Gas Cap - Service Engine Soon Warning Light

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
Fishman1421
Car: Infiniti EX35 AWD Journey - Black Obsidian w/ Graphite Leather/ Black Lacquer with Aluminum

I have had to bring my EX into the dealership twice already since I got it 2 months ago because of my Service Engine Soon Warning Light being on...they told me that it was the gas cap being loose, but when i refill i put it in and tighten it until it clicks a few times...does anybody have any insight to this...Also the first time I brought my EX the dealer asked me about a humming noise when I start the car that some people had complained about...turned out mine was making it and they had to change a part...not entirely sure what part but it was all covered under warranty at no cost to me...

rn79870
Car: 2008 G35 & 2005 Vette C6 vert.

With my Infiniti the gas cap being loose will trigger the check engine light. The fix is simple enough in tightening the cap until it clicks. I swear I always do this, yet I've gotten the Check engine light too. Once the cap is tightened, the light doesn't go off, instead, anywhere from 10 to 50 miles later it finally does. It's strange that it takes so long to register after the problem is fixed.

sublime1017
Car: ex35 journey with nav and premium package. RWD

Hey Fishman,

My car was making the same humming noise at startup. I told the dealership about it and they said they had to adjust some screws on a loose part on the back right side. The humming sound has gone away for the most part but not totally gone. I notice if I don't press too hard on the brake during start up that the sound is not there. However, if I do, I can still hear it. Anyway you can find out what part they replaced? Thanks!

sublime1017

Also, do you hear the humming sound now?

rn79870
Car: 2008 G35 & 2005 Vette C6 vert.

When you hear it, check to see if it appears to be coming from the gas tank area. I'm thinking that it might be the electric fuel pump.

I've searched for recalls or TSBs for the 08 EX and I can't find any for the EX. (Infiniti generally has fewer than normal, so this is no surprise).

This is a link that you may want to bookmark for future reference though.

http://www.alldatadiy.com/TSB/08_mk.html

sublime1017

Thx RN. This is the exact area. Is this a dangerous problem in your opinion?

sluday
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD Journey Moonlight-nav-premium-tech-lux

My service engine light came on a day after I filled the tank the first time and I was cursing all of Japan until I read the manual. I had the same thing happen to my Audi's as well due to a loose gas cap but it was not as scary as the "service engine soon" light. In Audi's there is a little co2 light that comes on. As far as the humming, I definitely think it is the fuel pump because when you put the car in "on" mode without starting the car, you can hear it sometimes. I would not worry about it unless it got louder over time. I actually like the humming. It reminds me of an airplane firing up it's jet engines.

Barry Zack

I have the same noise at startup. It does not sound like a fuel pump. It sounds like some sort of a motor or even pressure releasing. I have had no gas cap issues at all, so I am not connecting the two issues together myself. The wirring or humming noise at startup was not there when the car was new.

Zack

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”