G35S Automatic Throttle Response and driver adjustments from manual cars

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
jnix
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35S

Hey all--

Just got a 2007 G35S (blue slate, loaded) last Saturday, after years of driving manual transmissions. A variety of family circumstances made the automatic the right choice, but I'm finding a few things hard to adjust to with it. For context, most recently I was driving a Mazda Protege5.

1. Any tips on using the manual mode for as authentic of a manual experience as possible? Should I be downshifting to stop or letting the car reset to 1st on it's own? Any difference in response between the floor shift and the paddles? Any tips would be appreciated, since I'd like to believe the "S" stands for something.

2. The throttle seems to be "hesitating" to me. From dead stop, I hit the floor, and about 1-1.5 seconds later, the car launches. Same response on the highway to get to passing gears. It /seems/ less pronounced in DS, but I'm not sure about that. Is there an adjustment that can be made so the car moves not only /how/ I tell it, but /when/? Perhaps I need to adjust my driving technique as well? I'm used to driving smaller, quick engines like in the mazda, so I fully accept that this could either be behavioral on my part, or that it's just the consequence of driving an auto, but I sure hope there's something that could be done.

I do really love the car, I'm just feeling sort of detached from it--probably accentuated by how much more luxurious the G is than any car I've ever driven before. It's beautiful, powerful, comfortable, and the engineering is visible and tactile in just about every nook and cranny of the car. So, what should I be doing differently so that I enjoy driving it as completely as I enjoy looking at it and touching it (and talking to it).

I don't want anyone to think I'm complaining--I really am just asking. I know I'm not the first guy to have to give up manual transmissions. Maybe there's a support group. And anyway, if I have to get used to automatics for a while, there's not a car on the road I'd rather do it in.

Thanks all,

--joshua.

gama
Car: 2007 G35 Sedan S

hi, and welcome...i got my g35 sedan 5 months ago. autow/paddles.i had the same complaint but it changed...i beleive its because its in break in stage. the computer will adjust to your driving conditions...i now noticed a better throttle response now that i have 5,600 miles on it. DS mode just revs higher on gear change but D drive is a little late on response...but it got better..i did notice in the begining that it took long time to downshift on full throttle..but now it responds faster.. thats my opinion..hope someone else feels the same who had a newg sedan for a couple of months. hope it helps you!!! congrats.. its a great car..i love it..lots of power over 4000 rpm..

ACoupe

Great question as I too would like a little more info on how to get the most out of my manul shift mode.Is there an RPM range you should wait to downshift during when coming to a stop?

zozoka1212
Car: 08 Infiniti G35x

jnix wrote:Hey all--From dead stop, I hit the floor,

How about the brake in period. you are just like me I guess.

It will be better after a month or so.

Zozoka

gama

using the paddles: you can down shift if you want!!! but you really dont have to because it will down shift for you when you stop!!! you have the option to down shift with paddles but it will do it for you in case you forget .. but will not up shift automaticaly(w/paddles) ...you have to up shift on manuel mode.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Remember that you only ask the computer to shift the car...it's not like the Ferrari trans...

jnix
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35S

Everything is still stock obviously, as I'm only about 9 days into Infiniti ownership, but here's a pic, since it seems the norm for NICO:

Thanks for the reassurance. After looking over all the forums, it sounds like the Stillen intake and a hypergrounding kit will likely be the first mods. I like the sound of the Stillen that Suby posted, and my wife will like the increased gas mileage. Can anyone confirm a ~2mpg increase with a better intake like this?

The ground kit over at http://www.groundinggear.com/ claims increased power and throttle response, especially on the 5AT. Any cautionary tails there? Seems to me that it either works or it doesn't, but that there wouldn't be any downside risk to better ground.

I'd still love to hear any paddle-shifting/manual mode use advice, if there's any to give.

zozoka1212

Nice color. Don't be too sure about the gasmilage(saving). I tell you why. You will push it harder because you are going to love the sound of the stillen. Ask suby I don't think he saves any on gas. I am ordering one soon and know for sure I won't save a penny. I will go out more to drive just to hear it.

Zozoka

gama

i think stillen and fujita intakes probably sound the same!

zozoka1212

i'd say really close. Time will tell. When more people going to upgrade. Only the look different. That's why I ordered stillen more stock looking.

Zozoka

gama

i ordered fujita...because it was also cheaper!!! $280 i got for..but stillen has the cleaner stock look..i just thought it was too much $$$ but hey if you have the $$$ go for it..they should all give same performance and sound.

zozoka1212

Yes the Fujita is cheaper. Hey $100 stays in your pocket. It would be same performance.

Zozoka

gama

yea,, but always keep your stock boxes because you never know what can happen in case something goes wrong and you have to bring it to the dealer!!! they wi blame on the intakes!!!

zozoka1212

Oh I will. I actually talked to the dealer this morning. They even offered me to put it on. He said for free.

Zozoka

gama

you bought the car or lease?

zozoka1212

I bought it. I guess you did not read the last night stupidity. So yes I bought it. I was thinking just to lease because I won't keep it for more than 3 years but than I went with buying.

Zozoka

soul_hfk
Car: 2010 G37xS---08 QX56

i did the same zozoka was going to lease but loved the car so much

gama

well...i always like to get new cars ..and i get tired of them very quick.. but the new g.35 is so great..that i might keep it maybe..have it for 5 months!! love it..better throttle reponse now though!!!

zozoka1212

Yea love it so much. My wife just laughing on me. She keep asking why. I had nice cars before. I told her I can't realy tell why i just love it as it is.

Zozoka

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”