2011 G37S Sensors (bumper) Chipped HELP PLZ

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
chessasfo2
Car: Infiniti G37S

Hi.... Just got our 3rd Infiniti.... I noticed that the sensors on the rear bumper were not Silver like the car. They looked as if they were covered with masking tape, but turns out they are chipped, not one is a solid silver. When going into reverse for the first time, the back-up camera/sensors on the screen were going nuts, detecting something that wasn't there....

Anyhow... we had 30 days to take care of any issues. the mechanic contacted us confirming how the sensor unit was detecting something now there, and sending out crazy warnings. After trying to figure out if it was just a wiring issue, he decided to replace the module/unit, and PAINT the bumper sensors! I gave it about an hour and called back saying DO NOT PAINT THEM.... to me doing this wouldn't help but make it worse, that replacing the module/unit without also replacing the sensors would be a waste of time. Did I do the right thing???

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Not sure...does it work? I would check the carfax to see if the vehicle has been in an accident.

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

chessasfo2 wrote:Hi.... Just got our 3rd Infiniti.... I noticed that the sensors on the rear bumper were not Silver like the car. They looked as if they were covered with masking tape, but turns out they are chipped, not one is a solid silver. When going into reverse for the first time, the back-up camera/sensors on the screen were going nuts, detecting something that wasn't there....

Anyhow... we had 30 days to take care of any issues. the mechanic contacted us confirming how the sensor unit was detecting something now there, and sending out crazy warnings. After trying to figure out if it was just a wiring issue, he decided to replace the module/unit, and PAINT the bumper sensors! I gave it about an hour and called back saying DO NOT PAINT THEM.... to me doing this wouldn't help but make it worse, that replacing the module/unit without also replacing the sensors would be a waste of time. Did I do the right thing???
It's safe to paint back-up sensors if done so properly. However, some cars equipped with OEM back-up sensors are left unpainted. If the dealership is absorbing the cost you may as well let them replace everything to play it safe. :biggrin:

300zxtt4life
Car: Sold:1992 300zx tt swap
Sold:1990 300zx tt

You should replace the sonar sensors, and the bezels already come painted.

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”