G50 suspension options/opinions

NICO's V.I.P. styling forum.
ph34r

Did some searching but was unable to locate any specific answers.

Going to be getting a set of coilovers for the G50 and am trying to decide between a few different brands.

I have $1400 to put into it and would like to be able to get some camber adjustment in the front as well.

Any tried and tested combos that you have used that you would recommend?

Car is a 94 base and on completely stock suspension right now.

jltibbs
Car: 2015 Nissan Versa SL
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

It really depends on what look you're going for. Let me be up front and honest, $1400 may or may not get you very far. I was lucky enough to get Tokico struts and Eibach springs given to me when I picked my Q up. Later on I purchased an air suspension set up. I was very fortunate to scoop that up for $1300. Then tragedy struck in my friends Q and he gave me his JIC Magic coil overs in trade for the air suspension. That's what I'm running now, highly prefer coils over air. Just me though.

Oh, why do you need front camber adjustment? The rear will be out further than the front in no time.

Stock

Eibach

Air suspension

JIC Magic

ph34r

Main reason that I am replacing the suspension now is that I have 3 blown shocks and would rather take the time and money and put it toward a setup that I can adjust as time goes on.

I can get a set of the D2 coilovers for the G50 for 800 shipped or the KSport setup for 1k shipped so the price is reasonable.

Camber adjustment since it's a DD car for a while and I want to maintain a safe and tire friendly setup for now.

I like the height that you have on your coilovers or may even go a bit higher as I live in a hilly part of the world.

All in all I just want to not look 4x4 and still be able to go low when the time comes. If you think that the best option is for RUCAs instead of front camber adjustment then that's what I'll do.

What spring rates are you running? I have the option to custom order spring rates and was looking at a 20/16 setup.

Thoughts?

jltibbs
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

I can't comment on the ride quality of the others and I'm sure it's probably not too much different. I love my JIC's. I think my only issue with either of those is that they both call to fit 90-96. Now, unless they offer an interchangeable bushing for the rears, there's no way they'll work. The 90-93 had a 23mm ID bushing and the 94-96 has a 25mm bushing. Beyond that my vote is with k-sport.

ph34r

Good to know, I'll call then and verify the ID of the rears before I order anything.

And from what I see the S Chassis RUCA will work?

jltibbs
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

I believe some of the S13 chassis parts work on ours, S14 chassis parts work on the Y33 (97-01), so be sure to choose the right parts. I was looking at these RUCAs. One point about RUCAs that was told to me was not to get the half moon RUCAs, make sure you get the full moon (as you see in that link).

There are a few people that used Z32 struts or coilovers to get super low, there is some modification involved. The main person I can think of was thejapino, and I'm not even sure he's still around.

jltibbs
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

Also, I'm questioning myself on whether it's the ID of the front or rear now. I'll look it up.

ph34r

I already thought about the Z32 conversion but would rather get something that was designed and built to handle the weight of the car. Plus I have no fab shop in the podunk town I am stuck in until April.

I have a set of SPL v1 RUCAs left over from my S13 that I am gonna use. Gotta love finding surprises in the garage. lol.

jltibbs
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

Heck yeah, that's awesome. BYW, what area are you from?

ph34r

In Wyoming right now, but moving to Seattle in a few months. Can't wait to be in a real city again.

BLACKonBLACK98
Car: Q45, LS400, STS-V

You are not getting a different coilover because you order G50 over Z/R32. What you are getting is the same coilover with a different combination of tophats, and possiblly lower mounts. Although I'd be surprised if you ordered them and didn't get a 90-93, AKA Z/R32, front lower mount (modification needed or swap the third link for 90-93). The damper is still exactly the same and one is not designed with more weight handling than the other. Personally I would not put K-Sport or D2 (same manufacturer BTW) on my car. I was running JIC Super Lows and loved them (for sale BTW), but for my reincarnation I will be running custom BCs (McPherson front conversion). Dollar for dollar there isn't a better coilover out, but you have to know what to order because there's not a G50 app.

The key to the RUCAs is quality, not design. I ran SPL v2/3, which is a half moom, and would put them up against anything on the market. My new setup is all SPL Titanium series. I use "Z32", which is actually just cross referenced S13 (S14 has different tension and toe rods). Sticking to the "Z32" product line ensures you will get the proper parts throughout (including subframe, differential, knuckle, etc.).

ph34r

BLACKonBLACK98 wrote:What you are getting is the same coilover with a different combination of tophats, and possiblly lower mounts.
Exactly. I am looking for a bolt up kit, not one that requires modification. I have the skill to modify a set of Z32 but not the time or facilities at the moment.

As for the rest of the advise, I'll try to scout a set of Z32 SPL rear uppers. I have always liked SPL and have never had issue on any of our customer cars or drift cars we built at the shop I worked at back in Tampa.

BLACKonBLACK98

you're seriously limiting the quality of product you're getting. swapping out a third link with an oem part and custom ordering the top hats is a minimal investment of effort to drastically improve quality. if i had to have 100% bolt in i would be importing coilovers. k-sport/d2 are not even a valid option in my eyes.

ph34r

Well just got the news that I have to move to Seattle earlier than I thought. Looks like I'll be putting it on hold for now. But when I do I think I'll just take my time and find and import a set that is all good to go.

jltibbs
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

I'll second JIC. Kind of pointless not to, unless money's the issue. I'd be interested in knowing what struts to go with in the BC line up . . .

BLACKonBLACK98

I'm refining the details (got a custom spec set waiting to be installed in hawaii) but as of now we're at r32 coilovers w/ front mounts both front and rear with 25mm shorter dampers in the rear. should be bolt on for 90-93, 94-96 will require mods or third link swap.

the issue with jic is they stopped production in japan a couple years ago. us production has been announced for the first quarter of '12, but no telling as far as quality and applications yet.

the new thing for guys going really low is going to be swapping out the front suspension for s chassis, eliminating the upper arm/third link which have been giving people issues. my next projected set up will be s13 fronts w/ s13 knuckles, spl lca (new design coming in 3-4 months), 5 lug conversion hubs, camber bolts, r32 top mounts all around, and r32 rears (20mm+ short damper). w/ cups of course. goin' for the ground this time.

jltibbs
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

Instead of all that extra work, why wouldn't you just modify the Z32 coilovers?

BLACKonBLACK98

you missed the point. the s chassis is a mchpherson strut design, meaning there is no uca and the strut bolts directly to the spindle vs. having a third link. it's not really an upgrade as far as suspension design goes imo, but it will make driving low easier by avoiding some clearance issues. last time my g50 had ~2" of ground clearance, this time i'm going for <1".

jltibbs
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

Ah ok, I don't need that much. I'm going for flush, stanced. You always kill it though, Mike.

j.hardstyle
Car: 1992 Infiniti Q45 (G50)
140,000 Miles

Z32 suspension on mine....I have no regrets.

This was stock height:

Return to “VIP Forum”