G35 winter driving

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
rexbaltimore

I'm considering purchasing a 2003 G35 sedan - rear wheel drive ... I live in Canada and do a fair amount of winter driving.Does anyone have any comments on how good /bad the car will be in snow ?

It does come with a set of winter tires but I am still a little concerned.Any insight would be appreciated .

Thanks

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

I'm not a good source here, as I am unfamiliar with this "snow" of which you speak...

However, I have heard / read that the G is fine as long as you are willing to drive with the VDC on (vehicle dynamic control).

Also, I am told that when starting on VERY slick surfaces, it is helpful to turn VDC OFF in order to allow SOME wheelspin in order to gain initial startup traction.

There are those who will say you need FWD or even AWD - But they forget, the number of drive wheels has very little to do with slippery-condition stability. Keep in mind, the G sedan also comes in an AWD version - the G35x.

All cars have 4 contact patches: Make the most of them.

Welcome to NICO, hope you find all the info you need here!

jdanielsg

rexbaltimore wrote:I'm considering purchasing a 2003 G35 sedan - rear wheel drive ... I live in Canada and do a fair amount of winter driving.Does anyone have any comments on how good /bad the car will be in snow ?

It does come with a set of winter tires but I am still a little concerned.Any insight would be appreciated .

Thanks
hey guy i am in Ottawa and I am thinking of getting the G35 too most probably the G35X, have you done your research? I lived in Toronto before and there r lots of G35 so I dunt think you should have issues, here in Ottawa there is ALOT more snow and I dunt know maybe a AWD will help me get out of stickier n foto deep snow conditions... maybe you wanna get in touch on MSN or something to discuss where your research has brought you so far or respond here to start our own canadian discussion

rexbaltimore

Thanks for the replies !

JD, you are right about Ottawa and the fact that there is a lot more snow there than in Toronto ..but.. I travel to and from Sudbury Ont. 3-4 times a month so that is my concern on winter handling.Otherwise I wouldn't worry at all as you can get through a Toronto winter with good all season radials.

The car I am looking at is an "off-lease" '03 G35 "Luxury Pkg" so I don't have the luxury at the moment of trying a G35X .I am turning an A4 Quattro in and that car goes through the snow like it has tracks !

timmer
Car: 2004 Infinity G35

I can only tell you that we leave our coupe at home when there is any chance of snow or ice. Too much HP with no weight in rear.Take the train.

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

timmer wrote:I can only tell you that we leave our coupe at home when there is any chance of snow or ice. Too much HP with no weight in rear.Take the train.
I do the same thing. I drive the Jeep. More than 2 inches on my driveway and I can't even get into the garage because of a slight slope.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”