Gap between bumper and hood on '83 280ZX?

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
drewchas

Hi, guys--all apologies: I'm a newbie.

I'm thinking of entering the Z universe for the first time, and I'm looking at a car that seems to have a rather large gap between the hood and the bumper. Is this something I should be concerned with? Is the fix going to be expensive?

Thanks for your help in advance.

here's the YouTube link to see what I'm talking about:

http://youtu.be/WlLEYR6hVqM

Andrew near Chicago

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Welcome aboard!

Well, there are a hundred more important things to check out on a Z you're considering buying, but we'll look at the hood gap...

I suspect it's been hit in the front. Now, this could e a simple matter of adjusting the bumper fitment, but I'd say it warrants closer inspection. I'd be looking at the bumper mounts, where they meet the unibody, and the backside of the hood (especially at the front edge). I'd be checking for body filler with a magnet. I'd want to know why the emblem is in the wrong place (looks ridiculous). Looks like the car has been repainted poorly, which is usually a dealbreaker for me. I'd rather buy a car with peeling / oxidized original paint. Removing / restoring a bad respray is a HUGE job. Most of all, considering your location, I'd get it up on a lift (or jackstands) and inspect the undercarriage WELL with a strong flashlight. Any bad corrosion should be a sign to keep shopping.

Here's what she should look like:

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”