gas mileage

General discussion area for the L33-chassis Altima.
curly
Car: 2013 Altima 2.5 SL

I get 31 mpg in city, not bad, but only 32 mpg on highway. I've had it in several times for various problems and every time I complain about gas mileage they say there isn't anything wrong. What happened to the advertised 38 mpg on highway? Any one else having this problem?

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

There's nothing wrong with your car. "Estimates for all vehicles are based laboratory testing under standardized
conditions to allow for fair comparisons" click on the following link for more information about fuel economy estimates.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/guides/FEG2013.pdf

Additionally, you need to consider factors such as your highway driving speed, whether or not you're using cruise control, the weather, wind speeds, tire pressure, number of passengers in your car, et cetera. Also, it's very common to yield slightly less MPG than what the manufacture states (click on the link to understand why) for all makes and models. Heck, even people who drive Hybrids and electric cars have slight descrepancies with mileage estimates. :yesnod

lne937s
Car: 2012 Nissan Juke SL AWD

curly wrote:I get 31 mpg in city, not bad, but only 32 mpg on highway. I've had it in several times for various problems and every time I complain about gas mileage they say there isn't anything wrong. What happened to the advertised 38 mpg on highway? Any one else having this problem?
How are you calculating your mileage? If you are looking at the rolling average mpg display on your car, it is averaging in your previous driving. If so, "city" is averaging in some highway driving, and "highway" is averaging in some city. 31 mpg is better than the EPA City rating.

The only real way to judge highway mileage is to go on several long trip where you are driving exclusively on the highway, track how many miles you have driven between fill-ups and how many gallons you consumed. As the fill-ups will not be exactly to the same level due to different pumps, an average of those trips will give you an idea of your mpg.

I rented an Altima in Texas, drove it at ~85 on the highways there, with the AC on, and measured a hair under 37 mpg (not what it said on the display), so highway mpg should be pretty good. The car does seem to respond well to pulse and glide.

kirankamreddy
Car: Nissan Altima 2014 SL

I am glad that i had bought the 2014 Altima 2.5 SL last month - something that i have been planning for a while now. I really like the car, its interiors, the bose speakers and the GAS MILEAGE. I have a long commute to work on the highway, so, the 27/38 gas mileage really stuck with me.

However, I have driven the car for about 800 miles now and, unfortunately, I have never seen the gas mileage go more than 27.6.. :confused: :confused: On an average, my car display only shows about 27 miles, while 80% of my commute is on a highway. I have never used the cruise option yet but I drive at an average speeds about 60-80. Is this something to worry about ? or the car is new and is still in the adjustment mode ?
Last edited by Rogue One on Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing thread

jimwavect
Car: 2013 Altima S 2.5L

Bought a used 2013 2.5S in Oct. 2014 and went on a highway trip immediately. Was getting 38-40 mpg at 65 to 75 mph. Since then, the mileage plummeted with low to mid 20's around town (more like suburbs than city) with a very light foot. During the current cold spell, mileage has dropped into high teens! Never owned any car that had such a disparity between best and worst mpgs.

vdallas3
Car: 2014 Nissan Altima SV

2014 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV - 172 mile daily commute. 168 miles on interstate, w/ 4 miles city driving. 73 MPH on interstate.
38.9 MPG average.

altmycar
Car: 2013 Altima 3.5 SL with Tech

2013 3.5 SL. Reset average mpg so as to measure highway mpg alone.
Reset in Philadelphia Pa on trip to Arlington Va . Towards the end the car display showed 36.5 mpg.
That was after a short descent down to Potomac River ( downhill).
Before the downhill was at 36.0.
The reverse trip the display was at 34.3
In town and mixed driving brings it way down. 27.5-28.1 mixed driving
Local only 13-16 mpg hills, stop signs, red lights, etc.

Return to “5th Generation Altima Sedan (2013-2018)”