is because that little ball snapped... twice.

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

zvr4 wrote:Also if you're replacing the clutch, especially with a strong than stock one, you should definitely replace the clutch pivot ball with a chromoly one.
^^^ This. :yesnod

CZP Chromoly Clutch Pivot

But, I'm betting it's been fixed since he had a thread over in 350Z Gen about towing his 240SX with the Z.

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”