G37 navigation/music box question

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
agla

2010 G37 coupe with Infiniti Radio and navigation. Hard drive for music box is starting to fail so i have deleted all music from the hard drive and am using an ipod touch for my music source. I want to update the nav maps from 2010 to the 2017 version. My question does the nav and any updates get stored on the same hard drive or on some other device in the unit? If its stored on the HD and it fails do i lose the nav? If not do you load the 5CD map updates using the cd slot/player or?

Starter
Car: 13 G37X sedan
11 G37S sedan

I'm not certain of the correct answer for you. I do still have my original factory brochure for my 2011 and the only option for navigation includes the "music box" hard drive which leads me to believe that the maps are stored on it. Maybe someone else can help out here.

MotorvateDIY
Car: 2011 G37 Sport Sedan

It is my understanding that there is only 1 drive and it has 4 partitions for different function.

Why do you think the drive is failing?

agla

You are correct about 1 drive...checked with my infiniti dealer. While i am driving,on occasion the screen goes dark and then instantly reboots itself showing the Infiniti logo etc. Everything works fine after that. It can be days before it does it again. I deleted all my music that was loaded in the music box and since then i have had no problems. The dealer checked it out as part of a diagnostic check and they actually saw the problem occur while testing. The solution is to have the drive replaced but in the meantime i will just watch. There are some repair companies in California that do this work and have called them. They confirm they can replace the drive. My Canadian dealer in Vancouver has no repair shop and the Infiniti replacement is $1600 for a complete replacement of the radio etc...not going there! Thanks for your reply.

MotorvateDIY
Car: 2011 G37 Sport Sedan

If it was my car, I would take apart the dash and check for loose connections to the drive and nav systems. (just unplug and plug back in)

If it gets worse, you could try a scrap yard to get the part.

agla

Thanks...if it gets worse i will give it a try.

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”