G35 Transmission Problems

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
dharrington10.12.12
Car: 2005 Infinity G35 Coupe

Hello All!

I have a 2005 G35 with a unique problem. When in Manual mode the transmission often will not shift out of whatever gear I'm in. It also seems that when it's at operating temp it sometimes kicks me back into normal drive mode. I am purchasing the Transgo shift kit and a set of solenoids. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

larsG35
Car: '04 G35 6MT sedan

Perhaps I'm not quite understanding, but this doesn't seem to be abnormal behavior.

The manual override should cause the AT to preferentially stay in the selected gear. If the engine is approaching the redline, the computer will still upshift; if the computer detects inappropriate load/gear (lugging), it downshifts. Also I think at stable cruising speeds it eventually just switches back to D.

Can you give more specific scenarios of what seems to be incorrect behavior of the AT?

Lars

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

dharrington10.12.12 wrote:Hello All!

I have a 2005 G35 with a unique problem. When in Manual mode the transmission often will not shift out of whatever gear I'm in. It also seems that when it's at operating temp it sometimes kicks me back into normal drive mode. I am purchasing the Transgo shift kit and a set of solenoids. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Cross-posting (i.e. posting the same topic in more than one forum board) is frowned upon. It's confusing and often counterproductive. Please choose the forum topic that is closest to your topic, and place it there only. If you should create a post in one forum, and later realize it would be more appropriate in another forum, please delete the original before posting it again.

Duplicate thread deleted.

dharrington10.12.12

The best example I can think of is as follows. The transmission will often stick between first and second gear it simply will not shift up in manual mode. Other times I can't event switch into manual mode when moving the selector over. I have not experienced what you described at cruising speed. When I can get the transmission into manual mode and working it will not switch over to D at cruising speed. It will stay in whatever gear I put it in. Coming to a stop I know the transmission automatically downshifts.

larsG35
Car: '04 G35 6MT sedan

Hmm, obviously it's difficult to diagnose over a forum post, but it sounds like possibly the shift lock solenoid. (If it's always a problem related to the car not recognizing where you moved the shifter knob)

Otherwise it can be the micro processor in the shifter assembly.

I wouldn't really expect this to be the problem, but checking/changing fuses and the AT fluid maybe would help...

I hope that at least gives you a place to start.
Good luck,
Lars

dharrington10.12.12

I think I will start with the Shift Selector and AT fluid level. I know the Lock solenoid works properly, otherwise I would not be able to get the car out of park. I have heard that the trans temp sensor on the Valve body can malfunction and cause the computer to kick the Trans out of manual as well.

Shortstop215
Car: G35

I was recently told by the dealership at Infiniti that my transmission needed to be replaced. My car is a 2007 G35 with 53,000 miles. I purchased the vehicle 6 years ago, and during that time I put a little less than 23,000 miles on the car. The vehicle has been serviced exclusively by the Infiniti dealership that I purchased the car from. Since 2011, while under warranty it has been documented that I have consistently heard a humming sound while accelerating. This complaint was made 3 times while under warranty, each time the cause of the noise was attributed to something other than the transmission. Recent research has led me to discover that the noise could have been an early warning sign of a faulty transmission. I am seeking advice on how I can effectively advocate for myself. The vehicle has a Blue Book value of less than $8000. A transmission from the dealership will cost $7500, paying for this repair is not an option. If the noise was an early indication of a faulty transmission, do I have a case for the dealership to pay for the repairs or provide me compensation?

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”