G37 convertible performance in rain or snow

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
golfdick
Car: 2007 g35x

Lease is up on my g35x and am looking at the convertible.My biggest concern is how this car will drive in adverse conditions such as rain or snow. I live in central coastal New Jersey.

pwlorraine
Car: 2009 G37 convertible moon white / stone / auto / sport/premium/nav/tech 2010 EX35 nav/bose/premium/

golfdick wrote:Lease is up on my g35x and am looking at the convertible.My biggest concern is how this car will drive in adverse conditions such as rain or snow. I live in central coastal New Jersey.
Without snow tires, the car is undrivable with even a light dusting. With snows it should be "ok". I'm still driving my BMW vert with snow tires as I've only got the summer tires on the g37 - the BMW vert handles very well - not like my Audi did but it gets around. I'll buy winter rims and tires for next season.

Peter

bschurr
Car: 2009 G37S 6MT Conv

No issues in the rain, just keep the top up. I am in Northern NJ and in its factory condition (read no snow tires) it is undrivable in snowy conditions. The tires are a summer compound so once temps get below 35 dgrees they get very hard and a little slippery - just add snow and you have a real disaster. Snow tires would help but the vert will be a MUCH different driving experience than your X

But really, how many days a year do you we have snow in NJ? 10 MAYBE? Dont let the other 355 days of the year influence your decision. Go for it!

pwlorraine
Car: 2009 G37 convertible moon white / stone / auto / sport/premium/nav/tech 2010 EX35 nav/bose/premium/

bschurr wrote:No issues in the rain, just keep the top up. I am in Northern NJ and in its factory condition (read no snow tires) it is undrivable in snowy conditions. The tires are a summer compound so once temps get below 35 dgrees they get very hard and a little slippery - just add snow and you have a real disaster. Snow tires would help but the vert will be a MUCH different driving experience than your X

But really, how many days a year do you we have snow in NJ? 10 MAYBE? Dont let the other 355 days of the year influence your decision. Go for it!
I wouldn't drive a g37 coupe in the winter without snow/winter tires either. But if you are getting this soon - make sure you've got either alternate transportation for days where there might be snow or ice on the roads or you get winter tires from the get-go.

Peter

Potomac-Greg
Car: 2009 G37 Convertible

I've got the OEM all-season dunlop tires (DC area) and have had to drive in snow this winter. I really have been impressed. I have to give all the credit to the tires. The traction/stability control is actually pretty lax, and allows a surprising amount of slip and slide.

You have to ask yourself first, how many days do your REALLY have to drive in the snow. Should you vastly alter your buying decision because of those few days?

How easy was it to drop the top on your G35x sedan? How many days will you be REALLY happy you had a drop top? A lot more than the snow days.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

With the factory tires my coupe is pretty worthless in the snow. The wifes G35s has Hankook Ventus V4 all-seasons and it does "ok" in the snow but not what I would really like it to be. If I were to live up north I'd look into some Blizzak's for winter use.

KayC

My dealer told me to turn off the VDS in the snow or ice..

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

KayC wrote:My dealer told me to turn off the VDS in the snow or ice..
I think you misheard what the dealer said. If you get stuck in the snow or ice then you should disable the VDC system so you can free yourself. Once out, turn the system back on.

Driving without VDC in inclement weather is not a good idea.

Potomac-Greg
Car: 2009 G37 Convertible

KayC wrote:My dealer told me to turn off the VDS in the snow or ice..

Don't do that! Did he also tell you to turn off the headlights when it's dark?

As indicated, the only time to try turning it off is if you're stuck and maybe a little wheelspin will help you get loose.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Correct, cuz VDC will bog the car to the point that it won't even allow the tires to spin when stuck. if stuck in mud/snow then turn VDC off and apply a bit of parking brake to ensure you don't immediately go into spinning the tires.

golfdick
Car: 2007 g35x

Ended up going with the 09 vert garnet with wheat interior and wood trim along with premium and nav. Also ordered a set of blizzak snow tires which i had mounted before delivery. This past weekend we received over a foot of snow and i went out looking for the toughest conditions. The tires handled all the different snow conditions without one hiccup. So in the end the tires were a great investment.

audtatious

Yep, in certain areas it's a key investment with a G or any other performance-oriented RWD car. I simply try not to go anywhere when it snows at this point.

bschurr
Car: 2009 G37S 6MT Conv

golfdick wrote:Ended up going with the 09 vert garnet with wheat interior and wood trim along with premium and nav. Also ordered a set of blizzak snow tires which i had mounted before delivery. This past weekend we received over a foot of snow and i went out looking for the toughest conditions. The tires handled all the different snow conditions without one hiccup. So in the end the tires were a great investment.
Congrats on the new ride! I came back from Florida to find NO SNOW in northern NJ

Hopefully the white stuff will come tonight!

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”