Gas Leak From Tube After Evap canister

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
A1218
Car: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE

Need some help here, on my 97 Pathfinder I was smelling some gas in the cabin while driving this evening. It was smelling very high from the trunk area at back. And I mean very high smell as if you were filling gas at the station.

Checked underneath and didn’t see any gas leaking from lines. However, I decided to check by evap canister and some gas and a lot of vapor was coming out from a tube like vent right after the canister. If you put a light to this tube you can see all the gas fumes coming out. This is while engine was running.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

This past August you posted about a P1441 DTC that comes and goes. This code indicates an EVAP system leak. I believe it is likely your vacuum cut valve or vacuum cut valve bypass valve that is leaking. A constant small leak from either one of these valves will allow a constant intake manifold vacuum to continuously suck fuel vapor from your tank into the EVAP canister. The vacuum cut valve, which is like a one-way check valve, should only be open when the engine is turned off. The cut valve is connected in parallel with the bypass valve which is only opened momentarily during onboard self diagnostics when the engine is started. These valves should close completely when the engine is running normal. When the engine is running, air is drawn from the bottom of the canister via the EVAP system purge control. That tube you see all those fumes coming out of is where the air is drawn into the canister. The fact that you see and smell the gas from this tube indicates your canister carbon is heavily loaded with fuel vapor at has been sucked into it by the intake manifold through a leak in the vacuum cut valve or vacuum cut valve bypass valve. Page EC-300 of the FSM will explain how to confirm this diagnosis or prove that I have no clue what I'm talking about. It sounds good though. Good luck. https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 997/ec.pdf

A1218

The P1441 code I previously had was for one of the evap lines going to but before the bypass valve. I changed that line and code went away and never came back. And after this repair system held its pressure.

Smoke tested to make sure and tested the bypass valve and the solenoid to ensure proper function. Both working.

I guess with this issue I have to change the charcoal canister? And the vent control valve?

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

Yep. I'm clueless as to how you could see some gas and a lot of vapor coming out of that tube unless the vacuum cut valve was leaking, or may its bypass valve. Gave it my best guess.

A1218

Hopefully I’ll get a code

A1218

Yeah the code P1441 is back after two months after that gas smell from the tube.

Ill change out the the two parts there and see what happens from there.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”