gas gauge problem

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
darcwun
Car: 03 M45 & 04 FX35 AWD

Just got a used 04 fx35 and immediately noticed that the gas gauge seems to act up. When the gauge starts to come close to E it will jump up back to quarter tank. I used to have a similar issue with my 03 m45 and this was a huge problem as I would get my car stalled frequently because I never knew accurately if my tank was empty or quarter full. Is this a known issue for the FX?

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

I have seen this before, it seems they all are different. There are several electrical tests that need to be run to pin down what it is. I'm not saying it's a problem but you are not the first. The dealer might be the way to go on this, you may need to be patient with this repair. I feel bad when people bring cars in with this complaint, we really don't want to waste precious gas so it makes verifying the repair hard.

koprkat
Car: 2003 FX35

I have a 2003 FX35 w/ 66000 miles.

Problem with fuel gauge started several 1000 miles ago. I would notice that when I filled the car up it would not go to full anymore. Then when its got less than a 1/4 of a tank it will jump aroundsometimes turning the light on then going back up to 1/4 etc.

I see where the M45s have the same problem but they are talking cluster replacement etc. and that Infiniti is recognizing its a problem and fixing them even out of warranty.

The dealer tells me the entire fuel pump needs replacing to fix this on the FX! $850!!!!WHAT! Our warranty just expired.

Anyone know if this is true?

FX45BOXMAN
Car: Infiniti FX45

12.5.08I was just told today that Infiniti will replace my fuel tank at no charge - 47,000 miles out of warranty.

My FX45 fuel gauge started acting up several months back. Then it got to the point where it was entirely inaccurate and useless. I ran out of gas on a busy rainy freeway last week and decided I better bite the bullet to fix what I assumed were bad sending units in the tank (estimated at 800.00 to repair.)

They called me and said that what was wrong was a collpased "baffle" in the tank and that the entire tank would need to be replaced at a cost of 1600.00. I flipped and told the dealer that I would begin a campagn of complaining and would see if others had similar issues. TANKS SHOULD NOT BE A WEAR PART.

The next day, the dealer called back and said Infiniti would replace the tank at no cost to me.

This makes me feel great about Infiniti backing up their product. It also tells me that they may know they have a big issue on their hands that they would rather fix than face serious repercussions.

- boxman

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Hey there FX45BOXMAN Welcome to Nico!

I am glad to see you got your issue resolved. to the 107,000 miles. A gas tank is not a wearable part as a whole. There are a several valves and tons of piping inside there to balance the fuel level and pressure while refueling. I have only seen a very small handful of FM body gas tanks, that's not to say it doesn't happen. Sometimes things inside there do fail but it is not a general problem. Gas gauge issues are usually one of three main components. The sending unit,unified meter, or gas tank.

saeedakobiakov
Car: 03 M45

i am surprised that fx has the same problem as the most of 03,04 m45.Problem is fixed on the warranty ."gauge cluster" is the problem on the Ms.

av8or
Car: '07 FX35 AWD ... '06 4runner limited ..... A320 F.O. (my other ride)

i had the same problem on my g35 and since we share the same common parts, this can easily be repaired by cleaning your fuel sensors by a q-tip.. there should be an easy access inside, so you don't have to remove the fuel tank..good luck

here's my gauge after i cleaned it out.. no problems for 4 mos now...

http://forums.g35club.org/zerothread/391710

afg4real
Car: 2003 coupe g35

ok how in the world do i clean the fuel sensors with a Q Tipany guides on how to get to the tank and do this?

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”