G35 Tranny problem

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
WhiteyClay
Car: '03 G35 Sedan

Hi, I got my 2003 G35 sedan. lately when im driving on a highway for a while and I want to switch from automatic to autostick it jumps into 4th gear and stays there( It always jumped on 4th gear even if i was stoped i had to downshift to 1 to take off). So now I cannot downshif or upshift it just stays of 4th until i restart the engine.It all started when I was going from reverse to drive pretty quick and at first i heard some noise in the back( sounded like it came from rear drivetrain) Am I missing gear oil in my drivetrain. Or is my transmition goin bad, or is it just stupid sensors playing with me.Oh yeah no check engine light goes on.

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

Help should be on the way soon!

Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

Sounds like the TCM (transmission control module). Depending on what speed you're traveling, depends on what gear it'll put you in when you go to manumatic.

Why would you switch from reverse to drive while moving quickly backwards? You HAD to have known that it would be bad for the tranny?

I would take it to the stealership and see if they can check the TCM.

infinitgkid
Car: '06 Infiniti G35 Coupe

beancooker wrote:Sounds like the TCM (transmission control module). Depending on what speed you're traveling, depends on what gear it'll put you in when you go to manumatic.

Why would you switch from reverse to drive while moving quickly backwards? You HAD to have known that it would be bad for the tranny?

I would take it to the stealership and see if they can check the TCM.
haha stealership... thats a good one, i've never heard that before...

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

To understand why you should NEVER go from reverse to drive while moving fast, check here

WhiteyClay

I think ya understood me wrong or I wrote it wrong... not driving fast and shhifting to reverse. I ment to say that when im driving im coming to a stop quickly and then put it in to reverse.But nevermind that... I just checked the oil on the tranny and I guess the previous owner added the oil through the dipstick cuz I checked and it shows at least 2inches over then it suposed to show on the dipstick.You guys think its the reason it shakes a little?

Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

Did you check the tranny fkuid while it was running? It is best to start the car, shift from park to drive and back to park. Leave it running, and check fluid. Make sure that you're on flat ground.

If you did that, and it is too full, you may need to have some sucked out.

Andy_V35Sky_350GT
Car: 2003 Nissan Skyline 350GT

I don't really use semi manual so I don't really know much about it, only touched it once or twice in the G, however, i checked it out this afternoon and it seems it wont go above 4th, you cant click it into 5th. I was, however, only do around 50-60km an hour so I don't know if there is a minimum speed for 5th.

Is this normal? Also, when your in 5th and shift to semi manual, it downshifts automatically to 4th. Normal?

WhiteyClay

Yeah i checked while the engine was running and hot....Thanks guys for the HELP....

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”