G37 convertible thoughts...

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
Cobra_Kai_84
Car: 2009 G37S convertible - Athens Blue/Graphite, Premium, Sport, Nav, rear deck spoiler

Just about to hit the 1k mark... love the car... haven't seen a single one on the road besides the dealership.

I don't have many complaints either, and I know there will be some "growing pains" with the car being the first year of production, but here are mine so far...

would be great to get some feedback

I have the convertible with premium, sport, and navigation packages.

1. when top is up, I hear a consistent rattle in the right side of the rear window whenever I go over any bumps... its pretty noticeable, and the service guys can't figure it out at this point when I brought it in. any noise from the rear window when the top is up?

2. outside temperature gauge is not very accurate. not sure if it is because of where it is place on the car (near the engine) but it always runs high (usually displays 3-5 degrees higher than the outside temp) it's a silly thing, but I wish it was more accurate.

3. Manual says you can operate the roof (up to down) from outside the vehicle buy holding the driver door request button until it opens. Mine doesn't do anything when I press the button. Why is it in the manual??

4. GAS MILEAGE. it's not good. I have a very short commute to work (about 3 miles) and its local streets and lights, but I do manage to get it on the highway from time to time, but I'm averaging close to 15 MPG. They say it gets 17 city and 25 highway, but I'm always near 15 MPG, even with highway driving...

any thoughts?

love the car. love the way it looks and sounds. nothing else like it on the road that costs around the same money...

ps: I got the rear deck spoiler ( with built-in radio antenna) put on a couple weeks ago. I fully recommend getting it. totally changes the way the back of the car looks. looks great. and no more rubber antenna crap!!! I took that off the day I got the car, but still had to drive around with a black rubber stump! Now it is gone, with the exception of the XM bump, but it looks sweet.

cmesurf
Car: Infinitis, 03 FX35, 07 g35 sedan, 05 FX45, 09 G-vert & 14 Q50S Hybrid AWD

1. when top is up, I hear a consistent rattle in the right side of the rear window whenever I go over any bumps... its pretty noticeable, and the service guys can't figure it out at this point when I brought it in. any noise from the rear window when the top is up?

I have same issue but the tech told me let it settle (all the components of the roof) and then bring it in ....

2) Where did you get the rear deck spoiler ( with built-in radio antenna) put on a couple weeks ago. and how much did you pay? Thanks

cotandem
Car: Infiniti G37C

On ours, one touch of the outside rubber thingy by the door handle locks or unlocks the car. By pressing and holding the rubber thingy the windows go down followed by the top. Like my technical wording??

Would love to see pics of your vehicle with the new antenna you installed...

Cobra_Kai_84
Car: 2009 G37S convertible - Athens Blue/Graphite, Premium, Sport, Nav, rear deck spoiler

pictures of my car are on the picture thread in the forum (started by steve the tech)

you can't miss mine... its Athens Blue

Cobra_Kai_84

cotandem wrote:On ours, one touch of the outside rubber thingy by the door handle locks or unlocks the car. By pressing and holding the rubber thingy the windows go down followed by the top. Like my technical wording??
I didn't realize that the car had to be OFF to initiate the roof mechanism (top to down)

I was trying to do it with the car ON, and it didn't do anything.

I haven't tried it yet, but it would be nice to see the top do it's thing from another perspective, I'm always in the driver's seat when I do it!!!

I assume then that there is enough battery power to operate the roof mechanism without power from the vehicle running... have you put the top down this way???

cotandem
Car: Infiniti G37C

No worries re electrical drain. I have done it numerous times with no issues.

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

It's a sweet a** car...and will be 10x better once/if Infiniti works out all the bugs.

kpmnd85

Where did you get your spoiler? I've been trying to get one. Would you mind sharing what was the cost of the spoiler and the install?

Cobra_Kai_84

All of the convertibles built through the month of June did not have an option to have the spoiler put on during production, even the custom orders. So I ordered the spoiler part around the same time that I ordered my car.

Initially it was on back-order. I was hoping to have the spoiler come in by the time my car was delivered, so they could put it on the day the car arrived. When my car came in mid July, the spoiler was still on back-order. It finally came in about 5 weeks after I got my car.

I think the total was $850 before tax ($730 for the spoiler itself and the rest was for service/labor). Its a pretty extensive process to put on the spoiler. they have to remove the chrome mini-spoiler entirely and I believe they removed the existing camera, and put a whole new camera that is embedded in the spoiler.

As for spoiler availability, I have heard various stories about that. I have heard that they are still available, but on back-order. I have also heard that they are discontinuing spoiler production for the time being and that's it no longer available. But I don't know exactly what is going with it.

Your best bet is to ask your service manager or parts manager and see what the situation is on the rear deck spoiler.

it's a pricey addition, but IMHO it's worth it. No more ridiculous rubber antenna, and it also dramatically changes how the back of the car looks. The radio reception is great, XM reception the same, and the camera is actually in a better spot, giving you a greater visual range with the back-up camera.

hope you can get it!

cmesurf
Car: Infinitis, 03 FX35, 07 g35 sedan, 05 FX45, 09 G-vert & 14 Q50S Hybrid AWD

The Integrated antenna spoiler manufacturer is having production problems and Infiniti is trying to work the issue. It's about 2 hour job to install the spoiler. The camera is same and once it's available, I'll get it.

I found a nifty way to reduce the size of the trunk mounted antenna for now - only few inches and I have no reception issues. I'll attach photo in few days.

DaviddelWA
Car: 2009 G37 Convertible, black on black

I had an Audi with the same problem with the temp. But I find that my G37 does not have this issue at least with the cool weather here in Seattle. Summer time heat definitely effects everyone's gauges.

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”