Gas nozzle is still clicking off.

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
370Z/28
Car: 370Z & Z28 *SOLD*
'13 Lexus IS250C F-Sport

I already took my car in to have the "whatever" replaced in the gas tank and sometimes I still have problems with the nozzle kicking off. :mad: Just stopped to get gas and it clicked off about 10 times and I only got about 3/4 of a tank.

:tantrum:

SVTCOBRA
Car: 2018 Q60 AWD 2023 F150 4x4 5.0 FX4

Was having issues with mine doing that too.
But, have determined that it's possibly the pump's fault too.
There are a couple of pumps at the station I go to where kicks off before it's close to full , but not full. I've learned to avoid these and the others work fine.
At another station nearby, it starts clicking off like what yours is doing. I don't go there anymore with the coupe. The other cars work fine there.
Have you tried other pumps??

Pwnin O'Brien

To my knowledge, there is nothing in the gas tank that could cause the pump nozzle to stop prematurely. The way a gas pump works is when the little hole (called the "venturi nozzle") next to the pump nozzle becomes blocked with fuel, it will automatically stop pumping. So the only way (besides a bad station pump) it could stop prematurely is if the fuel backs up to the pump nozzle. I don't see how they could replace any part on the fuel filler next that could remedy this issue. The only thing I could possibly see that could remotely be causing the issue would be a kinked fuel filler neck, but I doubt that's the case because this issue would occur at every fill up. Like SVTCOBRA suggested, try a different pump or even a different station.

370Z/28
'13 Lexus IS250C F-Sport

I did go to a different station today out of necessity. I was really running low. :blush:

sniper27
Car: 2010 G37 sedan - Moonlight white/graphite
2008 M35 - Moonlight white/graphite
2011 Audi A6 3.0T - Ibis white/black

I actually had the opposite happen to me the other day. I was at the pump and it did not click off automatically when it was full and gas spewed out of my tank like a loose garden hose. Ihave not filled up since then, but i'm hoping it was the pump's fault.

pintsize725
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan

I've been having this problem. I called Infiniti when I bought the car and was told that there were no outstanding recall issues. I'm way out of warranty so does anyone have any ideas on what it might be? Lately it clicks off at 3/4 of a tank.

370Z/28
'13 Lexus IS250C F-Sport

pintsize725 wrote:I've been having this problem. I called Infiniti when I bought the car and was told that there were no outstanding recall issues. I'm way out of warranty so does anyone have any ideas on what it might be? Lately it clicks off at 3/4 of a tank.

I would check on that again. Mine was "fixed" :mad: under waranty.

kboy79
Car: 2007 G35, 2008 FX 35

I have the exact same problem in both of my Infiniti's. For me, I fix this problem like this.

When the gas pump stops even though it's not full, just take the pump out and put it back in. Instead of pumping the gas fully, just squeeze it half way. Even though it will take you little longer than usual to get full, it will at least get your tank filled up.

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

08.black.G37 wrote:I already took my car in to have the "whatever" replaced in the gas tank and sometimes I still have problems with the nozzle kicking off. :mad: Just stopped to get gas and it clicked off about 10 times and I only got about 3/4 of a tank.

:tantrum:

Valve sensor in the neck of the tank??

Sending unit and rings in the tank?

pintsize725
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan

kboy79 wrote:I have the exact same problem in both of my Infiniti's. For me, I fix this problem like this.

When the gas pump stops even though it's not full, just take the pump out and put it back in. Instead of pumping the gas fully, just squeeze it half way. Even though it will take you little longer than usual to get full, it will at least get your tank filled up.
I try that all the time, still clicks off even half way squeezed. Taking my car in to get checked soon.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Oh how I hate what is called the ORVR system. This is not something we can really test. I sometimes take the car to the gas station with this concern but who's to say the gas station we use has the same nozzles. ORVR stands for Onboard Refueling Vapor Recovery system, ideally it should contain the Hydrocarbon rich vapors displaced while refilling the gas tank it cleans the fumes while letting the air out through the charcoal canister. This system requires the pump to work correctly as well as the car, I know what you are thinking great another variable.

The pressures this system works with are so small it is near impossible for testing to be done accurately. Since the pressures are so small any issue anywhere will cause the pump to shut off (the pump works on the same negative pressures)

The pump is similar here is an excerpt from http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-effi ... l-tank.htm
Near the tip of the nozzle is a small hole, and a small pipe leads back from the hole into the handle. Suction is applied to this pipe using a venturi. When the tank is not full, air is being drawn through the hole by the vacuum, and the air flows easily. When gasoline in the tank rises high enough to block the hole, a mechanical linkage in the handle senses the change in suction and flips the nozzle off.
Really the only thing you (the owners) can do is make sure the little rubber boot on the nozzle is on there nice and tight. Keep it as still as possible, unless your state allows you to lock them :naughty: make sure the receptacle end on the car is clean.

If there is a problem with this system there are only two things that can be replaced, one being the filler neck, the other being the gas tank. There have been some updated shutter valves announced via tsb over the years but those are only free under warranty (tsb not recall), the parts are really cheap but finding someone willing to put their hands inside your gas tank will usually cost you. I have needed stitches after cutting myself on a gas tank.
If you decide to do this yourself use extreme caution.

I have had a few issues like these over the years but they are fairly few and far between not to take away from any of your individual concerns but you might have to return a few times before this is resolved. Not only do most of the people in the dealerships not actually know what the ORVR system is diagnosis for this is a real pita, and there is no verification process.
The only time we (the technicians) know we did our job if you (the owners) don't come back mad at us.

gnubunny

I am having this problem but with my xterra, had the vehicle for several years and it started happening.

bp787

I recently received a notice of a recall for this issue. Of course the infiniti dealer in Indianapolis said: " if we can't reproduce it, you get billed a diag fee". It's nearly impossible to forcibly reproduce this. The recall should just be for ALL vehicles.

I'm going to try to record the issue with video and use that as proof.

zakmartin
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue, 2008 Nissan 350Z Touring

Call Nissan/Infiniti and complain re: the recall notice and you'll be reimbursed for the diagnostic. Tell them that there was nothing in the notice that indicated it could be anything other than the problem/solution it outlined and nothing in it stating that you could be on the hook for fees. I went through the same thing and had my diagnostic fee refunded in less than a week.

With regard to the recall, they're going to check to see if the valve in the filler neck is opened or closed. Based on how that goes, they will (in all likelihood) tell you that they need to get the car back with a nearly empty tank so they can dig their arm in the passenger fuel pump access port and squirm it through to the other side to get to the vapor cut valve that SteveTheTech outlined above. I have the full TSB (with photos of the guy's arm and everything) if anyone wants me to scan it and post it here.

I was pretty disappointed with the bait and switch philosophy Nissan is allowing with this recall. I hope you saved all of your receipts, because they're going to want to see those when you file your claim. Simply call the number on the recall letter and they'll send you to a regional claim manager.

bp787

That's great unless the problem doesn't happen. Then I'll have to go back. rinse and repeat

Luckily, I haven't taken it in yet. I was asking them to check it while my car was already in there.

I think I'll call infiniti and complain before I go in. Basically get it pre-covered.

zakmartin
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue, 2008 Nissan 350Z Touring

bp787 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:13 pm
I think I'll call infiniti and complain before I go in. Basically get it pre-covered.
:yesnod Not a bad idea. Tell Infiniti that you want them to cover the diagnostic re: the recall. Makes sense that they should.

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”