Gas pedal hard to push on 98 QX4

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
osu9400
Car: 2002 I35, 98 QX4, 97 Nissan Truck

It doesn't happen all the time, just about 50%. After sitting at a light or whatever, my gas pedal becomes "stuck" and is hard to push down. Of course, I push hard and the car takes off very fast! Once it unsticks, it is ok until I stop again.

Any idea why this is happening?

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

your throttle body is probably gunked up. Take off the intake hose, clean it with throttle body cleaner, and then run the engine.

osu9400
Car: 2002 I35, 98 QX4, 97 Nissan Truck

Thanks for the reply. I'm not that versed under the hood but I am willing to try anything. Can you explain your suggestion in terms that I can understand.

Specifically:1. Which intake hose?2. What cleaner do you recommend?

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

NOT the blue circled thing, this picture is from another topic. The big *** plastic hose above the blue circle, its probably 3" in diameter and connected to the metal throttle body. Its on a screw type hose clamp and you need a screwdriver to loosen up the clamp then take the hose off. Inside the throttle body you will see the metal butterfly that acts like a valve, which opens and closes depending on how much throttle you are giving on the gas pedal. You will see that this throttle body is controlled by a cable, it is connected to your gas pedal. Basically, on another spot on your plastic intake tube, there is a connection which is the vent for your crankcase. They reroute the vent tube into the intake for smog purposes - it is ideal to add an oil catch can in this location but not nearly worth it on a VG33. I rerouted mine to open up on the ground. ANYWAYS - over time, small amounts of oil and oil vapors travel through this vent line, in turn gunking up the throttle body which is the victim in this situation. This causes the gas pedal to stick. Take off the tube, clean it well with throttle body cleaner and a rag, maybe some wd40, and voila

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”