G37 Convertible shelf not stable

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
G37blueturbo09
Car: G37 convertible
lapis blue

I have a 2009 g37-My shelf was lying in the trunk after I put the top down so I tried to install it back into place but it is not stable (which means I didn't put it back on properly). If you just touch the top it moves up & down so I know it needs to come back out.
Now I do not know how to remove it, since I need to re position it- any suggestions?

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Not sure...but I'll copy this thread in the 'vert section. Maybe those guys will know.

bschurr
Car: 2009 G37S 6MT Conv

ohhhh - that (unfortunately) feels like a dealer fix. That thing is synchronized to the other 42 individual movements that make up the convertible top action - screwing that up could be expensive.

Sorry & good luck!

jeremy8000
Car: 2009 G37s Convertible

G37blueturbo09 wrote:I have a 2009 g37-My shelf was lying in the trunk after I put the top down so I tried to install it back into place but it is not stable (which means I didn't put it back on properly). If you just touch the top it moves up & down so I know it needs to come back out.
Now I do not know how to remove it, since I need to re position it- any suggestions?
Reviving this ancient thread as I'm having what I suspect is the same issue.

The other day I pulled out of my driveway and was coasting down my street at about 20mph when I heard a 'thunk.' I pulled over and popped the trunk (it was chilly out, so I had not opened the top) and saw the shelf lying on the base of the trunk. I had not hit any speed bumps or anything, so I had no idea what had caused it.

I took it to the dealer who looked at it and indicated that the 3 bolts by which the deck was mounted to the rest of the assembly, those bolts being OEM pressure-molded into the deck, had slipped loose from the deck and that's why it had fallen out. He said they see a number of cars come in with this problem and that it would not likely be covered by my extended warranty (through CNA) as this would have been caused by either excessive weight on the deck, like someone sitting on it, or by pressure against it when it was closing by something in the trunk. The quoted repair cost was about $400, which isn't too terrifying, but I don't feel that the diagnosis and assignment of blame match the evidence so much as they are a 'convenient' answer that probably does match 90% of the situations they see.

I bought it ('09 G37s) last January and have never actually kept anything in the trunk other than in that small space that's usable with the separator up, and no weight has ever been applied to the lid with or without the top down (I never leave it open parked), so neither of those scenarios could apply - my thought is that it probably just loosened over time and is indicative of normal wear or perhaps defective manufacture if the molding wasn't tight enough. The place where the bolts were mounted don't show any cracks or shearing that I would expect to be evident if it were the result of applied force.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and been able to have it covered under OEM or extended warranty?

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”