Gas Gauge Problem?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
RubenTheRogue
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD

Sorry, I don't have time to search as I need to get to work...but here's the problem: Wife drove the Rogue today, 5 minutes into her drive I get a call saying the gas gauge is blinking like it is empty and the DTE reads 0. I filled it yesterday with gas. It started up fine and the fuel info was correct for the first 5 mins of her drive. She turned it off, loosened and retightened the gas cap...no change. After work tonight (if the Rogue makes it home), I'll put my scanner on it to see if it is coding...any preliminary thoughts?

philipa_240sx

There is a service bulletin from Nissan regarding the fuel level sensor. It could be related:

Quote »NTB08037 - SB 08 Rogue; MIL Light On DTC P0463IF YOU CONFIRM DTC P0463 (Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Input) is stored in the ECM and there are no other vehicle driveability symptoms, ACTIONS: Confirm this bulletin applies. Check and compare your Current ECM Part Number to Table A on page 3. If that part number does not match one in Table A, this bulletin does not apply. Go back to ASSIST for further diagnostic and repair information. See this bulletin for further detail.[/quote]The fuel level sensor is read by the gauge cluster then transmitted to the ECU via the CAN bus. The ECU will then generate the diagnostic code and the CEL light if there is a problem:

P0462 = fuel level sensor cct low inputP0463 = fuel level sensor cct high input

The fuel level sensor voltage is inverse to the tank level:

Full tank = approx 3.5VEmpty tank = approx 0V

Seems to me the above bulletin could be the cause of your problem.

If your scanner does not pull up any codes, I would consider brining it to the dealer. It's under warranty. If not, arm yourself with the Rogue FSM and start checking the harness and connectors for the fuel pump/sensor assembly.

desiguy

The problem that I noticed is slightly different. When I get a full tank and top it off, the fuel gauge shows that I have a full tank minus one bar.

I know for a fact that I have a full tank of gas and the gauge should show all the bars.

philipa_240sx

I had a similar problem the other day. After a few minutes of driving, it returned to full (all bars ahown). First time it happened and it never reoccured. I attribute it to the slow response of the gas gauge... this is normal.

mlmcgahee
Car: 2010 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5s

It might be that someone has stolen your gas (I hope not).... I bought a locking gas cap for mine several months ago...

RubenTheRogue

It scanned 2 codes:P0463 and P0463PSES light is still onThe display and gauge are working now, miraculously it works when I get home, but my wife was freaking out about it all day not working and she's 50 miles from home....Now the battle is getting a loaner for when it goes into the dealer. It is under warranty, only 5500 miles on it.

EddNog
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

philipa_240sx wrote:I had a similar problem the other day. After a few minutes of driving, it returned to full (all bars ahown). First time it happened and it never reoccured. I attribute it to the slow response of the gas gauge... this is normal.
I agree, mine does this all the time.

-Ed

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

Probably because you don't fill it up. You may stop about between the two and since the gas is colder, when you driving, the gas expands and fill the last square. It may be also due to the imprecision of the gauge.

It happens some time to time when I drive. I am, let's say, half full (or half empty, depending of the price of the gas this day ), and after my commute to work I have one more square where I should have the same quantity or one less (my commute is about one square). Unfortunately, it won't stay in the car . It happens also the other way around when the car stayed under the sun, I have more gas but I lose it faster when I drive home.

All that sounds normal to me, fuel gauges were and are still never precise, that is the a fact to deal with.

EddNog

Pescakl1 wrote:Probably because you don't fill it up. You may stop about between the two and since the gas is colder, when you driving, the gas expands and fill the last square. It may be also due to the imprecision of the gauge.

It happens some time to time when I drive. I am, let's say, half full (or half empty, depending of the price of the gas this day ), and after my commute to work I have one more square where I should have the same quantity or one less (my commute is about one square). Unfortunately, it won't stay in the car . It happens also the other way around when the car stayed under the sun, I have more gas but I lose it faster when I drive home.

All that sounds normal to me, fuel gauges were and are still never precise, that is the a fact to deal with.
That simply cannot be the case because I tested that as well; a lot of the time I'd fill up after I got into town at the end of my commute from work, as soon as I turn the car on after filling it up, it shows one block short of full. The next morning when I first turn the car on in the morning, it shows full, all blocks, and generally speaking I need to drive easily more than 55 miles before it finally drops one block, as I'll drive to work and home (50 mile round trip commute) and I still have full, every block. It'll usually drop one block about halfway to work the next day after that for me.

-Ed

paulvanharte
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver

I never had a problem with the gauge until about 1 month ago. All of a sudden would show one bar of full eventhough I filled her up. Now its shows full again, but the same as above, the gauge seems to fluctuate far more than before. Two bars of full and when I start the car next time it shows full again. It may well be the sender unit that is off( according to my service manager) Next service I will have them have a look at this,

Paul

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

As said previously, fuel gauges are not that precise, even the contrary. It also depends of the shape of the fuel tank (in our case, the upper part of the tank vs the location of the gauge).

