G37S Chirping sounds UPDATE

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
Cobra_Kai_84
Car: 2009 G37S convertible - Athens Blue/Graphite, Premium, Sport, Nav, rear deck spoiler

Ever since I have had my convertible (mid July), I have constantly heard a "chirp" or a "Squeak" whenever I switched from P to D, D to R, R to D. It was always a single "chirp/squeak", but it happened EVERY TIME I do said actions.

I also heard the "chirps/squeaks" sometimes when driving in the lower gears.

I spoke with an Infiniti engineer back in October at a local Infiniti-sponsored track day. He said from how I described it, it sounds like an "axle click" and that it can be a frequent occurrence in the G37's. He said it could be fixed rather easily by the service techs.

I just brought my convertible in for the first oil change, and had a service guy ride with me so he could hear the noise. He heard it, and said it definitely was a squeak.

When I picked up the car, they successfully eliminated the "squeak" sound. They said it had to do with the axles (so in my case, it was an "axle squeak" and not an "axle click") I think they greased up the axles, and now the "squeak" is gone completely.

I know there is always some confusion when trying to describe sounds based on Infiniti's service guide. but if you happen to have a convertible that is making some kind of "noise" - a squeak, a chirp, whatever you want to call it - when you switch from P to D, D to R, R to D, and when driving in low gears, it seems that the fix is rather simple when you bring your car in.

I hope this helps any of you that are dealing with this situation.

I've gotten so used to hearing that "squeak" over the last 4 months, that its actually strange to hear absolutely nothing at all now when I'm using the shifter!!! But it's so much better now!!

Petert
Car: Infiniti G37 Convert. Midnight Garnet / Saddlewood / Rosewood

How many miles before your first oil change? 4 months seems an awful long time.

I have a friend who is a gear head, and he told me that I should dump the first oil after just 500 miles because it will collect a bunch of junk from manufacturing, and you don't want that rattling around in the engine for 3,000 miles.

Also, did you go with "natural" or synthetic oil?

Glad to hear the noise is gone...."i" before "e" except after "c"...Weird.

Cobra_Kai_84
Car: 2009 G37S convertible - Athens Blue/Graphite, Premium, Sport, Nav, rear deck spoiler

just turned 3,000...

I bought the maintenance/service package, so it was the first scheduled service.

My commute is really short, so I don't pile on the miles even though its an everyday car. I even took it on a road trip to CA and probably put 1,000 miles on it that trip alone.

I know they use "ester oil" for the oil change. They say its better suited for the G37 engine. I'm not a gear head, but I believe its comparable to synthetic (I could be wrong). All I know is that they said it was good for the engine, and with the service package already bought, I don't have to think about when I should change the oil or what to put in it. that's good enough for me.

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”