G37 Years Affected by Oil Gallery Gasket Problem

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
hemi8
Car: 2013 Infiniti G37

What years of the G37 did Infinity use the piss-poor gaskets on the oil gallery plates?
What is the expected life of the crappy gaskets and the expected life of the water pump?

Mike

hemi8

After some searching I found the answer, sometime in 2012 Nissan changed to a proper gasket. Its a travesty they did not have a recall but instead flipped-off the customer and made them foot the bill. I am fortunate I own a 2013 so I only have to deal with the dumbest design water pump is history. If there is a harder water pump to change on any car ever made I'd like to see it.
Chevy did a real genius design with their LT1 engine back in the 90s when they placed their water pump directly over the distributor, I thought that one won the top prize for stupidly but no, Nissan wins hands-down.
Nissan should also recall the plastic heater hose joint that breaks and spews coolant out but they failed again and let the customer deal with the ticking time bomb. Change this one out as soon as you can with an aluminum one. Love those hose clamps Nissan uses, first item that hits the trash can,

I can deal with normal parts that wear out, but these are engineering blunders.....like the E46 3-series rear suspension cracking all its mounting points, engineering blunders require a recall. Who is watching out for the consumer........no one.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

I was quite lucky to have no issue with my '07 G35s or '08 G37s. Replacing leaky valve covers is quite a pain on the VQ as well.

hemi8

Yep, now its time to install a fulltime oil pressure gauge to keep an eye on things.

Selym
Car: 2013 Infiniti G37X

Sorry to resurrect and old-ish thread, but there's at least one member of MyG37.com who had a gallery gasket failure on a 2013 G37.

My '13 hasn't blown the gallery gasket, but my alternator just died at 92k miles. I had it towed to the dealer, since I didn't think I'd make the 24-mile drive on battery alone.

The dealership called to say they replaced the alternator, and when the started the car, they noticed transmission fluid leaking from a crack in the transmission cooler. It wasn't leaking before. I don't know if they damaged it when the removed/replaced the cooling fans during the alternator R&R, or it was just a coincidence.

How much mileage are you guys getting out of your alternators and radiator/trans cooler/condensers?

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”