Gauge cluster not working

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
housepuke

I have a 2002 Xterra. In the last couple of days the gauges will stop working periodically. They will come back typically when I downshift. Any ideas on why the tachometer, speedometer and temperature gauges would do this?

NISTECH

your gauge cluter is called a unified meter,kinda built like a control unit, inputs are sent to the processor on the board and distributed to the appropriate output( i.e. fuel gauge,temp gauge,speedo,ect) there have been several incedents where the cicuits fail. not just on the xterra but frontier and pathfinder have the same problem. when you gauges do this you may experiance some idle or surging probs too. replace the unified meter and all will be good. my guess is if you cycle the key everything comes back on right?

housepuke

As a matter of fact that is what happens. The truck will be going to a dealership tomorrow to be repaired. Any guesstimates on what it may cost? Thanks

NISTECH

how many miles you got on it? that part should be covered up to 60k there are more extensive warrenties on certain parts but each state is different above and beyond 60k. not sure of the price of that part since all the ones i have replaced were done under warrenty. quick note though be expectant to leave it over night cause the part comes from NY and is preprogrammed with your milage. again state laws may make a difference but here in california the odometer has to exactly match the milage it had coming in to the dealership when it leaves. they over night the part if it is ordered early enough in the day. so drop it off early and inform them when dropping it off you think its the unified meter.also say to them"if you need it over night I expect it back tomorrow so it would be wise that you get in the shop early so I can have it back tomorrow" that way it wont turn into a three day ordeal cause they didnt get it in the shop till 3 in the afternoon.

housepuke

Fortunately the milage is just under 60k. I really appreciate your assistance with this. I have printed out the information you provided to take to the dealership with me.Again, thanks very much!

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”