On one of my previous car, when close to empty, I could see the level changed on the gauge when I was turning sharp or when stopped and stepping on the gas pedal (we had a lot of jokes with my friend about that).

As long as the gauge don't show you still have gas when you don't (happened to me with the warning light coming on just as I was out of gas), that is ok with me.I use the odometer to let me know when I have to fill up the gas.

paulvanharte
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver

Same here, I tend to use the odometer as a check, as well, knowing how unreliable these gauges are. (not just the Rogue)

Paul

RubenTheRogue

NIssan tech answer:There was no problem, we reprogrammed the computer's software so now instead of only checking 2 or 3 things for a problem it will now check 4 or 5.

Ok...WTF does that mean?

philipa_240sx

My best guess:

The P0463 code is a false alarm and does not indicate any real fault. The new software fixes this problem by running additional diagnostic reoutines to ensure it's a real fault.

dmw98path

I just picked up a Rogue a week ago and within 3 days and just under 100 miles (8 restarts) had the same problem. I used my OBD II tool to scan and found exactly what is stated above:

2 Codes: P0463 and P0463P. Related to fuel level sensor (high/low input). I also noticed the distance to empty gauge jump around--not long after the "service engine soon" light went on.

First and only thing I did was to check the gas cap. Surprisingly it didn't seem to be attached very well (how does this happen). I loosened then tightened it up several clicks. Also cleared the engine code. I've now gone 3 days and 100+ miles (10 restarts +) and the light did not return.

If it does return, then it would seem to be the TSB stated at the top of this forum. When my plates come in from the dealer I'll have them check out the car and see if the ECM should be reprogrammed according to the TSB above.

-dan

dcnissan

Same prob with my Rogue. Gauge shows, full, half empty, empty etc. all within a days use. I brought mine back to dealer and the result was replacing:

Fuel Pump Assembly. NOT just the sending unit.

Should do the trick. And by now the dealer should know the deal on this prob.

RubenTheRogue

so far so good with my gauges...no repeat problems

BLPet
Car: Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I will also fill my tank up to the top, and then round the $$ off... Start the car and it will be one bar down... sometimes it will automatically reset the dte display, and othertimes it will take a while for the dte to adjust... and othertimes the dte will just keep to the same reading until the car is actually at that point in the tank. I always reset my computer readings when I fillup, and I know that I can get about 420 miles on a tank of gas when I am commuting 55 miles each way to work... about 30 miles to a gallon. I'm happy w/ that!

sanmateorogue
Car: Rogue

I’m having the same problem. I took the car to the dealer and they told me that nothing was wrong, so what I did was take pictures of the gauge when the gauge was changing the level, took them to the dealer and the gas pump was replaced. The problem was the same. I keep taking pictures and took them to dealer again, this time the cluster was replaced but the problem still the same. Any other ideas or what should I do next ???

minitrucker

I am not sure on the rogue but i do know that on miltary trucks and jeep that there is a pump and a float, the float is what goes into the tank and takes the actually readying for the gage, Thats what i would fix next after new pump (which wouldnt be the problem) then the gage then the float then after that i would check the wireing harness for a possible grounding or somthing.

philipa_240sx

The 'One bar less than full' issue appeared a few times on my recent road trip. Obviously it's an issue with the fuel level sensor. Other than the fact it does not mark full, I have not had any issues and no CEL.

I won't bother to try fixing it. It doesn't affect the gauge reading at lower fuel levels and I know the tank is full when I fill up.

minitrucker

Still could be a fuel level sensor it just works when ever it wants to, also could be the wiring harness to the fuel level senor. i mean it's not normal for a fuel gage not to read full when it's full, so there is something wrong with that.

gbancewicz
Car: 2008 Rouge SL

RubenTheRogue wrote:so far so good with my gauges...no repeat problems
What did they fix exactly? I'm having the same exact issue and the dealer is giving me the run around. Full Tanks (all bars) driven 5-10 miles, park turn off eng. Start Rouge and might be at 1/2 or 3/4 tank. Drive 5-10 miles and back to full tank. All the while the DTE is constantly changing. After taking pictures they replaced the cluster, no joy and now the fuel pump(s). They still have it and are trying to verify it.

My issue is they said they saw voltage spikes when wiggling the connectors on the back of the cluster but refuse to even think that it could be the wiring.

RubenTheRogue

I was told that the service guys "reflashed" the computer. Basically they reprogrammed it to do something different that it did off the assembly line. What exactly I don't know, tech jargon and geek programming code probably. Problem hasn't returned.

Return to “Rogue Forum”